• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

My father, who at 84 is more than a touch on the curmudgeon side and has nothing to do, has begun calling the TV stations when they are wrong/oversell the bad weather. Like a few times a week. For years. Blows them out for it. The Charlotte NBC station hangs up on him now the moment they hear his voice.

Not all heroes wear capes.

This hypersensitivity to snow in middle and eastern North Carolina isn't new.

ERTaQXdXsAIari5

That is actually infinitely more snow than I had his morning.

My father, who at 84 is more than a touch on the curmudgeon side and has nothing to do, has begun calling the TV stations when they are wrong/oversell the bad weather. Like a few times a week. For years. Blows them out for it. The Charlotte NBC station hangs up on him now the moment they hear his voice.

I am shocked that a news station hangs up on old men calling to complain about their reporting. Shocked.

I think this snow event was pretty accurately called by the weather folks, I believe they were calling for <1” of actual accumulation after the rain switched to wintry mix. Dead on. The problem was the schools going crazy on this. If there is a rumor of any ice existing anywhere they’re delaying or cancelling.

I think this snow event was pretty accurately called by the weather folks, I believe they were calling for <1” of actual accumulation after the rain switched to wintry mix. Dead on. The problem was the schools going crazy on this. If there is a rumor of any ice existing anywhere they’re delaying or cancelling.
Agreed. I think the school systems (or at least WSFCS) usually get it right, but they missed bad this time and didn't seem to pay attention to the forecast for today.

They are allowing basketball games to be played this afternoon, so someone realized it was a mistake.

NBC Charlotte (and my boy Brad Panovich) called for a trace to 2 inches for Charlotte. We got half an inch. They were right.

When I was in HS in Winston a student from North Forsyth died in a crash on a morning similar to this morning (little ice, little snow, but 90% of roads are ok). Following that Dr. Martin, our old superintendent, would cancel school if there was a hint of winter weather. I wonder if that philosophy still holds even though we have a new superintendent.

Personally I support caution. Especially when you realize that most school systems bank extra instructional hours (I know Wake County had a bunch, not sure about WSFCS or CMS) and don't have to make up days until you've missed 3 or 4.

As to the calendar y'all are 100 right. As a teacher I'd love to start in early August and finish before Memorial Day. My school district in Texas changed to that after my first year and it was way better.

Last edited:

THat's awesome.

I think the hypersensitivity is really driven by those that look at any risk as unacceptable. In office culture, the "bug what if" mentality is rampant, and leads to shit like this.

No one in public school administration has any balls whatsoever anymore, apparently.

There are summer camps in NC that begin before public school lets out. It's not like they can squeeze in another session in late August.

Best situation for camps is that the school calendar lines up with the university calendars. As it is now, kids are out of school still in August when college student staff go back. Makes for weeks on either end of peak where you either have no kids but staff in June or no staff but kids in August.

i did see a comment on twitter last night that was new to me: high schools start at 7:15 in charlotte; do we really want a bunch of new drivers to be out first thing in the morning? since my 16 y/o son wrecked the car recently driving in fine weather, i can see that. i still think a 2 hour delay would've been a good call.

i did see a comment on twitter last night that was new to me: high schools start at 7:15 in charlotte; do we really want a bunch of new drivers to be out first thing in the morning? since my 16 y/o son wrecked the car recently driving in fine weather, i can see that. i still think a 2 hour delay would've been a good call.

He can ride the bus for one day if you're worried.

That's insane. Forcing teenagers to start learning at 7:15 is setting them up for failure.

Time to bump this thread and perhaps tease those of you who love snow.

StormTotalSnowWeb.jpg

Back