• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dead Bodies of Mt. Everest

TWDeac

Resident Astrophysicist
Staff member
Reaction score
Warning: The site contains some skeletons and somewhat disturbing pictures.

Green_Boots.png

The body of "Green Boots" (an Indian climber who died in 1996) lies near a cave that all climbers pass on their way to the peak. Green Boots now serves as a waypoint marker that climbers use to gauge how near they are to the summit. Green Boots became separated from his party in 1996 and sought this mountain overhang (really a small, open mouthed cave) to use as protection from the elements. He sat there shivering in the cold until he died. The wind has since blown his body over.

Dead_body_david_sharp.png

The body of David Sharp still sits in a cave at the top of Mount Everest. David attempted the climb in 2005 and near the top, stopped in this cave to rest. His body eventually froze in place rendering him unable to move. Over 30 climbers passed by him as he sat freezing to death. Some heard faint moans and realized he was still alive. They stopped and spoke with him. He was able to identify himself but was unable to move. Brave climbers moved him into the Sun in an attempt to thaw him but eventually, realizing David would be unable to move, were forced to leave him to die. His body still sits in the cave and is used as a guide point for other climbers nearing the summit.

http://www.altereddimensions.net/places/dead-bodies-mount-everest.aspx

The Pit has taken a dark turn lately, with this and the "which dead chick do you want to bang" thread.

so fascinating. everest truly fascinates me. i have no desire to climb it, because i really can't justify the risk (or cost)... but i want to go to base camp so badly.

I wonder if this is where Bz will leave the carcass of Wake Forest's basketball program too?

so fascinating. everest truly fascinates me. i have no desire to climb it, because i really can't justify the risk (or cost)... but i want to go to base camp so badly.

Same here on all accounts. I'd be too freaked out that some freak storm would come in or that I'd get summit fever or something to even think about trying it but I'll read/watch just about anything about Everest.

I think I mentioned this in the book thread or somewhere else, but if you haven't read Into Thin Air, that's an obvious must for Everest lovers. But I also recently read High Crimes: The Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed and thought it was pretty interesting. I don't think it's as well written as Krakauer's book and it can be a little confusing following the names/stories with the way it is written, but it's definitely a side of Everest I don't think is shown as often.

^ I read High Crimes last year based on your rec in the book thread. Some pretty shady characters and stories for sure.

I'm the same. I'd love to go to the base camp, look up at the mountain and then go back to my warm cozy bed. I have so much respect for those that climb it, but I'm not that crazy.

I'm the same. I'd love to go to the base camp, look up at the mountain and then go back to my warm cozy bed. I have so much respect for those that climb it, but I'm not that crazy.

“I want to climb a mountain—not so I can get to the top—cause I want to hang out at base camp. That seems fuckin’ fun as shit. You sleep in a colorful tent, you grow a beard, you drink hot chocolate, you walk around, ‘Hey, you going to the top?’ . . . ‘Soon.’”

If I ever get suicidal I'm just going to climb Everest and leave a real bitchin' corpse for future generations to see.

\At 26,000 feet, in the “death zone”, necrosis sets in and their body begins to die. During their ascent, the climber is literally teetering on the brink of life and death and in a race to reach the summit (and back) before their bodies shut down and die.

This is just so crazy.

Not worth it.

Mountain climbing is up there for me in shit I never want to do and I don't really care about

Back