• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

I am Groot premieres on August with five shorts

What If? Season 2 drops in early 2023.

X-Men ‘97 will have some major additions to the main team including Magneto as the leader. It’s set for 2023.

Spider-Man: Freshman Year is presumably set in the MCU but looks very different and has teen heroes that will attend Peter’s high school but no MJ and Ned. Charlie Cox will be playing Daredevil.

Marvel Zombies and Spidey come out in 2024.

To add on to this, here is some info from the first day of Marvel's SDCC panel about the animated series.

I AM GROOT:

That looks hilarious. Wonder how long each episode is going to be. They are called shorts, so is that like 10 minutes, or more like 2-3 minutes?

- Also confirmed there will be a 5 additional "I Am Groot" episodes in the future.

SPIDER-MAN: FRESHMAN YEAR:

- Spider-Man: Freshman Year will be a sort of elseworld/"What If...?" kind of deal where it's WHAT IF... Peter Parker had met Norman Osborn instead of Tony Stark.

gk0cGj8t_o.png

- Characters include Nico Minoru from The Runaways, Amadeus Cho, Harry Osborn, Daredevil (Charlie Cox) in his comic-accurate black suit, as well as Dr. Strange (unknown if Benedict Cumberbatch will voice).

- Spidey will also NOT be voiced by Tom Holland.

- Spidey will be wearing a wide variety of suits (including a DIY suit before the traditional Ditko unitard look, a Beetle suit and an Osborn created one).

8emPtkmb_o.png

- Villains include: Unicorn, Chameleon, Scorpion, Speed Demon, Tarantula, Rhino, and Doc Ock. (I'm not versed on Spidey's villains beyond the more popular ones, so you guys can point out who is who and who may be missing from the above list from this preview below):

WFDK0vrE_o.png

- There is also a second season subtitled Sophomore Year currently in development.

WHAT IF...? (Season 2):

- Captain Carter in DS:MoM is a different variant from "What If...?" version.

- Hall H attendees were able to see an episode entitled "What If...Captain Carter Fought The HYDRA Stomper?". Seemingly confirming theories that the version of Steve Rogers in the suit at the end of Season 1 was a "Winter Soldier" version.

- Footage also showed images of a battle between warriors from the Shang-Chi corner of the universe and Odin & the Asgardians; * a Mad Max Fury Road style road race with a Skrull biker gang and Widows from the movie "Black Widow" (see below)*, and I think Valkyrie and Iron Man/Tony Stark on Sakaar (this is probably the missing episode from Season 1 where Gamora was pulled from at the end of Season 1 where everyone was like "WTF, where was that episode" that showed Tony in a Hulk-buster suit that had graffiti on it like Sakaar; Peggy Carter and Steve Rogers reuniting after Avengers: Endgame;

5KdZB1H8_o.png

* The bolded section and image above may have been from the Marvel Zombies footage, I'm not sure, the info I found was a little confusing.

- There was also a look at what seems like a really cool episode from the "Marvel 1602" run in the comics by Neil Gaiman (showing Earth-311...in which Dr. Strange is a physician to the Queen) described below (this is a description of the comics run, not necessarily the "What If...?" episode):

The eight-part series takes place in a timeline where Marvel superheroes exist in the Elizabethan era; faced with the destruction of their world by a mysterious force, the heroes must fight to save their universe. Many of the early Marvel superheroes — Nick Fury, the X-Men, the Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man — as well as villains such as Doctor Doom and Magneto appear in various roles.

- Season 3 of "What If...?" also confirmed for the future.

X-Men '97:

- Series will pick up where previous animated series left off and will include all of the same heroes you remember from that series:
Rogue, Gambit, Wolverine, Jubilee, Cyclops, Storm, Jean Grey, and Beast. They will all be voiced by the original surviving voice actors except Jubilee, whose voice actress will be voicing another character as she wanted Jubilee to be voiced by an Asian actress.
Here they are below, where the only real difference seems to be Storm's hair in more of a pixie cut/faux hawk kinda deal.

EhmQD1Wg_o.png

- As noted, at the end of the previous series, Charles Xavier goes into space, so the new series will have a bad-ass looking Magneto leading the team:

HBIQ3JBU_o.png

- Other characters also to appear include: Nightcrawler, Forge, Bishop, Cable, Morph, and Sunspot (seen below):

NsLUgMj9_o.png

- Villains to include: Mister Sinister, Callisto, Sebastian Shaw, Emma Frost/White Queen and Val Cooper (see below):

m9xx5dEh_o.png

MARVEL ZOMBIES:

- Will follow a ragtag group of heroes including: Yelena Belova, Kate Bishop, Jimmy Woo (wtf?, also in a survival suit), Shang-Chi, Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel, Death Dealer from Shang-Chi, Red Guardian from Black Widow, and Katy from Shang-Chi (see below):

g1oBphjd_o.png

- They will be fighting a group of zombified characters including: Okoye, Hawkeye (full of arrows), Abomination (with an interesting half purple/one sided zombification look), legless Captain America/Steve Rogers, Captain Marvel, Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch, and Ghost. There also appears to be a large figure looming in the background, not sure if that's maybe Giant Man, or Hulk, or Thanos, or someone else (it looks like he has pointy Skrull ears, so maybe a Skrull-Hulk, or something weird). They're also surrounded by what appears to be Wakandan soldiers with spears, so it will likely either take place in or pickup from where the Episode in "What If...?" that ended in Wakanda (see below):

wjwUPntv_o.png

- There's also a shot of a pseudo-zombified Ikaris of the Eternals, but since he is an Eternal, he can't really become a full Zombie, so he's always in a state of living and dying (see below):

Gft6lnPW_o.png

- Also of note that Marvel Zombies will be rated TV-MA, and feature a TON of gore and grossness, especially for a Disney+ show, so that's exciting!

Anyway....those were my notes for the Marvel Animation Panel at SDCC. Let me know what you guys think!

The safe bet is Phases 7-9 will be the Mutant Saga or the X Saga or something like that. They seeded enough at the end of Ms. Marvel to slow play in for the next few years then go all in with X-Men in 2026 which is less than four years from now. I would expect Phases 5-6 to introduce a few key players, maybe establish that Xavier is running a school for mutant kids, establish the Sentinel program and further establish fear of powered children, and establish Magneto and a few villains.

I think you're probably right. The next couple of Phases will be Multiverse/Kang/Fantastic Four/Doom/Secret Wars related, with the introduction of the X-Men, maybe right before Secret Wars, or IN Secret Wars, or post-credits, and then they will lead the next Phase. Seems like Secret Wars would be an interesting place to bring in characters from another universe, like maybe the X-Men/Mutants were from another universe and they'd meet our heroes in Battleworld. But considering they will be introducing a lot of characters between now and then and having multiple storylines conclude in those films, I doubt the X-Men would appear before a post-credits scene in one of the Avengers movies.

My speculation is that Kang is the Beyonders proxy. They may well introduce the Beyonders (potentially bad news for Celestials) still but it seems like a lot to include. I'll predict Kang Dynasty is analogous to "Time Runs Out". I'll put this in spoiler just for safety, though, again, it's pure speculation.
Kang Dynasty concludes with the end of all universes. Post-credit shows a new world created and introduces us to - GOD EMPEROR DOOM

I really like this theory.

I think it would work well in the storyline, but also, how do they get all of the characters back for Secret Wars....they can't just reintroduce them there, that would take up too much of the movie....though I like the idea that I saw from someone on YouTube that Secret Wars could potentially be multiple movies i.e. Infinity War/Endgame. It would only make sense seeing as how Secret Wars would theoretically involve a TON of characters

Ok, now that I've spent over an hour typing up all that and uploading/posting the images, I'm going to go watch the last 2 episodes of Stranger Things 4 with my nephew.

Looks like Disney+ is open for business for TV-MA shows and R rated films. Both Deadpools and Logan are on D+ now.

The speed of Phase 5 really interests me. There is a lot in there for such a short period

Pickle just curious, have you read the 2015 Secret Wars? The "how they got there" is very, very Doom-centric.

Pickle just curious, have you read the 2015 Secret Wars? The "how they got there" is very, very Doom-centric.

This + Hickman's Avengers run is essential reading for folks who want to get a sense of where we're going

I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent amount of Coates's Black Panther run in there, especially with the gods being such an important part of Thor 4 (nevermind the fact that we'll probably find out that MCU Storm is a goddess pretty soon, if I'm reading the clues correctly).

What clues?

Now that we have the gods in the MCU (Moon Knight + Thor 4) and whatever direction that Ms. Marvel chooses to go with Kamala's origins (in the show, she doesn't get her powers through terrigenesis, but it's implied that they're Kree in origin regardless) and the reveal that this will be about Namor's genocidal attack on Wakanda (attributed to a disappearance of the gods in the comics), it only makes sense that they will build that piece out in BP2 while smuggling in another X-Men character into a major MCU event.

I'm guessing that the MCU Storm will be Ororo from the Black Panther comics, who is to T'Challa what Nakia is in the movies (they're married in the TNC run). The difference is that she's actually a Bast-caliber goddess in her own right (or mutant, though I think we're supposed to believe that the MCU gods are eternals/titans, aliens, inhumans, and mutants, etc.)?

It's fun to watch the threads start to emerge. We have been talking about Secret Wars, for example, as a potential route for awhile and it's come true!

I have not read that...only summaries or youtube videos discussing it. I need to read them though.

This + Hickman's Avengers run is essential reading for folks who want to get a sense of where we're going

I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent amount of Coates's Black Panther run in there, especially with the gods being such an important part of Thor 4 (nevermind the fact that we'll probably find out that MCU Storm is a goddess pretty soon, if I'm reading the clues correctly).

I really want to go and read these comic runs so I can be prepared on what to look for. I'm always reacting to what I see instead of seeing the threads emerge...would be fun to come at it differently for Phases 5 and 6.

I have not read that...only summaries or youtube videos discussing it. I need to read them though.

I really want to go and read these comic runs so I can be prepared on what to look for. I'm always reacting to what I see instead of seeing the threads emerge...would be fun to come at it differently for Phases 5 and 6.

Slim, I’m kinda shocked you’re not a comics guy. I love reading your takes on here! I think you’ll love them tbh.

Between my wife and son having COVID, my mother-in-law being sick, and my mom having had surgery, we got backed up on the Marvel stuff but am finally caught up.

Ms. Marvel: loved it. I knew very little about Muslim culture and enjoying learning what Partition was. I was a bit annoyed that her powers were the result of magical artifact and went away from the Inhuman origins but it seemed like they walked it back in the finale.

Thor: Love and Thunder: super fun. I don't think it was as good as Ragnarok but definitely better than the first two. I don't hate they keep making Thor movies and I'm glad some of the original Avengers will still be around in some form. Christian Bale was a great villain with a compelling story and Natalie Portman looked jacked. Curious how Hercules will fold in given that he's an essentially a good guy but Zeus is setting him up to be a villain.

Black Panther: super excited about the movie. I really hope it's Nakia as the Black Panther but it will probably be Shuri. Namor looks incredible and I can't wait to see him in action. Hopefully he'll be around the MCU for a while given the FF movie.

Blade: When's that happening?

Avengers Kang: Kinda hesitant now that he's titled in the movie. I figured he'd be the next Thanos level bad but sounds like he might just be a one hit wonder. Curious how a new Avengers team will play given how much the old one was loved.

Avengers Secret Wars: I love the idea that this is going to feature Doom prominently and hope it plays out that way.

X-Men 97: Glad they've reprised a lot of the original cast. I'm curious if it's season one cast or season five cast given that a few actors were recast. Also curious to see how they handle Morph since he looks more like his comic version but they've already had Morph.

Spider-Man Freshman year: Should be interesting. I'll never say no to more Spider-Man cartoons but a bit disappointed (though not surprised) it won't feature the voice actors from the films.

What If?: That was a fun show and glad we're getting more of it.

I think that's everything?

Kang isn’t going to be a one-hit villain because it seems like there will be various versions of Kang across different films. Kang is already slated to start Phase 5 in Ant-Man 3. Shang-Chi 2 is rumored to have the subtitle “Wreckage of Time” so a Kang variant may be in that film.

In essence, Thanos was a "one-hit wonder" as well if you count IW and Endgame as parts 1 and 2 of one story. GotG was the only movie where he did something other than show up for a post credit scene just to sneer.

I think what I mean by that is that Thanos was introduced as a threat at the end of Avengers 1 and things built off that. There were obviously films that didn't really play a role in expanding the Thanos story but the threat was still there.

I think I was hoping to have seen more of Kang by this point but maybe it will pick up after Ant-Man.

Thanos was first introduced in Avengers 1 (end of phase 1) and was finally defeated in Avengers 4 (endish of phase 3), a span of seven years.

If Avengers: Kang Dynasty is his last hurrah, then he was introduced (kinda) in Loki (phase 4) but more realistically in Ant-Man 3 (phase 5) and would wrap up in the Avengers movie (mid phase 6?), a span of either 4 (if you count Loki as his introduction) or 2 (if you go with Ant-Man) years.

I didn't realize that movie was so far along. It was in post-production and they just flushed it down the toilet. I'm still anxious to see what they're going to do with The Flash, a movie they can't use the star for marketing since they're human toxic sludge now.

While I'm composing... I just want to give props to The Orville for having a remarkable season. This last episode contained the best sci-fi action I've ever seen on the small screen. No, I didn't say "some of the best..." it was the best I've seen. MacFarlane got a substantial budget and he's certainly spending it.

This new Discovery merger is killing a lot of products.

I hope this means there’s a total reboot coming.

Back