• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

No other major characters on MM? I won't stand for ClanDestine slander. When I Googled them I saw they were introduced and had their own miniseries during the period where I bought ALL the comics. Still no recollection of them whatsoever.

I'll put this last ep of SNW at the bottom of this season but the bar is high and the worst of SNW > a LOT of other Trek, old and new. I still enjoyed it and was glad to get an M'Benga episode. He's got an odd pre-existing canon to fit into. Here he's the Chief Medical Officer, then on TOS he serves under Bones and appears in one episode each in the 2nd and 3rd seasons. I'm guessing he eventually gets demoted for hiding his daughter in the transporter buffer. My guess for Una is similar, perhaps she even gets expelled from Starfleet for being genetically enhanced.

My wife's friend from college and her soon to be college freshman daughter came over yesterday. They had family in town and the kids all went to see Doctor Strange 2, ages 12-20 along with my wife's friend's youngest, a 7 year old. My wife's friend thought it would be good for the little one to hang out with his older siblings and cousins. She didn't want him to see Jurassic World because she thought the dinosaurs would be too scary. She's seen all the other MCU films and thought it would be fine. "It will be just like Harry Potter," she said. The kid came back and was terrified. He was talking about splitting people in half, resurrecting zombies, and all the other horror elements in the film.

New trailer for Love and Thunder which comes out in 2 weeks.

By the way, another good episode of Ms. Marvel. I love the cast and it's exciting that three episodes in they haven't had any big-time cameos from major actors or characters.

It looks like in that giant hall with the golden statue heads where Gorr is walking and where Jane lands that there is a destroyed head in the background just past the Watcher. Maybe Zeus's head after Gorr kills Zeus?

Also, were those Celestials at the gate when the boat zoomed into Olympus?

Ready to see this movie. Seems like Phase 4 is going to be great, even though it's kinda all over the place so far.

So a lot of the promotional material and trailers feature the moon/a moon heavily...the posters of the characters all have a large moon centrally behind the heads of each character, and the trailers feature a floating piece of space debris flying toward a planet or moon, and also feature Gorr slamming his sword into the surface of a moon.

This may be common knowledge, but I just watched a video that said this could be Gorr's attempt at creating a Godbomb that he then destroys with his sword and scatters the pieces across time and space to kill all gods.

I think this is very possible based on that shot in the trailer, and the shots of Thor/Valkyrie fighting Gorr on the black & white moon.

I think it looks amazing where the only color was coming from Valkyrie using Zeus's golden lightning bolt as a weapon, and the neon colors coming from Thor clashing Stormbreaker with Gorr's sword.

Does anyone on here watch Umbrella Academy? That show can best be described as brilliantly wacky. My son and I have loved all three seasons.

Harley Quinn Season 3 drops on HBO Max sometime in July.

https://www.ign.com/articles/harley-quinn-season-3-finally-arrives-on-hbo-max-this-july

At the end of Season 2, Harley and Ivy (now officially a couple) headed out on the road to cause chaos and mayhem on a cross-country road trip that Harley describes as their “Eat, Bang, Kill Tour.” A spin-off limited comic book series aptly named “Eat, Bang, Kill Tour” depicts their antics as they find themselves pursued across the country by Commissioner Gordon.
Season 3 will pick up where they left off, heading back to Gotham with Commissioner Gordon hot on their heels… and it looks as though we can expect to see even more DC characters, with Nightwing, John Constantine, Mad Hatter, Clock King, and Amanda Waller already confirmed. There’s even a cameo with director James Gunn, so expect it to get a bit meta.
Elsewhere, Harley Quinn’s Kite Man will be starring in his own spin-off – a show that’s described as “Cheers for villains” which sees him running a bar where supervillains hang out.

Saw a NO SPOILER reaction to Thor: Love and Thunder, but I will put in spoiler tag regardless (This is really just a reaction, not a review, and doesn't include specific details)

Said there was some "FUCK YEAH!" fight scenes, some hilarious bits, and that it really caused some emotional reactions by the end of the movie, but perhaps not why you expect.

Korg is great in the movie apparently.

Cameos are there.

But also said the biggest things that happened in the movie, NOT A SINGLE FRAME was included in promotional material, so that's good.

Very excited to see it!

Just finished watching the latest SNW episode - this series is such a breath of fresh air. Kudos to whoever did the casting, because it's perfect. There are 3 characters that it would be good to see focused on a little more with some more backstory - Number One/Una, Hemmer, and Ortegas. Maybe take the focus off the Spock/T'Pring romance for an episode or two and focus on those other 3 characters more. That's a minor complaint, though. Mostly it's just been a fun ride so far, which is refreshing compared to Discovery and Picard.

Yeah two eps with no Hemmer

Good news for the "Need more Hemmer" folks. Very Hemmer heavy ep this time.

Another good episode of Ms. Marvel yesterday. I realized I've never seen Karachi portrayed on screen, real or fictional, and know very little about it. That's pretty sad for one of the largest cities in the world.

Another good episode of Ms. Marvel yesterday. I realized I've never seen Karachi portrayed on screen, real or fictional, and know very little about it. That's pretty sad for one of the largest cities in the world.

Ms. Marvel is definitely the best of the Phase 4 output so far imo

Good news for the "Need more Hemmer" folks. Very Hemmer heavy ep this time.

What a great episode - basically Star Trek meets Alien. Won't give away any of the plot, but yeah, Hemmer certainly gets his due in this one.

It’s working with a lot of would be drawbacks and it still shines. Basically an unknown cast, little known main character, centers around a Muslim family. One thing I really appreciate is that there’s a white guy main character but he’s not an avatar for the audience. He’s just a family friend and part of the community.

It’s working with a lot of would be drawbacks and it still shines. Basically an unknown cast, little known main character, centers around a Muslim family. One thing I really appreciate is that there’s a white guy main character but he’s not an avatar for the audience. He’s just a family friend and part of the community.

I really don't know why I seem to always be in the minority on everything, entertainment-wise...but I think Ms. Marvel is flat out terrible. The only bright spots being Iman Vellani and the guy who plays her dad...I think they're both great in their roles.

I have so many problems with the show...and I know what kind of reactions I'll get, but whatever (EDIT: god, I went back and read this and it's sooo long, but it really is a terrible show, and I just binged all 4 episodes tonight and went back to a few eps/spots to write about specifics)

I know it's going to come across that I'm just angry that it's not another white superhero in America show, but it's really not it at all. I get that it's a show that's trying to spread a new corner of the world to mainstream, and bring a rarely-seen culture to the hoards of Disney viewers, but its just throwing as much culture, history and imagery at the wall and hoping it sticks. Most of the show is about history, but doesn't connect it to the story other than the Partition is when Aisha got lost and magically found her father and left the country. I really do want to learn more about the culture and history of the Partition, but they make it difficult.

First, right off the bat it starts off terribly...and this is so nitpicky, but during her driving test, she starts the car and just slams on the gas? Who does that? It would have been much better had they just made the gag her backing into the instructor's car and left out the slamming on the gas. She doesn't even put it in gear? I know that's such a stupid thing to complain about, but that stuff always gets me.

But after that, everything is just so all over the place. There's very little explanation of things, and even when they do explain, it just leads to 10 more questions. Every single episode has random scenes that jump from one to another...it always seems like they cut out scenes in the middle so that they get all of the story beats. "Ok we need to get from A to B to C to D....so let's cut out all the stuff in between"...It always seems like you missed a scene or that they plucked a key scene out of the middle of the show, but multiple times an episode. Just horrible pacing.

For example, in episode 4...Kamala meets Kareem...(which if you go back and watch is just them throwing stupid jabs/pop culture references/questions at each other with no answers, just "Where'd you learn to jump, Ninja Turtles?....Where'd you learn to jump, Donkey Kong?....Who are you?....WHAT are YOU?") and then has the scene where she learns about the Noor dimension and the Red Daggers...then immediately has a scene where she's talking to her Nani on the terrace...then Kareem texts her and they go sit on the beach kumbaya style and eat some Pakistani dish** and listen to a guy play guitar for 20 seconds (TF?)...then Muneeba (Kamala's mom) has a 2 minute conversation with Kamala's grandmother (Nani) about her liking toffees, then Kamala walks in the door and sits and has a toffee with Muneeba...there seems to be no transition or anything, Muneeba is with her mom and then immediately in the kitchen with no perceived time passage or anything...they have a toffee, and it's the next morning and she's training with the Red Daggers again.

**If you go back and watch there are soooo many closeups of just the food they eat. Just the food. Just to show "Hey, they eat different stuff than you/us." They throw in 1000 terms from Muslim/Pakistani/South Asian culture, expecting everyone to know what it means (which granted most of it can be gleaned from context, but still). That last part isn't much of a gripe because I get that they are trying to immerse the viewer in the culture, but it's hard to know what's going on when you have no reference to what Eid is, or a masjid, or other terms thrown in randomly. Again, I'm sure all of you know all of those terms already, and it's just me being ignorant....and I get that it's on the viewer to gather the meaning from context or whatever, but with things like holidays or celebrations, it'd be nice to connect it together.

Add to that the complete lack of character development and just little bits of info thrown in with no context or weight/consequence.

For example, she goes from barely being able to use her powers in Episode 3, to being a master of them in her fights with the Red Dagger/Kareem or with the Clandestine in Episode 4. It really feels like we missed an episode.

Which guy is supposed to be the love interest for Kamala?...Bruno?...Kamran?...Kareem? So sloppy to introduce 3 guys and not give any of them any significant screen time. I'm sure he'll come back into the story, but what was Kamran's purpose? Just to introduce Najma?

Take out the few story beats or exposition bits and the show is mostly just Kamala wandering around looking at stuff.

The writing is terrible...particularly the villains. The Clandestine/Djinn are boring and not fleshed out at all. It's been 2 episodes since they showed up and we have no idea what their power set is, or how they got here. There are 5 or 6 of them and you only really know about Najma, and barely anything about her other than she knew Aisha. And Kamran is her son? Like she just hung around in this dimension for 100 years and started procreating? He has powers? Is he going to go back to the Noor dimension? Somehow the Clandestine were "banished" or "exiled" to this realm/dimension, but to get back they use the bangle to combine their realm with ours? (Speaking of that, how many times is the MCU going to use different names for different spaces/places? They use universe/realm/dimension/world/plane/and more to mean the same thing. It's so confusing. They need to delineate these things more clearly.)

Oh and there's this group called the Red Daggers. They don't like the Djinn/Clandestines....why? No clue. What's their history with them?
Why is it just one old guy and one teenager? Where did they get their tech?

The fight scenes are mediocre as fuck. The Djinn seem to be super strong (they punch holes in the floor/crack walls/etc), but there's no explanation. They also pull random weapons out of nowhere, or just tap their chest or pull of their belts and have these magical weapons. They edit it like crazy and you can never see a person's face or make out who is fighting who, it's just a flash of body parts striking other body parts. At one point when the Clandestine drop in on Waleed/Kamala/Kareem, Waleed is fighting Fariha (the black woman member of the Clandestine)...he gives her a shoulder shove and punches her to the ground, she falls down, and the camera swerves around to Najma, and she runs to the left and Waleed is standing there waiting for her....he was literally just fighting someone else and 0.5 seconds later he is stationary in a fighting pose ready for Najma to attack him?

Also, what's with the D.O.D.C. "Supermax" facility? It seems to be the same facility shown in the She-Hulk trailers, but there, it's surrounded by a desert. Is it actually in Pakistan? That seems weird to put that in a She-Hulk show based in New York (though I know any prison in a desert is not going to be in NYC). I assumed it would be in the Southwest region of the United States.

And for it to be a SUPERMAX prison, all it took was someone to choke a guard out, someone else to grab a weapon and take out another guard? Really? 2 or 3 guards for 5 beings from another dimension? And how easy must it have been for them to just get out and get to Pakistan? And ON TOP OF THAT, how did they immediately get to Pakistan anyway? Did they fly commercial? Didn't they say it was like a 16 hour or 26 hour flight with multiple layovers? (I think I remember that mentioned, maybe not).

The dialogue, particularly for Najma is horrendous, clunky and cliche.

She literally drops from the ceiling and says "SURPRISE!"...and then during the fight screams "GET HER!"....

During the car chase in the streets: "DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY!"...."GOT YOU NOW!"...

And the stilted dialogue between Kamala/Kareem: Kamala: "Can't you go any faster!?"...Kareem: "No I can't go any faster!".

And the number of times someone shouts "GO, GO, GO, GO!" in the chase scene is hilarious. Literally every character says it.

So there...all of my problems so far with Ms. Marvel. That was wayyyy too much, but I honestly haven't had this kind of reaction to any other MCU property. Even Hawkeye and Falcon & the Winter Soldier seemed more cohesive and interesting. I know there's still 2 episodes left, but it feels to me like "WTF, there's only 2 episodes left, they need to get to explaining some shit."

It boggles my mind that this is apparently the highest rated Disney+ series so far. Interestingly, I also read that it is least-watched of the Disney+ shows. That shows that the critics don't have as much of a finger on the pulse of the audience as they want to believe. But based on a couple of people on here, you guys really like it as well! Go figure.

I feel like so many people, critics, YouTubers, etc are scared of criticizing it because it's based on a minority character from the Middle East and don't want to seem like ignorant white nationalist blowhards...but IDC...I know that's NOT the reason I don't like it and am fine with that. Like I said at the beginning, I really DO want to like this show, and to learn more about the Pakistani/Muslim/Indian culture and history, but NOT at the expense of an overall story.

I hope the last two episodes redeem the first four and I can rank this show a little higher, but to me, I don't think it can come close to WandaVision, or on top of that LOKI. We'll see.

Jesus Christ that's such an extended take on one show.

I'm sure it will get picked apart, but those are my initial thoughts after binging it. Maybe my opinion will change when you guys prove me wrong about everything, or when the last two episodes completely reverse the trajectory of the show....but somehow I doubt that.

CBM: The Boys Season 3 on Amazon Prime; Ms. Marvel on Disney+

I feel like most of those are critiques you could give about any TV show or movie particularly about transitions and passage of time. Others are really nit picky. Like what else do you want to know about traveling from Jersey City to Karachi? Most shows would just say they’re traveling and then cut or them already there. This showed them on the plane, people greeting each other at the airport, them being greeted at the airport. Did you need to see whether they took an Uber or a shuttle to Newark? Did you need to see a layover?

I like that the show isn’t trying to overexplain Pakistani or Muslim culture to us. It would have been easy for Bruno to ask question like “Ah schucks, what is Eid?” “What is the dancing all about?” “Why are we taking off our shoes?” But we can just Google that or just ask Siri. I really like that they’re treating the Partition like any other historic event audiences would already be familiar with like the Holocaust or Civil War.

And of course this is the least watched show. It’s a character who hasn’t been in the MCU yet. It’s a character pretty new to the comics. There are no star actors like Oscar Isaac as Moon Knight. The show came out along with Obi-Wan which got more attention. The show is aimed at a younger audience who doesn’t necessarily watch shows exactly when they come out.

Just heard that while Ms. Marvel has the lowest viewership among Disney+ shows, it has the highest viewership of any Disney+ show among young Black, Hispanic, and Asian viewers.

https://screenrant.com/ms-marvel-bad-ratings-good-reviews-explained/

Despite its low viewership, though, it's clear from the positive reviews and reception that the people who are watching Ms. Marvel are really enjoying it. It's ranking high among Gen Z viewers, with those aged 20-24 watching it more than any other MCU show. Households with Black, Hispanic, and Asian viewers are also watching Ms. Marvel at a higher rate than the rest, meaning that the show is absolutely performing where it should with its target audience due to its inclusiveness. Given that Ms. Marvel is the predecessor to the upcoming Captain Marvel sequel, The Marvels, and with its positive critical reception, it seems likely the show will be a slower burn with viewers but ultimately become quite popular.

Back