• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CBM: X-Men '97 finale; My Adventures with Superman S2 May 25; The Boys S4 June 13

Stargate SG-1 is awesome. Worth getting through a few slow silly episodes in the first season.

Stargate Atlantis is very good. Worth watching for the Rodney McKay and Shepard characters alone.

Stargate Universe is boring trash. Destroyed a good Sci-Fi Franchise.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks.

WB/DC gets Ben freakin' Affleck for Batman.

Meanwhile, Bradley Cooper is in talks to voice Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy. Marvel's casting just destroys DC's.

Forgot to do this:

jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

Better than Orlando Bloom. I'm glad they are going with an older Batman. I think Affleck will be fine, I might have preferred Josh Brolin or Gerard Butler, but Affleck has shown his chops recently with The Town, Argo, To the Wonder. Guess I'm alone in actually liking this casting.

Why an older Batman? Aren't they trying to establish a franchise?

My first thought was "No!" My second thought was "No." My third thought was "Maybe it'll be okay." Maybe I should go with my first thought. But I don't know, I can kind of see it.

Why an older Batman? Aren't they trying to establish a franchise?
The movie would probably be a mess if they were to try and put a young Batman in, do an origin story for him, have him trying to learn the ropes while Superman is doing the same thing. An older Batman creates a much more interesting dynamic, he can serve as a mentor to Superman, and I've always preferred the older, more grizzled version of Batman.

This also likely sets up Affleck to be the star/director of Justice League.

The movie would probably be a mess if they were to try and put a young Batman in, do an origin story for him, have him trying to learn the ropes while Superman is doing the same thing. An older Batman creates a much more interesting dynamic, he can serve as a mentor to Superman, and I've always preferred the older, more grizzled version of Batman.

This also likely sets up Affleck to be the star/director of Justice League.

They don't need to do an origin story for Batman. They barely needed to do one for Superman. Just do an early Batman establishing his rep. No need to go back through the whole grind.

They don't need to do an origin story for Batman. They barely needed to do one for Superman. Just do an early Batman establishing his rep. No need to go back through the whole grind.
Every big screen adaptation of Batman ever has featured a young Batman. The character is very multi-faceted, Batman as an aged, battle-weary man is a huge part of who he is. I'm excited that they are taking the character in a new direction as opposed to just rehashing what we've all seen before.

Him as an older man also offers vastly more/new dramatic possibilities than what we've seen. Nolan's Batman is pretty much untouchable, so makes sense to take him in a new direction.

Affleck will be 3 years older than Bale in The Dark Knight Rises.

Affleck will be 43 when it's released.

Keaton was 38 and 41.
Kilmer was 36.
Clooney was 36.

There's never been a young Batman. And I say that as a 37 year old.

Affleck will be 3 years older than Bale in The Dark Knight Rises.

Affleck will be 43 when it's released.

Keaton was 38 and 41.
Kilmer was 36.
Clooney was 36.

There's never been a young Batman. And I say that as a 37 year old.
Maybe not young in the sense that the actor was young, but the character has always been portrayed as a youthful man, with the exception of TDKR. I think it's much preferable to already have a seasoned Batman, and Affleck can play the weary, tired character very well (like in The Town). I just think it would have been a mistake to cast someone who is the same age as Cavill.

Judging by twitter it would seem the anger over this is international. Who would be better than Affleck? Is there anyone who could've been named that wouldn't make people mad? Affleck seems so bland to me, while Bale always seemed cool and a bit crazy. Cool and crazy beats bland. But what big name is out there like that?

Judging by twitter it would seem the anger over this is international. Who would be better than Affleck? Is there anyone who could've been named that wouldn't make people mad? Affleck seems so bland to me, while Bale always seemed cool and a bit crazy. Cool and crazy beats bland. But what big name is out there like that?

Why should it need to be a big name?

Jeff [Redacted]!!

So much of the Twitter anger seems to stem from Daredevil, which wasn't bad due to his efforts, and a string of movies we all know and "love" by now. He's just not that guy any more.

As for his age, my favorite Batman stories have been set when he was older. Heck Affleck is younger than Bruce in "Dark Knight Returns."

Would he have been my first choice if I were Mr. Warner Brothers President? No. They could have done worse though, a lot worse. I'm still skeptical the Bats/Supes movie will be above a 5/10, but that was my prediction before Affleck too.

Why should it need to be a big name?

Not necessarily A-list but it's at least gotta be a mid-carder, a known name. I wish Marvel didn't have Mark Ruffalo tied up, because he would have been my first choice. Someone like that.

I just don't think Affleck does dark and brooding very well. The actors who have done Batman well have been the guys who've been able to turn that dark corner. Affleck tried that in Daredevil and it came across forced. Hopefully he's gotten better at it in the past ten years...

Sort of surprised Affleck would want to do it given that there's a high likelihood this is going to suck. I know it's a good paycheck, but I thought he'd already learned that lesson.

Back