• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

We actually don't get much snow here ... but this is what I woke up to this morning for vaddog's 7am walk

IMG_20130114_073410.jpg

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE
RALEIGH NC
255 AM EST MON JAN 14 2013

THURSDAY AND THURSDAY NIGHT:EXPANDING INFLUENCE OF THE STRONG CYCLONIC FLOW FROM THE POLAR VORTEX SINKING SOUTHWARD TOWARD SOUTHERN HUDSON BAY WILL EJECT THE SOUTHERN STREAM ENERGY INVOF TEXAS EASTWARD THROUGH THE DEEP SOUTH ON THURSDAY...EXITING THE SOUTHEAST COAST BY FRIDAY MORNING. DETERMINISTIC MODELS CONTINUE TO EXHIBIT POOR RUN-TO-RUN CONTINUITY WITH THIS SYSTEM...STRUGGLING TO RESOLVE THE STRENGTH AND TRACK OF THE SYSTEM. GIVEN THE INCREASING NORTHERN STREAM INFLUENCE...A MORE SOUTHWARD/SUPPRESS SOLUTION IS PREFERRED AT THIS TIME...WHICH WOULD KEEP THE BULK OF PRECIP ACROSS ACROSS SOUTHERN AND EASTERN PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA WITH THICKNESSES AND THERMAL PROFILES SUPPORTING ALL RAIN IN THOSE AREAS. A LESS SUPPRESSED SOLUTION WOULD BRING PRECIP INTO NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA AND WOULD SUPPORT A BRIEF(NUISANCE-NON ADVISORY)WINTRY MIX THURSDAY NIGHT BEFORE QUICKLY DRYING OUT BY DAYBREAK FRIDAY. WILL KEEP A SLIGHT/SMALL CHANCE POP FOR RAIN ACROSS THE SOUTHERN TIER FOR NOW.

The point of WeatherTrends is not to predict the weather for a specific day a year in advance. It's used commercially by Wal-Mart and other large corporations to predict trends that could impact consumption of certain products (snow blowers or portable heaters for instance). It is quite accurate but not something that's really useful for individuals.

The point of WeatherTrends is not to predict the weather for a specific day a year in advance. It's used commercially by Wal-Mart and other large corporations to predict trends that could impact consumption of certain products (snow blowers or portable heaters for instance). It is quite accurate but not something that's really useful for individuals.

Yes very much so. Although I think it can be useful when planning things. I'd rather have something to go on when looking at dates for weddings, vacations, parties, etc. than nothing.

fair, and this seems like a good application.

You should change your title to wrong. ZING

Local news will spend today sensationalizing the upcoming snow. It has begun.

Overnight computer models show a heavy dumping of snow Thursday night through Friday morning from the Triangle north and west to the mountains. Ground is warm, so I doubt you will see anything stick to roadways.

This is the North American Model:
257lra8.gif

And this is the Global Forecasting System Model:
t8t9iw.gif

I have actually eaten bbq crow before, and I can say its not as bad as you'd think. Quite gamey, but palatable.

weather channel not buying for G'boro. My little ones will be very excited though...

The weather channel will change. Meteorologists will base their new forecasts off of these models. By tonight, everyone will be talking snow.

Back