• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dead Bodies of Mt. Everest

I mean, I clearly have some impact, as you keep replying to my pithy posts. You just can't help yourself.

There's nothing "pithy" about your posts. "Pissy" would be more accurate. But you have never changed and never will. That's sad, but it is your choice to act the way so many acted towards you throughout your life.

BTW, the person at whom the post was directed appreciated it. So, who is offbase? Him or you?

I think RJ could possibly be funny in person, it just doesn't translate to the internet that well. Still his jokes are typically light hearted and harmless, so WGAF? If they bother you, it's probably a you problem then.

BTW, for an RJ joke that was well above average, some could even say funny.

There's nothing "pithy" about your posts. "Pissy" would be more accurate. But you have never changed and never will. That's sad, but it is your choice to act the way so many acted towards you throughout your life.

BTW, the person at whom the post was directed appreciated it. So, who is offbase? Him or you?

You know what time it is.

477063.jpg

Should Everest be shut down to climbers?

We know summit is attainable, it has been climbed in almost all manors possible. Now it just seems like the climb is nothing more than a check box on rich peoples bucket lists. Is that worth polluting the mountain, causing deaths, and destroying the culture of the people in the area. I don't think so. Shut it down. At least to non locals.

Last edited:
Should Everest be shut down to climbers?

We know summit is attainable, it has been climbed in almost all manors possible. Now it just seems like the climb is nothing more than a check box on rich peoples bucket lists. Is that worth polluting the mountain, causing deaths, and destroying the culture of the people in the area. I don't think so. Shut it down. At least to non locals.

I think it should either be shut down or people should be required to summit the six other tallest mountains on the other continents first.

It should require qualifying times, and then a lottery system to further pare down the list if necessary.

And severely limit the number of tour guide companies allowed to operate.

I think RJ could possibly be funny in person, it just doesn't translate to the internet that well. Still his jokes are typically light hearted and harmless, so WGAF? If they bother you, it's probably a you problem then.

BTW, for an RJ joke that was well above average, some could even say funny.

no

The problem with restricting the summit is that now the entire local economy is dependent on the tourism money.

The problem with restricting the summit is that now the entire local economy is dependent on the tourism money.

yep. it's a classic "tragedy of the commons" situation. Nepal and China (but especially Nepal) have every incentive to maximize climbing permits and the associated fees and jobs for Sherpas.

yep. it's a classic "tragedy of the commons" situation. Nepal and China (but especially Nepal) have every incentive to maximize climbing permits and the associated fees and jobs for Sherpas.

I mean, there's an element of "tragedy of the commons" here, but it's unrelated to the second part or your post and far from a classic example

This is also a consequence of rich people being overconfident in their abilities. There have been some good write ups about this in the last week or so.

This is also a consequence of rich people being overconfident in their abilities. There have been some good write ups about this in the last week or so.

if there's a line of 300 people 200 feet from the summit, that's not overconfidence.

Back