• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

12-12-12 Sandy Relief Concert

What did Clapton play? I have a hard time believing he was mindblowing considering that his mindblowing capabilities pretty much went away when he became a junkie.

Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
Gonna Be Better in a Little While
Crossroads

He was monster for decades after he was a junkie.

It happened...it felt right...Dave is gnarsty on the drums

Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
Gonna Be Better in a Little While
Crossroads

He was monster for decades after he was a junkie.

He lost his soul at some point after Derek & The Dominoes. I listen to his shit with Cream and The Dominoes (though a lot of the latter greatness is due to Duane Allman) and there is just no contest compared to what came after. By the time he got clean or probably at some point before, his playing became sterile. Don't get me wrong-- he still plays a zillion times better than I ever will. But he is easily the most overrated "classic" guitarist out there.

He got into the blues. That's a lot different. When he plays rock, there are virtually no guitarists who can touch him. He's just not into as much as he was.

Alicia Keys is remarkable. Her voice is near pitch perfect. Her playing is tasty. Her writing separates her from most singers. And she is spectacularly beautiful.

He got into the blues. That's a lot different. When he plays rock, there are virtually no guitarists who can touch him. He's just not into as much as he was.

Alicia Keys is remarkable. Her voice is near pitch perfect. Her playing is tasty. Her writing separates her from most singers. And she is spectacularly beautiful.

She looked smoking tonight

A whole lot of testosterone treatments in Roger. The shirt open, the pecs, the shaved chest . . . it's like a 50 year old woman rocking a spaghetti strap dress. Don't do it, grow the f*** up.

Roger Daltrey should retire. He can't sing a lick.

Agreed. Given how on-point Vedder was, they should have let him sing with Townsend, or at least duet with Daltrey.

I'm also surprised they didn't bring Bruce and Bon Jovi back out at the end. I mean, I know NYers love to slurp their own schlongs more than anyone, but closing with a NY City song instead of My Hometown or Thunder Road (or Land of Hope & Dreams if they moved the order around)under the circumstances was somewhat annoying.

Kanye was a fucking embarrassment to the benefit last night. Not only is he a no talent clown, but he threw his mike and walked off the stage without a single word. Every other musician thanked the crowd and at least pretended to care about the message. What was he thinking agreeing to be a part of this?

I flipped through sometime around 7:30 and I think Pink Floyd was playing. I'm not much of a fan of classic rock anyway, but it was pretty miserable, I thought. Meant to check back later to see who was on, but forgot. Would have liked to have seen Vedder and Grohl.

I flipped through sometime around 7:30 and I think Pink Floyd was playing. I'm not much of a fan of classic rock anyway, but it was pretty miserable, I thought. Meant to check back later to see who was on, but forgot. Would have liked to have seen Vedder and Grohl.

hates pink floyd. loves radiohead. does not compute.

thom yorke isn't even as good as the sweat on the underside of roger waters's balls

Kanye was a fucking embarrassment to the benefit last night. Not only is he a no talent clown, but he threw his mike and walked off the stage without a single word. Every other musician thanked the crowd and at least pretended to care about the message. What was he thinking agreeing to be a part of this?

when he came to Bonnaroo in 08 he was originally supposed to play the 2nd biggest stage earlier in the evening (while Pearl Jam was headlining), but he wanted the big stage, so they moved him to a late night set (2 am - 4 am). Phil Lesh and Friends were playing the on the 2nd big stage from midnight - 4 am but had to end at 2 because Kanye kept bitching about how he didn't want anyone else playing while he was. Kanye didn't go on stage until about 3:30 am or so, didn't say a word to the crowd apologizing for the delay and didn't thank them at the end. fuck him.

Just watched a couple of the Clapton songs on YouTube. Definitely a good night for him. Sounded more like his Cream days. Perhaps it had to do with playing in a trio again. His rhythm section was very tight, as was his own playing on Got To Get Better. Solos were better than usual for him, but still lacking soul...more like just going through the motions.

Totally disagree about Daltrey. I watched expecting very little from the remainder of the Who, my favorite band of all time. I thought he found his voice and did a damned good job. Zach Starkey is a monster on drums and the Moonie clips on Bell Boy were terrific. Really surprised me and I thought they blew the Stones off the stage (my close second fav band).

That Alicia Keys shit was horrible. Yeah she can sing but the songwriting blows. Terrible songs with meandering and sometimes indiscernible melodies through all that warbling and oversinging. That was awful. It didn't stir any emotion and the crowd seemed bored to tears. She is highly overrated

Just watched a couple of the Clapton songs on YouTube. Definitely a good night for him. Sounded more like his Cream days. Perhaps it had to do with playing in a trio again. His rhythm section was very tight, as was his own playing on Got To Get Better. Solos were better than usual for him, but still lacking soul...more like just going through the motions.

Had you seen him live recently? I saw him in 02 and again in 08 or so and was blown away both times.

Of course, I wasn't alive when he was on top of the world.

Really enjoyed the Comfortably Numb. Will watch more tonight (via DVR).

Vedder was so good, so was Pink Floyd overall. Alicia Keys was awesome.... am I the first to mention Adam Sandlers' song? That was hysterical..... Great show, going to watch the rest tonight. I was looking forward to Kanye, not anymore.

Back