• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Letter to Hatch- don't send to Wellman/Canned Hatch repsonse

To be honest, I think [Redacted] wants to be released from the job.

Jeff%20Bzdelik%20041410.jpg

Bz knows how badly we want him gone. He has known for quite a while. He is sad, frustrated, and overwhelmed. However, short of a health concern due to stress or a professional misconduct meltdown, I dont see him resigning on his own. There is no upside for him. This will be his last job in basketball. He will not walk away on his own. A negotiated settlement is the only viable option at this point. If it is announced that he has resigned, be sure that is the public spin to cover a buyout that sends him into retirement.

You know, this would explain the lost basset hound look he always seems to have on the sidelines.

Bz knows how badly we want him gone. He has known for quite a while. He is sad, frustrated, and overwhelmed. However, short of a health concern due to stress or a professional misconduct meltdown, I dont see him resigning on his own. There is no upside for him. This will be his last job in basketball. He will not walk away on his own. A negotiated settlement is the only viable option at this point. If it is announced that he has resigned, be sure that is the public spin to cover a buyout that sends him into retirement.

Wellman has got to know how bad things are. Have you heard anything recently about his thoughts on the hoops program? And do you think it's remotely possible he makes a coaching change in-season?

A couple of tips, folks:

1. If you're going to write a letter, I agree w/ rj that it should go to Hatch, not Wellman. A letter to individual members of the BOT wouldn't hurt, since they're the boss of Hatch.

2. Keep it very short--two paragraphs or less. Seriously.

3. Most important, make it thoughtful and use as your angle the negative impact our lack of success is having on the univ overall. A letter that shows some insight into the big picture will be much more effective than, "we suck and Coach XX must be fired right now!!!!" or "I have been a WF sports fan for life and me and my family are hurting right now!!111" You will have zero credibility with types like Hatch w/ the latter approach.

Hard to argue with this observation. It is amazing that the revenue freefall from lost ticket sales and the absence of any home court support from the most loyal Deacon fans has not sounded alarm bells long before now. They have convinced themselves they are right and seem hellbent on their delusional course that has run our once-proud team into the ground. I cant imagine how the staff will be able to recruit the talent we need to compete ... how do you bring a top recruit into the Joel and say, "look around, this is where you will want to play your college ball."

You say it is hard to argue with Sportin's observation that this is an "insitutuional commitment to a change in the hoops program." But you still think the "culture change" is BS? What exactly are they trying to accomplish then?

You know, this would explain the lost basset hound look he always seems to have on the sidelines.
Agreed. Seems like Buzz thought, "I've been an assistant/scout all these years, lets see if I can be a head coach in major college basketball". He tried, failed, and now realizes he made a mistake but can't get out of it.

If Wellman knows he himself made a mistake, and Buzz knows he made a mistake, why are we still going through with this? Fire him, make Battle interim through March, and then hire a new coach who brings in his own staff.

I feel lower than a gopher's basement about the status of Wake hoops. It is amazing that I don't even know when the next game is, or who we are playing. Obviously I care about what's going on, but my "give-a-shit" meter lessens every day.

It would be interesting to see how many fans we draw after [Redacted] was fired. I bet the fanbase doubles for the immediate game after.

Doesn't care, gettin' paid.

It would be interesting to see how many fans we draw after [Redacted] was fired. I bet the fanbase doubles for the immediate game after.

Ticket sale would pick up a bit. But you'd likely see a lot more folks actually going to games.

You say it is hard to argue with Sportin's observation that this is an "insitutuional commitment to a change in the hoops program." But you still think the "culture change" is BS? What exactly are they trying to accomplish then?

Briefly, the "culture change" excuse is revisionary BS. The hard-to-argue response referred to the opinion that Hatch may be part of this situation, not the go-to solution.

As said before, I think RW saw in Butler a model he desired for WFU. He and Dino disagreed about the type of player we should pursue. Ironically, it was the reverse roles that got TOB fired by Yow. The disagreement was about talent level, not "character" issues. Dino wanted to be able to recruit the best talent. He lost that debate. There were other issues between the two as well.

"Culture change" has been spun to imply that there were "character" issues with Dino's teams that didnt exist before or since. Not really true. The only difference was that for a few years player problems were publicly aired. If that was part of a greater strategy to justify a course of events is unknowable by us. What is known but not publicly acknowledged is that similar problems happened before but were addressed privately. The same thing has happened over the last two or three years ... just didnt get the publicity that the earlier ones did. Amazingly, folks think if they dont know about something, it must have never happened. What has happened is that we are losing and damaging our fan support at historical levels.

Bz, if you're that miserable, just resign. Life's too short, man.

Back