• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

Rough review, but it's just one woman from the Village Voice.

She does make the point, which I felt was true with Thor, that it's just a bridge for audiences to get to know him for The Avengers. The movie doesn't stand by itself, which is exactly what I thought of Thor, a pretty throwaway movie.

This is what I've been thinking.

Same was true for Green Lantern. There was plenty of positive buzz for X-Men and Thor although Thor had opened in Australia.

Extremely positive review here.

Still mixed, but the RT rating is slowly rising...it's up to 58% now with 10 positive and 6 negative reviews. Based on the reviews, there's not a lot of middle ground. Critics either love it or hate it.

The average rating being above 7 is encouraging to me. I still think it'll end up being around 65% but that's better than I was expecting after seeing no reviews for this long.

/film has a quick but glowing review up today:

I loved Captain America – For my money, this is Marvel’s best movie since Iron Man. I was a little worried after seeing some of the clips and advertising that the tone might be too jokey or corny, but Joe Johnston hit just the right note and tone for this period tale. The action is so well choreographed, shot in an old school style which actually allows you to understand the geography of the scene — It is a welcome break from the new school fast cuts/close-ups cinematic style. Each action sequence builds and features some unexpected twists and turns.

While Thor and Iron Man 2 feel a bit heavy handed in their SHIELD-focused set-up for The Avengers, Captain America feels free of forced set-ups. The film’s storyline works well as a standalone, but also sets up enough interesting situations, which will likely be continued in The Avengers or announced Captain America sequel.

Hugo Weaving is awesome as Red Skull, and Chris Evans pulls off the idealistic Steve Rogers character. The best compliment I can give is that I can’t imagine any other actors in the suit after seeing this movie.

There's is also a video review in the link if you want more.

http://www.slashfilm.com/reaction-captain-american-avenger/#more-108054

Up to 71% on RT. Looks like the haters are being overruled.

Saw the movie last night, and I really liked it. It is not as good as Iron Man, but it is better than Thor. I found myself reminded of the sense of adventure that made the Indiana Jones movies fun. There are some corny parts and a lot of humor infused, but I really think the movie does a great job with the character. I had been skeptical of Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, but he did a fantastic job. As always, hang around after the credits...this time the after credits scene is more than the usual short Easter egg preview. You won't be disappointed.

Saw the movie last night, and I really liked it. It is not as good as Iron Man, but it is better than Thor. I found myself reminded of the sense of adventure that made the Indiana Jones movies fun. There are some corny parts and a lot of humor infused, but I really think the movie does a great job with the character. I had been skeptical of Chris Evans as Steve Rogers, but he did a fantastic job. As always, hang around after the credits...this time the after credits scene is more than the usual short Easter egg preview. You won't be disappointed.

the CNN review mentions this exact thing, interesting

I was a Chris Evans skeptic as well, but he won me over.

Lots of good easter eggs for the fanbois in this, and yeah, go ahead and deal with watching who the gaffers and storyboard artists are, to get to the post credit goodies.

I'm very pleased with this film, since we're still in the "black-out" phase, that's all I'll say for now.

If you left early, here's the after-credits scene
Do not click this unless you want to see some spoilers

Damn, I'm really not much of a comic book guy, and none of the marvel movies have really done much for me, but The Avengers looks fucking awesome. With a talent like Joss Whedon behind it, hopefully it will come through. That teaser looks epic though. Next summer is gonna be ridiculous: The Avengers, Prometheus, The Amazing Spider-Man, Star Trek 2 (though I doubt this will actually come out next summer) and then to cap it all off, The Dark Knight Rises. Fuck me...

Back