• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

Official superhero media thread - now for Cap

Time to wash the emerald turd taste out from Green Lantern and move on to the next CBM: Captain America and I am super-psyched.

Newest trailer:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167671-the-new-captain-america-trailer-

Mostly the trailers make me optimistic that Cap is being treated with the dignity he deserves. It's easy to make him cheesy as some kind of super patriot. He is supposed to represent the best of America, it's tricky to represent that in a way that doesn't enrage half the audience.

Time to wash the emerald turd taste out from Green Lantern and move on to the next CBM: Captain America and I am super-psyched.

Newest trailer:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/167671-the-new-captain-america-trailer-

Mostly the trailers make me optimistic that Cap is being treated with the dignity he deserves. It's easy to make him cheesy as some kind of super patriot. He is supposed to represent the best of America, it's tricky to represent that in a way that doesn't enrage half the audience.

He's got a classic comic book story, but will a story about a guy who essentially takes PEDs to become a "super soldier" translate to modern mainstream movie audiences?

The trailer looks fantastic though.

One more word on Green Lantern. It looks like it's going to lose a ton of money. From a link off the above link:

----------
An interesting take I read on the marketing of the GL film was that it was viewed as an investment to garner recognizability for the character. WB realized that GL is an unknown to the vast majority of people, and even many comic fans don't read the book. This was WB's attempt at getting GL out there and boosting the brand so that he is at Iron Man and Thor levels. Too bad the movie was not well enough recieved to help achieve this end.

GL will play well on TV and DVD and if they do a sequel right and market it properly as opposed to loudly WB could have a money maker. Heck look at Iron Man who was a solid B lister and now makes Spidey level marketing money.
-----------

The difference between Iron Man and GL is that Iron Man was just a good movie. People went to go see it through word of mouth. It got fantastic buzz, same for Thor. There was a lot of promotion but it wasn't empty hype. WB made a GL movie that looked bad in trailers and got bad reviews.

Last edited:
I added Transformers 3 to the subject title. 57% on RT so far.

Just finished watching the Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes 3-part 1st season finale. Bravo. Bravo. Excellent action, great pacing. Good story. Before Thor was released, I really could have cared less about Asgard and his story compared to other areas of the Marvel Universe. This story was well done and it was a good decision to show the last 6 episodes after the movie release because I'm sure I'm not the only one much more familiar with the story now.

It will be interesting to see where they are headed with Season 2 after the teases at the end and really throughout the season. I was really impressed with this show. Over the last few years, Marvel has done amazing work with the Avengers franchise.

Just saw Transformers 3.

Absolutely no idea why it's only at 36% on RT.

I really liked it...much more than the 2nd one, and maybe more than the first.

Shia LaBeouf is a very good actor for the parts he plays....he plays fanatical and fast-talking very well....hell, he even had me a little sad about some alien robots...lol

I'm a big fan of his....and this was a great movie IMO...and I saw it in regular 2D, not 3D or IMAX....

It was long (it started at 3:45pm, I got out around 6:30pm)...but it was well done...the cinematography was good too.

Of course, it was a Michael Bay film so it was full of spectacle and grandeur, but he did a great job of injecting bits of humor throughout the film....little one liners, quips, and the sarcastic tiny robot "pets".

I laughed a lot, and to me that's what the other movies were missing....not necessarily that they didn't have humor, but it didn't fit well into the plot and seemed forced.

I'm guessing I will be one of few positive reviews based on what I've read....but if people can look past the fact that it's a typical Michael Bay film and past the length, then I have a feeling people will enjoy it.

I wouldn't recommend it for small kids (there were probably 10-20 in the two rows surrounding me)....there were quite a few curse words, even once or twice cut off "fuck", as in "this is one big cluster f..." and scene changes.

Also:

there was quite a bit of execution scenes of the robots....which I don't think is a big deal or that it's a spoiler, but they did make a robot or two kneel and get shot in the backs of their heads

Green Latern

I actually liked it. Not great, but worth spending some time in a theater watching....

How did Transformers get shoehorned into a superhero thread?

That said, I'm psyched. The second one was terrible, but they could make 100 of these movies and I'd see every one. At least until Peter Cullen passes away.

That said, I'm psyched. The second one was terrible, but they could make 100 of these movies and I'd see every one. At least until Peter Cullen passes away.

The line between comic movie and movie based on a saturday morning kiddie show is pretty blurred. Most of these have been both (comic and animated show).

The first Transformers was so horrible, I have never even considered watching the second one. No way am I jumping back in for the third one.

Oh and Michael Bay sucks.

Transformers are superheroes. Same reason why I mentioned the new Thundercats cartoon and I think I mentioned the new Voltron cartoon.

The first Transformers was so horrible, I have never even considered watching the second one. No way am I jumping back in for the third one.

Oh and Michael Bay sucks.

I'm in this boat. I loathed the first Transformers movie. I think Shia is just an awful actor, and Michael Bay movies usually have little plot. Didn't even bother with the second one.

I'm in this boat. I loathed the first Transformers movie. I think Shia is just an awful actor, and Michael Bay movies usually have little plot. Didn't even bother with the second one.

Seriously. And I have a friend who loves these movies. I mean, as in, genuinely thinks the first one is a GREAT movie. I just don't understand it...

The second one was unwatchable. I mean literally, I couldn't watch it. Hip-hop speaking robots??? WTF? Apparently they're not in this new one. I usually have a lot of patience with movies and have sat through a lot of crap to see it through to the end. Couldn't do it with Trans 2.

I'm not sure what to think about the new Transformers. Apparently there is spectacular eye candy in it, but it's long (2.5 hours + previews) and has parts that drag. So it falls in the category of "if you're going to see it, see it in theatres for full effect cause it's not good enough to see on your tv".

second one also had robot testicles.

nothing against mindless action at all, but I couldn't understand what was happening in the action scenes. Too much flying around the screen all the time to tell who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. (old man "get off my lawn" rant over)

It also has John Malkovich as a quirky/OCD boss in a funny role...

Plus the new girl is an extreme upgrade over Megan Fox's trashy looks....this girl in this white dress alone is enough reason to see the movie:

rosie-huntington-whiteley-transformers-classy-2.jpg

second one also had robot testicles.

nothing against mindless action at all, but I couldn't understand what was happening in the action scenes. Too much flying around the screen all the time to tell who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. (old man "get off my lawn" rant over)

Yeah. I didn't see the 2nd one in theaters due to bad reviews and just having a kid and haven't been inclined to see it on HBO. I don't think they had to make the robots that confusing looking. I realize they couldn't just look like blocky, but they didn't have to look like a bunch of car parts thrown together either. There's a reasonable compromise they didn't make that would have made the action easier to follow.

Props to NPR for giving the 3rd movie a positive review. My wife texted me that she's wants to get a babysitter so we can go see it. I've never understood why movie theaters don't partner with an established child care outfit. I'd go way more often if we could drop the little guy off at the theater.

that's a solid idea PH (daycare/movie)

i like dumb summer blockbusters with shit blowing up so i'll be going to see Transformers 3 at some point i'm sure

Fuck the critics, they just don't understand Bay. He couldn't give a fuck about narrative, and why should he, when he has such a good eye for action. Film is, first and foremost, a visual medium. It's funny how, when a summer movie delivers unbelievable visuals, critics trash it for not having a "plot." Fuck a plot, I wish the movie was just two and a half hours of pure kinetic action. This (Dark of the Moon) may be Bay's best film, and the last hour long Chicago destruction set piece is his magnum opus. Don't think I've ever seen such a visceral and kinetic action scene such as Bay delivers here. Seriously, Bay is an auteur, but he's such a different auteur that the critics just don't understand him. At the very least, you have to give him credit for the giddy nature with which he makes his movies. See this in Imax for the best effect. The collapsing building section, and the resulting loss of gravity is truly a breathtaking sequence. This goes right up there with The Rock as one of his best movies.

Back