• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lawn Care Thread

TuffaloDeac10

🌹☭
Reaction score
What up, Pit?

I have a HOST of oak sapplings growing in the yard and garden of my house. How do I kill them all without glysophate? Some are in the lawn and others are in a mulched garden. I've mowed all the yard ones once but obviously that's not the end of the story. I need to kill them for good.

i don't know anything about lawn care (as has been evidenced by multiple threads, begun by me, asking the most basic lawn care questions), so i can't help.

however, can we turn this into a thread for all lawn care questions? if so, i would like to throw out there that i got my front lawn resodded this year. maybe a month and a half ago. and it looks awesome and i am SO happy with it. but i'm wondering what my maintenance looks like going forward. this is likely a stupid question, but if it was just resodded this spring, do i need to aerate and reseed this fall? or am i good for another year? is there anything else i need to do toward the end of this summer/fall so that the lawn will look just as good next year?

If they are small enough to mow, can you just pull/dig them out? Then no chemicals would be necessary.

What up, Pit?

I have a HOST of oak sapplings growing in the yard and garden of my house. How do I kill them all without glysophate? Some are in the lawn and others are in a mulched garden. I've mowed all the yard ones once but obviously that's not the end of the story. I need to kill them for good.

We tend to have pine saplings. The only thing we have found to be truely effective is to pull them by hand.

i don't know anything about lawn care (as has been evidenced by multiple threads, begun by me, asking the most basic lawn care questions), so i can't help.

however, can we turn this into a thread for all lawn care questions? if so, i would like to throw out there that i got my front lawn resodded this year. maybe a month and a half ago. and it looks awesome and i am SO happy with it. but i'm wondering what my maintenance looks like going forward. this is likely a stupid question, but if it was just resodded this spring, do i need to aerate and reseed this fall? or am i good for another year? is there anything else i need to do toward the end of this summer/fall so that the lawn will look just as good next year?

Most lawns have a tough time in the summer. Keep it watered if you can and don't let the weeds take control. Even with those steps, however, you will probably want to at least overseed in the fall. The aerating helps keep your soil in good shape but it will also help your new seed take hold. So, yes, you probably will want to have it plugged and seeded in the fall. If you can swing it, and especially since you just invested in sod, consider hiring some local company to handle your weed control and fertilizer. That should probably run around $300 for a full year of service. Then all you need to worry about is water and cutting.

All I know is that I've hired a lawn service each of the last two years, yet my lawn looks no better than it had when I was doing it on my own. It's worth it because I don't have the time, but frankly I expected it to look great. It looks, well, like I take care of it.

Also - why do I get grubs when my neighbors don't? I have much more landscaping than them - could that be why? That said, I don't have any more crape myrtles than many of my neighbors, which (I think) can contribute to grubs, right (probably not)?

All I know is that I've hired a lawn service each of the last two years, yet my lawn looks no better than it had when I was doing it on my own. It's worth it because I don't have the time, but frankly I expected it to look great. It looks, well, like I take care of it.

Also - why do I get grubs when my neighbors don't? I have much more landscaping than them - could that be why? That said, I don't have any more crape myrtles than many of my neighbors, which (I think) can contribute to grubs, right (probably not)?

I wish I could remember all of the details. Like you, my neighbor used to hire someone to do his yard. He had a grub problem as well. Basically the chemicals that the lawn service was using was causing the grub problems. At one point, our neighbor had dead grass circles where the grubs were and where they had used to chemicals. It didn't work. We didn't have any because of the way we were doing our lawn ourselves (this is where I don't know the details but would be happy to try to get them for you).

I wish I could remember all of the details. Like you, my neighbor used to hire someone to do his yard. He had a grub problem as well. Basically the chemicals that the lawn service was using was causing the grub problems. At one point, our neighbor had dead grass circles where the grubs were and where they had used to chemicals. It didn't work. We didn't have any because of the way we were doing our lawn ourselves (this is where I don't know the details but would be happy to try to get them for you).

That would be terrific, WakeGal. Many thanks!

grubs are prolly japanese beetle larva sevin dust watered in just before dark will getem apply when you see the dirt looking a little churned

Really, it was very dumb of me to not pick up and throw out the acorns after buying. Whoops.

If you have squirrels, there are many buried you could never see on the ground. All the ones the squirrels forget around here turn into little trees. Pulling hundreds by hand is a pain. As long as they don't get very large, mowing over them will be the easiest. The ones in the mulched area would be better suited for pulling. If you ever redo the beds, put down seedless paper, and they'll be easy to pull up.

In my mind the only solution is to not have a lawn or hire a lawn service. I guess I am not at that point in my life where I really dig doing lawn work. I also don't own my own joint yet with a yard, but when I do (if I do) I think it will be tough to convince me the virtues of taking care of my yard. I think the best solution in my mind is to hire a lawn service. I did too much yard work as a kid to even spend more than 30 minutes the rest of my life mowing a lawn or trimming hedges. When I have kids though... lawn service goes away... in come the kids...

Or I will just get gravel... for my whole front and back of the house... thoughts? Was that comprehensible?

I actually enjoy yard work, but it's a hobby of mine. I have 6 acres of yard, and spend 4+ hours a week just mowing. For me, it's a time to relax and wind down from the days work. I'd love to have an artificial putting green, but other than that, its difficult to beat a freshly mowed, manicured lawn.

If you have squirrels, there are many buried you could never see on the ground. All the ones the squirrels forget around here turn into little trees. Pulling hundreds by hand is a pain. As long as they don't get very large, mowing over them will be the easiest. The ones in the mulched area would be better suited for pulling. If you ever redo the beds, put down seedless paper, and they'll be easy to pull up.

I have a couple squirrels. What if I get a pet pig?

Haven't edited any squirrels recently.

The acorn caches are much easier to weed than the ones that have dropped into the grasses. Good grief there are just so many. I don't know if I'll ever be done.

Back