• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

What a great episode - basically Star Trek meets Alien. Won't give away any of the plot, but yeah, Hemmer certainly gets his due in this one.

I really liked the last two , especially Aliens, but I gotta say….Hemmer got done wrong. Kill off Ortegas

I really liked the last two , especially Aliens, but I gotta say….Hemmer got done wrong. Kill off Ortegas

Yeah, he was underused most of the season (like Number One) and then he finally gets a good deal of airtime and they kill him off. I was really starting to like his character, especially after his "wizard" turn in the preceding episode. I also hope that La'an returns next season, she also grew on me as the season progressed. They've done a good job of turning the Gorn into a truly fearsome opponent. That would have been a good episode to end the season with, it'll be interesting to see what they do with this last episode. Based on the preview it looks like a remake of Balance of Terror, one of my favorite TOS episodes.

Yeah, he was underused most of the season (like Number One) and then he finally gets a good deal of airtime and they kill him off. I was really starting to like his character, especially after his "wizard" turn in the preceding episode. I also hope that La'an returns next season, she also grew on me as the season progressed. They've done a good job of turning the Gorn into a truly fearsome opponent. That would have been a good episode to end the season with, it'll be interesting to see what they do with this last episode. Based on the preview it looks like a remake of Balance of Terror, one of my favorite TOS episodes.

Agree. I love the genre work; attention to detail and care in execution.

The Gorn are cool and scary as fuck. I like that for the second time it’s pointed out how impossible it would be to go up against an adult Gorn, this time even 8 v 1. Really makes James T even more of a bad ass.

Also, great characterization (writing, acting and direction) for all the characters of this show. Top shelf. Pretty amaxed that they’ve been able to establish distinct , different, interesting people compared to Disco. Sam Kirk? He’s had like 20-30min of screen time, most of it this ep but he feels like a real weekly character.

Do we talk For All Mankind here? Or is that the Netflix thread?

E4 this season was intense shit. Great show.

What is interesting to me is that Paramount or at least SNW’s team seems to be writing SNW to be watched by new trek people so that they’re prepared for payoffs watching TOS later, or chronologically. Plot payoffs and tonal payoffs (genres, goofy eps, various ex Machinas).

At first I thought they were just fan friendly/service callbacks but I think it’s more than that.

For All Mankind is #1 on my "why am I not watching this?" list. The description plus seeing "By Ronald D Moore" checks enough boxes for me.

The fan theory I'm subscribing to about how the Gorn was manageable for Kirk is that this was some elderly Gorn commanding, sort of like when white Admiral April took over the Enterprise that one time.

tas-april.jpg

Regarding Strange New World's character building, one litmus test I have is that after 9 episodes I can name everybody, even Transporter Chief Twink. To this day after dozens more episodes I still can't name the "no response Captain" dude on Discovery (among others).

Do we talk For All Mankind here? Or is that the Netflix thread?

E4 this season was intense shit. Great show.

Netflix thread. This is the Comic Book Media thread.

Regarding Strange New World's character building, one litmus test I have is that after 9 episodes I can name everybody, even Transporter Chief Twink. To this day after dozens more episodes I still can't name the "no response Captain" dude on Discovery (among others).

I’m the same. I just tried and I forget the pilot chick’s name and couldn’t tell you the name of the ships actual Doctor.

I’m the same. I just tried and I forget the pilot chick’s name and couldn’t tell you the name of the ships actual Doctor.

The only season of Discovery I really liked was the second season, and that was mainly because it had Pike and Spock throughout the season, and Number One and the Enterprise at the end. It lost me in the first season when it showed the start of what many Trek fans had wanted to see for a long time - an all-out war between the Federation and Klingons - and then jumped to yet another dumb evil alternate universe story for most of the season. And when they finally returned to our universe it turned out that the Klingons had completely kicked the Federation's ass in about four months. So much for that epic conflict. The third and fourth seasons haven't been much better, imo. It's better than Picard, but that's not saying much. And yeah, the chemistry of the cast on SNW is excellent, and they've done a good job of making them individuals with their own quirks and personalities. Apparently they've hired an actor to play a young James T. Kirk next season, can't wait until he meets his brother Sam - they don't seem to have much in common.

I like Ms Marvel but this whole “new hero, new mystical force, 4 super powerful shadow organizations that run the world” thing is really running its course. How many fucking layers to one planet could there plausibly be.

I feel like most of those are critiques you could give about any TV show or movie particularly about transitions and passage of time. Others are really nit picky. Like what else do you want to know about traveling from Jersey City to Karachi? Most shows would just say they’re traveling and then cut or them already there. This showed them on the plane, people greeting each other at the airport, them being greeted at the airport. Did you need to see whether they took an Uber or a shuttle to Newark? Did you need to see a layover?

I like that the show isn’t trying to overexplain Pakistani or Muslim culture to us. It would have been easy for Bruno to ask question like “Ah schucks, what is Eid?” “What is the dancing all about?” “Why are we taking off our shoes?” But we can just Google that or just ask Siri. I really like that they’re treating the Partition like any other historic event audiences would already be familiar with like the Holocaust or Civil War.

And of course this is the least watched show. It’s a character who hasn’t been in the MCU yet. It’s a character pretty new to the comics. There are no star actors like Oscar Isaac as Moon Knight. The show came out along with Obi-Wan which got more attention. The show is aimed at a younger audience who doesn’t necessarily watch shows exactly when they come out.

I had no problem with that part. There's not a story missing in just traveling from one place to another unless something happens on that trip. I was mainly talking about going from her being in the train station, to her being in the red daggers hideout, to being at home for a toffee, to then being back at the red daggers place. And the only reason she was there was to start the chase scene. If I'm remembering correctly (I sorta shoved some of Ms. Marvel out of my head when I binged Obi-Wan Kenobi this weekend) they didn't do anything when she came back other than show her power surround her, and then the infamous "SURPRISE MUTHAFUCKA!" from Najma, which started the chase scene.

Like I said, I recognize that my opinion is generally in the minority and more than likely the opposite of most, and I'm fine with that. There's nothing Marvel will put out that I WON'T see or finish, so I'll watch the last 2 episodes (maybe not until they're done so I can just binge them) and see how it goes.

I'm more excited for Thor 4: More Thor with Gorr and then sorta excited for She-Hulk....then after that WAKANDA FOREVER, which I hope we get a trailer for either at Thor or at Comic-Con.

Really ready for that one! I think DS:MoM, Thor 4 and Wakanda Forever are going to make this one of the best years of Marvel yet.

I don’t think Kamala was in the toffee scene.

Some of y'all need to remember the phrase "suspend your disbelief." These are supposed to be fun. Don't overthink it.

Some of y'all need to remember the phrase "suspend your disbelief." These are supposed to be fun. Don't overthink it.

I guess, but suspending disbelief is for believing in FTL and transporter tech, mystical energies that let a teen girl form giant fists, lasers that shoot out of eyes and trees that walk and talk.

it doesn't work for "uh, how did Person X get from location A to Location B when they're miles apart" because silly stuff like that stands out. The basic logic of any work should hold up, fantasy or otherwise.

I guess, but suspending disbelief is for believing in FTL and transporter tech, mystical energies that let a teen girl form giant fists, lasers that shoot out of eyes and trees that walk and talk.

it doesn't work for "uh, how did Person X get from location A to Location B when they're miles apart" because silly stuff like that stands out. The basic logic of any work should hold up, fantasy or otherwise.

It would be less weird if dude wasn't such a big fan of Moon Knight, I think?

CBM: The Boys Season 3 on Amazon Prime; Ms. Marvel on Disney+

I keep forgetting to change the thread title but Thor: Love and Thunder comes out today. First showings in my area are in the afternoon so let’s do spoilers Saturday evening.

Another good Ms. Marvel. Can’t say I had Ms. Marvel and Russian Doll season 2 overlapping themes and plot on my 2022 scorecard but it works.

Back