• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Midnight Moon Moonshine

19deac92

You are a meathead.
Reaction score
I'm enjoying an evening toddy of Midnight Moon Moonshine, distilled in Madison, NC, that I bought this week at the ABC store. I bought the Apple Pie variety -- 70 proof. There other varieties, including straight moonshine of 100 proof.

Has anyone else tried this stuff? It tastes pretty good. I'm thinking about getting some of this for my friends for Christmas.

I have a bottle of the plain old Junior Johnson Midnight Moon. I think I've mentioned before, but it basically tastes like vodka. My wife likes it with a little lime juice and some simple syrup.

Yeah, what I have is the Junior Johnson Midnight Moon like you say. I decided to get the "Apple Pie" kind after watching Season 2 of "Justified."

I've tried pretty much all of them. To me, they taste like a nice flavored vodka. None of them are as good as the illegal stuff Junior makes though.

I bought some in July and have not finished more than 1/8 of the jar. Think it tastes awful. Illegal is the way to go if you can find it. So much smoother.

Yeah, I pretty much am aware of that. There is such a thing as a PM.

Edited to add: And yeah, I don't expect someone to tell me in a PM anything to the effect of "Go talk to Jake over in East Bend. Turn right at the third tree stump on Rural Route 5." I'm just curious.

Last edited:
You're still a stranger...doubt anyone's going to PM you any leads either. My own family member won't even tell me anything about where he gets his from. I know the "ultimate" source, but nothing about how it gets from there to me.

Racer:

I know you are right. I didn't honestly expect anyone to respond to me. And yes, I realized that I was asking for my intelligence, and at the very least my sobriety, to be questioned as a result of my open request for "information" that isn't normally shared. My Dad was telling me yesterday that when he was a boy, a mason jar of moonshine would magically appear in their mailbox every now and then. (He was raised on a small farm in rural Surry County.) HIs Dad would never say a word about where it came from.

Again, I'm just curious. And I guess I will continue to be curious.

Have a good one.

You're still a stranger...doubt anyone's going to PM you any leads either. My own family member won't even tell me anything about where he gets his from. I know the "ultimate" source, but nothing about how it gets from there to me.

Racer is right, no one will give you their source. I have an alcohol license, so i have cut all knowledge of current illegal moonshine to cover my ass legally. 2 of my great grandfathers ran moonshine. Ones brother was shot and killed running. My great grandfather told me some great stories of running.

I know someone who knows someone who knows someone if I want some. I may or may not have some peach brandy. I think my dad is bringing me some of the good stuff at Christmas.

Since he's gone legit, Junior's stuff is much more difficult to find. It's out there, but not nearly as available as just a few years back. Its been probably 2-3 years since I've had any. There was a huge distribution bust a couple years back, and since then things have really tightened up.

Since he's gone legit, Junior's stuff is much more difficult to find. It's out there, but not nearly as available as just a few years back. Its been probably 2-3 years since I've had any. There was a huge distribution bust a couple years back, and since then things have really tightened up.

i still got that strawberry you gave me last year. need to get into that at some point.

anyone watch the "Moonshiners" program on
Discovery? They make $200,000 per season----tax free! I think I am in the wrong business

I watched it quite a bit last year and enjoyed it. I haven't seen it thus far this season.

The guy Tickle on Moonshiners cracks me up quite a bit. He reminds me a lot of Chumlee on Pawn Stars in that his apparent stupidity has to be an act. He really can't be that dumb in real life (can he?) and instead seems to lay it on thick just to improve ratings.

Discovery? They make $200,000 per season----tax free! I think I am in the wrong business

**Let me preface this by saying ignore deachawks post above....I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about.**

Now that we've got that out of the way, only the largest outfit on that show has any chance at all to bring in that much $$. On top of that, there are so many channels that they have to go through now to stay one step ahead of the law. Its down to a science. Each wort component is delivered to different drop points for every batch, and the same for the finished product. From there the finished product is distributed to a cutter who cuts it into the different flavors or waters it down to a drinkable proof (most distillers just distill the high test stuff and move it along, cutting it at the still is too much work), who then moves it on to the seller. All of this is set up by a person who's sole job is to orchestrate the whole thing. He never has contact with the product, just calls and tells people when and were to do their role. Each one of those people gets paid per jar. Back in the old days, there was only the distiller, the runner, and the seller. The money was much better. Now with all the different hands in the pot, that $200k gets split down significantly. Its true they can still make one hell of a living tax free by distilling, a living better than they could with a legitimate job in that area, but its not the instant riches the show make it out to be.

I watched it quite a bit last year and enjoyed it. I haven't seen it thus far this season.

The guy Tickle on Moonshiners cracks me up quite a bit. He reminds me a lot of Chumlee on Pawn Stars in that his apparent stupidity has to be an act. He really can't be that dumb in real life (can he?) and instead seems to lay it on thick just to improve ratings.

That show is entirely staged and they don't actually make moonshine on it.

Back