• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: Invincible season 2 returns March 14; X-Men '97 premieres March 20

most recent SNW (today) was good shit. i don't even care if they recycled the nebula/submarine/fog bank battle scenario again

master-and-commander-01.jpg

This week they actually managed to make Arena’s trope-y ending better.

Where was this production for disco and Picard ?

Is Picard worth it? I think I made it through season 1 but dropped it after that.

If your main enjoyment in a nostalgia series is watching cameos of aging actors reprising their earlier Trek roles, then yeah, you might enjoy it. If you have higher expectations like a coherent plot that ties everything together, has good pacing, and isn't often as boring as hell then no, it's not worth it. Strange New Worlds is already a far superior series in every way, imo.

The latest SNW was more of a "Balance of Terror" ep, which Trek lords have been very open about being a sci-fi version of a sub movie named "The Enemy Below."

"Balance of Terror", by the way, is my answer to the question "what's your favorite episode of any Trek?" so I'm a-ok with period variants.

The Gorn were terrifying. Canon would indicate we won't see much more of them but I hope we do. Strict adherence to canon has never been a paramount (ha!) concern, whether nu-Trek or old.

they're doing a great job of making the Gorn terrifying by doing what they did originally with the borg - not showing them or their motivations. So now, In Arena, when Kirk decides to not-kill the gorn and try to understand their motivations it actually makes everything better. Kirk is overcoming bigotry and fear to project the Federation's fundamental principles despite all evidence to the contrary. Just masterful trek writing going on right now.

i think this ep of SNW is the best Nu Trek ep by far and is a great Trek episode full stop.

Balance of Terror is just a great piece of television, period. Yes it's an homage to Enemy Below (and other WWII movies); i've never seen concrete notes about whether it was meant an a homage or a rip off; probably depends on the eye of the beholder but I maintain it was deliberate pastiche of the genre and meant to appeal to boomer viewers.

they're also constantly sliding in TOS musical cues, which Picard did a little of in S1, and it tickles me every time.

The latest SNW was more of a "Balance of Terror" ep, which Trek lords have been very open about being a sci-fi version of a sub movie named "The Enemy Below."

"Balance of Terror", by the way, is my answer to the question "what's your favorite episode of any Trek?" so I'm a-ok with period variants.

The Gorn were terrifying. Canon would indicate we won't see much more of them but I hope we do. Strict adherence to canon has never been a paramount (ha!) concern, whether nu-Trek or old.

My two favorite episodes of TOS have always been "Balance of Terror" and "The Doomsday Machine." Both have great guest star performances and are super intense. I haven't seen the latest SNW episode (I've been watching them on the weekends), so if it's similar to Balance of Terror I'm really looking forward to it.

Just to pop in.....for those complaining about the CGI of She-Hulk, I've read in multiple locations (that I can't seem to find the links to now) that this was just a first-look at the CGI of her face...they will be working on the CGI all the way up until the August release.

Apparently they’ve been updating the CGI in the trailer.

Surprised there's not been any talk of the Thor trailer.

Gorr looks SICK!!! Very freaky and I love the thematic elements with having him in all monochrome black & white (other than his yellow eyes), with the fighting scenes being black & white with the only color coming from Zeus's lightning bolt that Valkyrie is swinging. YouTube video I saw said it was like Gorr was draining the gods of their powers, hence the loss of color in the scenes.

The first scenes with Thor meditating on the planet with the blue race of people, I saw that's perhaps Yondu's people (the Zatoan Tribe), which is why the Guardians are there fighting with them....which could mean they are on their home world of Centauri IV...which would make the star system Alpha Centauri system. Also the same YouTube video said that in Eternals, they mention being on Centauri-VI when they helped birth a Celestial there and destroyed the planet, (which is what Thena went all crazy over). They theorized that could be Gorr's homeworld, which ties everything together and gives his backstory as to why he's so angry at the gods and is the God Butcher now.

In the scene where Jane powers up Mjolnir, she's standing in some large chamber where there are (at least) 5 large statues. On the right they appear to be (click names for wiki entries): The Living Tribunal, The Watcher (Uatu from "What If...?"), [perhaps a 6th to the left of The Watcher out of view]....on the left from L to R: Lady Death (possibly), Eon (see below), and Infinity.

(click to see larger version)

EON:
eon.jpg

This is a really awesome scene, and is theorized to be the Cosmic Gods, or the Gods above the gods, also known as Those Who Sit Above In Shadow.....but that's just a theory, as they are the ones that rule above the Asgardians and give Mjolnir its power.....just a thought, I think it's interesting.

And the last scene with Thor in front of Zeus and the Olympians is hilarious. "YOU FLICK TOO HARD DAMMIT!", which is an inside joke because supposedly FLICK, when written in all caps, italic, Comic Sans font looks like FUCK: FLICK!....

Also in that scene, Thor has a tattoo on his back of Loki's helmet with RIP LOKI above it, thought that was cool...

Anyway, those are my thoughts and sightings...ready for another Taika Waititi movie/Thor movie! I think it will be hilarious.

Last edited:
Back