• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Waiting for Lower Decks S2 to finish so I can binge it.

Very pumped about Strange New Worlds. Want to see what's going on with that Noonien-Singh character. Also excited about new season of Discovery.

Lots of interesting tidbits in the Hawkeye trailer.

Y the Last Man was a comics series I rather enjoyed when it came out. FX-Hulu (or whatever that's called) just released the first 3 episodes of the tv adaptation. I've only watched one episode and I'll watch the other 2 for sure. I'm going to need these other 2 to wow me to keep me on board though. The first one was slugggggish and downright uninteresting.

No doubt there have been no posts following my last one since everyone's on pins and needles to hear my follow-up on the other episodes of Y the Last Man.

I was un-wowed. So, hard pass for me. Maybe check it out if you like post-apocalyptic shows but find Walking Dead to be too exciting and action packed.

On the other hand I finally began Doom Patrol in earnest. That's good stuff. It's as eccentric as the Grant Morrison era comics, even with the inclusion of Cyborg.

I'm too lazy to dig up the Star Wars thread but just a quick note that I found Visions E1 to be fantastic. Loved the Kurosawa vibe, especially since that's how Star Wars began. I've only watched 2 more and didn't care for them. I simply don't like that style of anime but if you're into that, maybe you'll like it. I don't so I didn't.

Disappointed about y. Missed the comic when it came out but was hoping for a new show.

I really enjoyed the first two seasons of doom patrol and looking forward to having time to watch the new season but it'll likely have to wait.

Watched the first episode of visions and we really enjoyed it. Still looking forward to watching the rest since the kids are as well.

I love how I've avoided this thread since Shang Chi came out and now that I've seen it, I come back to find that I really wouldn't have been spoiled on anything.

CBM: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (spoilers)

I think I’m the only one who mentioned it. It didn’t need you all’s help to be the highest grossing pandemic movie.

I think I’m the only one who mentioned it. It didn’t need you all’s help to be the highest grossing pandemic movie.

What'd y'all think?

I wanted to love it. I really enjoyed watching it and think that I ultimately just liked it. Tony Leung's US debut exceeded expectations. Legend. Badass.

I don't love Simu Liu on Kim's Convenience, but he was good in this and had some solid chemistry with Awkwafina.

Aesthetically, this is a top-5 Marvel movie, but probably ranks somewhere in the middle of the pack for me as film.

On the other hand I finally began Doom Patrol in earnest. That's good stuff. It's as eccentric as the Grant Morrison era comics, even with the inclusion of Cyborg.

It's almost too much like the comics 4 eps in, for me. Morrison's run are some of my favorite comics and it's pretty wild that they pulled it off. I just remember some of those stories so vividly that it feels almost too literal, which is bizarre considering the material.

I'm hoping that it breaks free a bit after they resolve the Mr Nobody plotline.

What'd y'all think?

I wanted to love it. I really enjoyed watching it and think that I ultimately just liked it. Tony Leung's US debut exceeded expectations. Legend. Badass.

I don't love Simu Liu on Kim's Convenience, but he was good in this and had some solid chemistry with Awkwafina.

Aesthetically, this is a top-5 Marvel movie, but probably ranks somewhere in the middle of the pack for me as film.

I posted my thoughts a few pages back after I saw it. Shang-Chi is probably second tier MCU for me on par with Black Widow and Captain Marvel. Marvel has solved the villain problem. I'd love to see a Disney+ show that covers Wenwu's time in Ta Lo. And I think we may get one about the new Ten Rings organization. That was left very open-ended.

I read that Awkwafina was the first person they cast and that was a great decision. She was very good in this. She did chemistry reads with all the actors auditioning for the role of Shang-Chi and that paid off. Their relationship was one of the best parts of the film.

Disney announced Shang-Chi will be coming to Disney+ on November 12 which they're calling "Disney Day." They'll be making big announcements about the future of the company including new MCU shows and films.

I posted my thoughts a few pages back after I saw it. Shang-Chi is probably second tier MCU for me on par with Black Widow and Captain Marvel. Marvel has solved the villain problem. I'd love to see a Disney+ show that covers Wenwu's time in Ta Lo. And I think we may get one about the new Ten Rings organization. That was left very open-ended.

I read that Awkwafina was the first person they cast and that was a great decision. She was very good in this. She did chemistry reads with all the actors auditioning for the role of Shang-Chi and that paid off. Their relationship was one of the best parts of the film.

Disney announced Shang-Chi will be coming to Disney+ on November 12 which they're calling "Disney Day." They'll be making big announcements about the future of the company including new MCU shows and films.

I had no idea who Akwafina was until this movie. She nailed the aloof, ADD socially awkward hilarious sidekick role.

We really enjoyed it. I think it's a solid mid tier film as PH said though I would rank it higher than Black Widow and probably Captain Marvel. A lot of that though could just be that I love kung fu movies in general.

I thought the villain was incredibly good. I found myself spending the entire movie knowing he was the villain but feeling sorry for him.

Awkafina was awesome

There was a large part of time at the end where I was screaming, "Are you guys gonna help or just ride on the dragon?"

The only part that I think was a little confusing was the postcard. I guess that their dad sent him the postcard to get them together and bring them in? Seemed like a bit of an unnecessary plot device but that's my only real issue with the movie.

Ben Kingsley was delightful.

I had no idea who Akwafina was until this movie. She nailed the aloof, ADD socially awkward hilarious sidekick role.

Seriously? Awkwafina blew up about 3-4 years ago.

I was actually the first to give Shang Chi thoughts, as unmemorable as they apparently were. My opinion hasn't changed since then. It's not even comparable to Black Widow, which maintained all the worst attributes of a Marvel movie without offsetting them, like Shang Chi did with cinematography and a couple of superb acting performances (Leung most notably).

I've always been anti-Awkwafina because her name is dumb, even Perryay would have been better, but she was harmless in this. Put another way, she didn't detract as I feared she might.

It's almost too much like the comics 4 eps in, for me. Morrison's run are some of my favorite comics and it's pretty wild that they pulled it off. I just remember some of those stories so vividly that it feels almost too literal, which is bizarre considering the material.

I'm hoping that it breaks free a bit after they resolve the Mr Nobody plotline.

I'm on the penultimate episode of S1 now (titled "Penultimate Patrol") and they haven't gotten to a number of Morrison plot points that I've stumbled upon mention of in the tv show, so there's more to come. S3 just premiered and I've got a while to go to see the current state.
Candle Maker, who freaked me out so much in the comics

I first heard of Awkafina when she hosted SNL and later from seeing her in Crazy Rich Asians when it made its way to tv. She's got that supporting comic relief role down pretty good. Is her character completely original for the MCU or is she based on someone from the comics or an amalgamation of characters from the comics?

I enjoyed Shang Chi. I agree it's a solid Marvel movie. (They still haven't made a bad one in my opinion.) I've never read a Shang Chi comic or even read one where he guest starred so I don't have any nostalgic attachment to the character like I do most of the rest of the ones that have been introduced so far. I'm glad they fixed the Mandarin but it's a shame Iron Man never got to face one of his main villains from the comics in the MCU. An MCU version of the Dragon Seed saga would have been interesting.

I was actually the first to give Shang Chi thoughts, as unmemorable as they apparently were. My opinion hasn't changed since then. It's not even comparable to Black Widow, which maintained all the worst attributes of a Marvel movie without offsetting them, like Shang Chi did with cinematography and a couple of superb acting performances (Leung most notably).

I've always been anti-Awkwafina because her name is dumb, even Perryay would have been better, but she was harmless in this. Put another way, she didn't detract as I feared she might.

I'm on the penultimate episode of S1 now (titled "Penultimate Patrol") and they haven't gotten to a number of Morrison plot points that I've stumbled upon mention of in the tv show, so there's more to come. S3 just premiered and I've got a while to go to see the current state.
Candle Maker, who freaked me out so much in the comics

i made it past the cult of the unwritten book eps so i've got high hopes

i don't think they did the constantine proxy particularly well at all (forget what they call him in the comics), but happy that we get a brief respite and watch the gang process some trauma

I first heard of Awkafina when she hosted SNL and later from seeing her in Crazy Rich Asians when it made its way to tv. She's got that supporting comic relief role down pretty good. Is her character completely original for the MCU or is she based on someone from the comics or an amalgamation of characters from the comics?

I enjoyed Shang Chi. I agree it's a solid Marvel movie. (They still haven't made a bad one in my opinion.) I've never read a Shang Chi comic or even read one where he guest starred so I don't have any nostalgic attachment to the character like I do most of the rest of the ones that have been introduced so far. I'm glad they fixed the Mandarin but it's a shame Iron Man never got to face one of his main villains from the comics in the MCU. An MCU version of the Dragon Seed saga would have been interesting.

she was really good in The Farewell, too

The Constantine proxy is exactly that. For Morrison's run he was unable to use Constantine, who had his own Vertigo series so he created Willoughby Kipling, the same name used in the show and for the same arc for Cult of the Unwritten Book (and more).

Looking into who Awkwa played, Katy, I'm seeing some references to her as Katy Bashir, a super I'm unfamiliar with named Apex, on some of the nerd sites, but nothing official at all. It seems like hers is a new character. Who knows, Katy Bashir is a mutant but by the time we get around to Shang Chi 2 maybe mutants will be introduced.

While I'm here, this teaser officially teased me.

so, last What If...

so after all that stuff in Loki/Kang.....Ultron is the big bad for Dr. Strange?

Back