• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97; Deadpool and Wolverine trailer

Only 8 years? Wow. Hard to see them waiting until 2020 for another Batman flick.

There's plenty of Batman stuff they could do. They don't have to do the whole origin, Year One type stuff. They can use an established Batman with Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, maybe more fighting against established villains.

The bigger issue for WB/DC is the lack of depth. There was reasonable skepticism that Marvel could do legit Iron Man, Thor, and Cap films. I think they were more plausible than the other primary JL members. DC has already messed up Green Lantern, although they could just go with a different lantern in a reboot. They've been trying to do Wonder Woman for years and it hasn't worked. (I'll make another pitch for the 2009 animated film.) Martian Manhunter? Hawkman and Hawkgirl/woman? Flash? Maybe, but I don't think superspeed would translate well to film as a primary power. I know they're trying to elevate Cyborg, but I'm not sure about movie material.

I'm a huge fan of DC animation, but I just don't know if they can get more than 2 movies from their heroes. I will say again that a Lex Luthor movie and a Joker movie would be badass. Unfortunately, that just stacks onto the lack of depth problem.

How do you see that working?

If it's a different director/actors it seems like it either needs to be a continuation or a reboot. Seems a little odd to introduce new actors taking a new director's vision but throwing us into an existing world with characters that are already established/functioning.

But that's probably just me and my whacked out view of things...I almost always see things opposite of how others view them.

Flash is doable with bullet-time effects. Could be pretty cool looking.

I would love to see DC take a run at a good Red Hood storyline in live action.

I still think a Green Lantern sequel in the direction they set up would work. No chance a studio writes a check for it though.

Flash is doable with bullet-time effects. Could be pretty cool looking.

I would love to see DC take a run at a good Red Hood storyline in live action.

I still think a Green Lantern sequel in the direction they set up would work. No chance a studio writes a check for it though.

It still made $220MM..too bad the budget was fucking $200MM.

It still made $220MM..too bad the budget was fucking $200MM.

Iron Man 3 is already past $240M. That's unreal. The bar has been raised.

Slim, I think superhero movies are too attached to origin stories and flashbacks. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. With an established hero like Batman, you don't need to retell everything. As far Dick, Barbara, and Jason (for the Red Hood setup), we can just get to know them throughout the film and maybe go with a flashback. I'm not undefeated at screenwriting. I just don't want go over the same material again like we just did with The Amazing Spider-Man.

Iron Man 3 is already past $240M. That's unreal. The bar has been raised.

Slim, I think superhero movies are too attached to origin stories and flashbacks. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. With an established hero like Batman, you don't need to retell everything. As far Dick, Barbara, and Jason (for the Red Hood setup), we can just get to know them throughout the film and maybe go with a flashback. I'm not undefeated at screenwriting. I just don't want go over the same material again like we just did with The Amazing Spider-Man.

Fair enough...I'm just blinded by the trilogy/reboot/trilogy/reboot cycle.

The very first Batman movie was a "plop the viewer down into the middle of an existing world" kind of story and it worked out fine. Guess it makes sense for the next Batman movies to focus on villain or secondary hero origins instead.

i've always been a marvel fan, so I'm biased, but for whatever reason most of DC's heroes just don't seem to lend themselves to the big screen. Superman, very hit or miss. Batman good. Flash, maybe. Green Lantern, could work. Aquaman - give me a break. Wonder Woman - just don't see it. Hawkman? Give me a break. Arrow seems to be working on the small screen, so maybe that can work on the big if done right.

My theory is that Marvel has way more characters where the hero was just as compelling out of costume as in. All the XMen and their struggle against discrimination, Peter Parker, Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and the whole "man out of his time" thing, the Punisher, Bruce Banner, even the family dynamic of Fantastic Four. All of them are interesting when they're not smashing bad guys.

I can't even name the "secret identities" of any DC character except Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne, and Kent is a weak, one-dimensional character. Bruce Wayne is about the only DC character that is compelling out of costume, and I don't think it's an accident that he's the only character DC has had with consistent success on the big screen.

Fair enough...I'm just blinded by the trilogy/reboot/trilogy/reboot cycle.

The very first Batman movie was a "plop the viewer down into the middle of an existing world" kind of story and it worked out fine. Guess it makes sense for the next Batman movies to focus on villain or secondary hero origins instead.

Well said. I should have just said that.

I think DC/WB is afraid to do Robin because they don't want to do a kiddie film or a child endangerment film. They could do a nice secondary hero origin and villain origin film if they start with an established Batman and a Dick Grayson as Robin ready to branch out on his own while bringing in a 15-16 year old Jason Todd to replace him. If Spider-Man can reboot with Gwen Stacy, surely Batman can reboot with Jason Todd.

i've always been a marvel fan, so I'm biased, but for whatever reason most of DC's heroes just don't seem to lend themselves to the big screen. Superman, very hit or miss. Batman good. Flash, maybe. Green Lantern, could work. Aquaman - give me a break. Wonder Woman - just don't see it. Hawkman? Give me a break. Arrow seems to be working on the small screen, so maybe that can work on the big if done right.

My theory is that Marvel has way more characters where the hero was just as compelling out of costume as in. All the XMen and their struggle against discrimination, Peter Parker, Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and the whole "man out of his time" thing, the Punisher, Bruce Banner, even the family dynamic of Fantastic Four. All of them are interesting when they're not smashing bad guys.

I can't even name the "secret identities" of any DC character except Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne, and Kent is a weak, one-dimensional character. Bruce Wayne is about the only DC character that is compelling out of costume, and I don't think it's an accident that he's the only character DC has had with consistent success on the big screen.

I will say that Wayne is more compelling than Parker, Rogers, etc. (maybe not Banner)

Well said. I should have just said that.

I think DC/WB is afraid to do Robin because they don't want to do a kiddie film or a child endangerment film. They could do a nice secondary hero origin and villain origin film if they start with an established Batman and a Dick Grayson as Robin ready to branch out on his own while bringing in a 15-16 year old Jason Todd to replace him. If Spider-Man can reboot with Gwen Stacy, surely Batman can reboot with Jason Todd.

Jason Todd's death can't be any worse on screen than when G-Baby dies in Hardball.

It gives DC/WB the opportunity to develop these characters on their own merits and make these characters interesting without the mask. They could do whatever they want with Barry Allen, Hal Jordan, Jon Jones, Diana Prince, or whoever and most people wouldn't care. But yeah, the mask isn't as interesting for the big screen either. I'm not sure why. It just is. I hope they find a way to make it work.

I really hope they don't make Clark Kent weak and one-dimensional in Man of Steel. I really liked the S:TAS version of him. Nice guy, a little out of place in the big city, hard worker, a friend zone guy, not a Superman. He doesn't need to be dork or a stalker.

Last edited:
Personally I think a Deathstroke movie would have potential. He's a very cool character but he's pretty far down DC's bench. On the other hand, Marvel actually started* by going deep into their bench with Blade.

*By "started" I mean movies that had legit budgets, not the crapfasts they made in the early 90s.

I really hope they don't make Clark Kent weak and one-dimensional in Man of Steel. I really liked the S:TAS version of him. Nice guy, a little out of place in the big city, hard worker, a friend zone guy, not a Superman. He doesn't need to be dork or a stalker.

this is my point about Clark Kent. Even on his best day, he's a "friend zone guy" who's "a little out of place in the big city". This does not a compelling character make.

Also on the list of compelling out of costume Marvel characters, Matt Murdock/Daredevil. Can't believe I left him out. Great character even if the movie wasn't top shelf (although I don't have the hate for it that so many seem to have).

ETA: I think Smallville Clark was pretty good. The character is much more compelling as a teenager coming to grips with his powers than as an invincible god who pretends to be a stereotypical nerd/dork/weakling.

Last edited:
I would have 80% less hate for Daredevil but for 2 things:

1) That god-awful fight scene with Elektra. It looked like it was choreographed by whoever did the same for "Beat It"
2) Daredevil leaving "DD" in lighter fluid at a crime scene in case someone randomly walked by and dropped a flame. That may be the lowlight of all the big budget comic movies for me.

this is my point about Clark Kent. Even on his best day, he's a "friend zone guy" who's "a little out of place in the big city". This does not a compelling character make.

Also on the list of compelling out of costume Marvel characters, Matt Murdock/Daredevil. Can't believe I left him out. Great character even if the movie wasn't top shelf (although I don't have the hate for it that so many seem to have).

Clark Kent is the mask. That's the compelling part. Someone with the power of a God hiding as a mere man.

I didn't hate Daredevil either. It was fine enough for what it was. Heck, Elektra got made. Superman Returns, Spider-Man 3 and X3 were much worse and franchise killers.

Definitely add Deathstroke to the list of DC villains who could carry a movie.

Clark Kent is the mask. That's the compelling part. Someone with the power of a God hiding as a mere man.

I didn't hate Daredevil either. It was fine enough for what it was. Heck, Elektra got made. Superman Returns, Spider-Man 3 and X3 were much worse and franchise killers.

Definitely add Deathstroke to the list of DC villains who could carry a movie.

Spider-Man 3 was horrible. Don't forget Wolverine.

Back