• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Lawn Care Thread

I did just learn that they're perfectly edible (as long as you haven't sprayed any pesticide). I'm about to save a fortune on scallion costs.

i have saved hundreds on scallions by NOT EATING WEEDS

would be funny to make it mandatory for anyone giving advice on the lawn care or weight loss threads to post a pic of their yard / body to establish credibility

I did just learn that they're perfectly edible (as long as you haven't sprayed any pesticide). I'm about to save a fortune on scallion costs.

Two years ago I saw the chef from one of those douchebag millennial small plate farm-to-table joints in his full chef costume come across the street and wander through the outfield of a little league field picking mushrooms and other shit out of the grass to take back with him before we started practice. Apparently "farm" is now a synonym for Mecklenburg County Parks & Rec -maintained field that likely gets doused in DDT weekly. Needless to say, I never ate there again and it soon went under.

would be funny to make it mandatory for anyone giving advice on the lawn care or weight loss threads to post a pic of their yard / body to establish credibility

No problem... Here's me before I mowed the lawn yesterday.

1.jpg

This is both a fair and funny requirement because until the zoysia takes over my yard is an expensive cautionary tale of trying to get fescue to grow. If anyone chooses not to listen to my advice, just go to Southern States and ask to consult with somebody. There is probably a guy in a back office with a NCSU, VT, or Clemson degree that can help you out better than any big box store.

Two years ago I saw the chef from one of those douchebag millennial small plate farm-to-table joints in his full chef costume come across the street and wander through the outfield of a little league field picking mushrooms and other shit out of the grass to take back with him before we started practice. Apparently "farm" is now a synonym for Mecklenburg County Parks & Rec -maintained field that likely gets doused in DDT weekly. Needless to say, I never ate there again and it soon went under.

When we moved into our home 10 years ago, I saw a neighbor of mine collecting dandelions from their yard full of dandelions. I asked a different neighbor about it and they said she makes teas, salads and other stuff from the weeds. The bitch was cultivating DANDELIONS!!! Its taken me more than a decade to finally get rid of the damned dandelions from my lawn. I won't spray chemicals (especially on the backyard) because of our bulldogs who think they are part cow.

Got a break from the rain to get the pre-emergent down today. Also spread fortified lime, and some fertilizer on the dormant zoysia, new fescue, and in the garden plot.

We have fescue and overseed every fall. Towards the end of the summer season (now) we get some crabgrass buttonweed growing in. Do I want to kill that before overseeding or just let the cooler weather handle that?

We have fescue and overseed every fall. Towards the end of the summer season (now) we get some crabgrass buttonweed growing in. Do I want to kill that before overseeding or just let the cooler weather handle that?
That’s a great question.

For me personally I let the cooler weather handle it and kill it in the spring - IMO it is too much work to kill it in August, wait a month, then overseed it in September. I’m big on planting seed now and having it get established before the leaves fall.

I also used a manual aerator for the first time this year and I am a big fan. I recommend it as long as the grass is wet (morning after a good rain, or after a long sprinkler run) and as long as you don’t mind some manual labor with a small to medium sized yard. It’s only $16 vs. hundreds of dollars on aerator rentals.

Back