• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Snow

I canceled her over 20 years ago when they pre-empted the Kentucky Derby for several hours of tornado coverage.
I was on the other end of things that day. I spent most of the day searching through the rubble of people's homes. Luckily they were alerted to take cover, and we had no serious injuries. I've been annoyed with preempted coverage too, but totally understand the safety aspect of why it's necessary on network tv.
Haha! I'm not big on the cancel culture route with weather personalities. I think NC wintry weather is very nuanced and hard to get right. Actually, Tim Buckley mentioned it on Saturday, but I didn't watch his show like a moron. I just think that if random weather people on Americanwx forums are stating they think it will be a bad morning and then local meteorologists don't state this clearly.... and, then still play the card, "We told you it would be like this.", it's BS. Error on the side of caution and adjust your news show properly. Rant over and hope for a snow storm around the 14th!
Rant over!
My cousin's husband retired as a professor of meteorology at UNCA. He often commented about how difficult the Piedmont area was to forecast. The Appalachians are tall enough to impact the weather, but aren't tall enough to consistently and predictably cause impacts. Couple that with random moisture from the gulf in the winter, it's a huge headache and why most models are never in alignment.

Is this the last post on the main Snow thread? Almost two years ago? Time to get the discussion going again.

I was on the other end of things that day. I spent most of the day searching through the rubble of people's homes. Luckily they were alerted to take cover, and we had no serious injuries. I've been annoyed with preempted coverage too, but totally understand the safety aspect of why it's necessary on network tv.
Yeah. I get that too. But all they needed to do was to put the Derby in a box on the screen for 2 minutes.

I'll have to defer to @tvcigar here, but I expect during a tornado warning, all hands on deck are devoted to the weather coverage. I can't imagine airing entertainment, even sports was at the forefront of their priorities.

Dear Snowpom (cc: @Wakeforest22890),

What are the odds of appreciable snow in the Triad this weekend? It's been too long. Sincerely,

HTTD

PS - I saw in the NYT that it's been 700 days since New York, Washington, and Philly have had more than an inch of snow.

Bringing my 5 year old to the game on Saturday so id really prefer if it didn’t snow in Winston

Fluctuating between 5-8 and 8-12 up here in PA this weekend. I'm flying to Atlanta for the weekend, so fun times for my wife and the 5 yo.

Back