• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

from Matthew East
http://mattheweast.blogspot.com/

"This is a little earlier in the game than I normally like to do it, but here is my VERY preliminary snowfall map. This is 100% subject to change, and I will put out my final map tomorrow morning."

Snow+thoughts.jpg

I live right in the little nipple jutting into SC below Charlotte that looks like it might get a slushy dusting and might not.

i love snow but I'm flying back into Greensboro on a redeye Friday morning and I do NOT need any delays or cancellations.

This is shaping up to be a classic letdown.

Winter Weather Watch for Asheville 3-6 inches total. Intellicast is also calling for 3-6 total (they typically err on the less severe side of forecasts...especially snow) Accuweather saying 1-3 inches (they also generally err on the less severe side of snow storms)

ETA: Accuweather bumped forecast up to 2-4 inches

Last edited:
Some maps showing around 4 inches in CLT and up to 8 in Concord. Others showing absolutely nothing. Per usual, The Dash is in a better spot than the QC/Triangle.

Thanks for your public service, Drew. I would have no idea there was even a potential for snow until it actually happened.

Winter Storm Watch posted for the ATL metro. Wow. I'm hoping this means good news for snow further up I-85.

Just looked at the “Live Cams” on Sugar Mountain, the summit cam is just sad. Can a snowfall of 6-8” have a resort running normal in a day or two? I had always heard you need at least a foot of base to protect against the ground underneath.

Last edited:
Just looked at the “Live Cams” on Sugar Mountain, the summit cam is just sad. Can a snowfall of 6-8” have a resort running normal in a day or two? I had always heard you need at least a foot of base to protect against the ground underneath.

just checked this out.

boarding out here has ruined me for anything east coast, and i've not even been to the best there is to offer out here.

just checked this out.

boarding out here has ruined me for anything east coast, and i've not even been to the best there is to offer out here.

Go to Jackson Hole (if you haven't, and are good). Coolest town by far and best mountain/toughest mountain IMO.

Best website for actually knowing what tomorrow's weather will be? At the moment, I am about an hour SW of Knoxville, TN, and will be driving back to CLT tomorrow, starting at 4 pm. I prefer to go through Asheville on 40, since that is the fastest route. However, I can also go South through Atlanta. Weather.com has become annoying and not very useful.

Weather underground is good. Accuweather is OK, and a lot better than weather.com. I would definitely not go through the mountains, especially at night with what is coming.

Best website for actually knowing what tomorrow's weather will be? At the moment, I am about an hour SW of Knoxville, TN, and will be driving back to CLT tomorrow, starting at 4 pm. I prefer to go through Asheville on 40, since that is the fastest route. However, I can also go South through Atlanta. Weather.com has become annoying and not very useful.

I would definitely take I-40 from Knoxville. How bad could it be? Even if you're delayed or forced to drive slow, you're talking a 7.5 hour drive if you go through Atlanta.

Go to Jackson Hole (if you haven't, and are good). Coolest town by far and best mountain/toughest mountain IMO.

i've been in summer for GTNP, and it's one my top 5 places in the US. it's on the list to go for snow. after this season i'll feel 'good enough' to take advantage of it.

Back