• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

Junebug-- are you going to respond to the people making legitimate responses to your posts, or are you only going to pay attention to the personal attacks?

Yes, because RJKarl, who hates personal attacks by the way, clearly knows more about what is going on in Junebug's life than Junebug.

OK my bad I deleted it.....I'll be holding my breath for you to post the same when I am attacked.

Are you advocating crazy gun owners shouldn't be allowed to vote? You and BBD could get together on that issue.

That is one of the things that people should do collectively: decide what constitutes mental incompetence. If you are mentally incompetent and cannot make your own decisions, then you must be under the care of a person or persons who are mentally competent and you cannot enjoy all the rights enjoyed by others. Gun rights and voting rights are two of these IMO. Gunvoting is definitely out of the question.

I will make this really easy. You can talk all day long about how to fix this problem, legislation, restrictions, gun bans, etc. My wife has been a middle school teacher for nearly 20 years. What she has witnessed is a gradual moral decline of the family unit, period! Parents as a general rule are less and less involved with their kids. It can be a result of stress, economic difficulties, drug use, laziness, or a combination of things but it always involves the kids being less nurtured. Combine that with the increased violence in movies, video games, and music and you've got the beginnings of a bad situation. I agree with mebanedeac that abortion, along with many other circumstances, does lead to a decreased respect for life. You can get pissed about bringing up abortion but you can't change the fact that something in this world is changing as a whole. Some gun control can possibly help but you've got to fix the root before you mend the branches.

I will make this really easy. You can talk all day long about how to fix this problem, legislation, restrictions, gun bans, etc. My wife has been a middle school teacher for nearly 20 years. What she has witnessed is a gradual moral decline of the family unit, period! Parents as a general rule are less and less involved with their kids. It can be a result of stress, economic difficulties, drug use, laziness, or a combination of things but it always involves the kids being less nurtured. Combine that with the increased violence in movies, video games, and music and you've got the beginnings of a bad situation. I agree with mebanedeac that abortion, along with many other circumstances, does lead to a decreased respect for life. You can get pissed about bringing up abortion but you can't change the fact that something in this world is changing as a whole. Some gun control can possibly help but you've got to fix the root before you mend the branches.

Good post. This isn't a single solution problem, and the toughest one is societal.

Copulation control.

I don't remember being particularly nurtured growing up in the 70s. We as kids were mostly on our own.

I often wonder why all of the "open-minded" individuals on this board are so quick to throw stones when someone doesn't agree with their ideas. Most of the great leaders of this world had enough wisdom to know they didn't have all the answers but obviously some of you do. You can't argue legitametly that this world has not gotten better with age. I wonder why a lot of these kids are usually described as intelligent from a middle to upper class family but are usually withdrawn or loners. There seems to be a common thread that is developing.

Some of this post makes sense. Bringing abortion into this discussion does not.

You realize the parents raising this generation of kids were raised by parents from the previous generation right? If nostalgic times were so preferable, the why did it lead to this?

You are probably right ChrisL68, I sometimes think that earlier generations were taught to be responsible for their actions and don't always be "a victim". I think some of these kids are taught that nothing is their fault and the world is sometimes out to get them. I know i don't have the answers either, but dammit , sometimes kids need to be taught if their situation is that bad they need to pick themselves up and change it!

I often wonder why all of the "open-minded" individuals on this board are so quick to throw stones when someone doesn't agree with their ideas.

You joined a month ago, so I would say you're perceptive, but what's the difference between throwing stones and disagreeing with somebody's argument?

Most of the great leaders of this world had enough wisdom to know they didn't have all the answers but obviously some of you do.

There is some great compromise at play between those like Arlington who have well-constructed arguments in play for tight gun restriction, and elkman and leftcoast who argue for gun ownership rights. There is plenty of middle ground and compromise present here. What's irrelevant is your mention of world leaders. Because we are just message board posters.

You can't argue legitametly that this world has not gotten better with age.

I thought you were making that exact argument in your previous post, that we are in an age of moral decline?

I wonder why a lot of these kids are usually described as intelligent from a middle to upper class family but are usually withdrawn or loners. There seems to be a common thread that is developing.

I'm not sure about the economics of the situation, but I will say lonerism makes sense, being linked with mental illness. The common thread also follows one denominator: guns.

Responses.

I don't know why ideals are sometimes lost generation to generation. i myself am guilty of taking the "wanting better for my kids" ideal to the extreme and making things a little to easy for them.

You are probably right ChrisL68, I sometimes think that earlier generations were taught to be responsible for their actions and don't always be "a victim". I think some of these kids are taught that nothing is their fault and the world is sometimes out to get them. I know i don't have the answers either, but dammit , sometimes kids need to be taught if their situation is that bad they need to pick themselves up and change it!

Yea, that's definitely true. I notice that Americans my age (28) are more quick to get defensive, find someone or something to blame, instead of just taking responsibility in their life. We've become a nation of "victims" to some extent by thinking the world is against us. This goes along to how entitled the younger generations act these days. It irritates even me seeing my peers get away with whiny bullshit instead of acting like adults.

My parents taught my sister and I that life isn't fair and bad things happen to good people, but we're all this world together and have to make the best of it.

It's this sort of morally abstract rhetoric that does absolutely nothing for legislation against gun violence. Say whatever you will about the decline of the American family. Blame it on bad parenting, blame it on television, on drugs, on the welfare state, blame it on food stamps, and Obama raising taxes on the upper class. Blame it on abortion. Fine, but your army of straw men are just a distraction away from gun violence. And not the kind of gun violence that leads to school shootings. I'm talking about gun violence on the streets of America every day. Gang violence, domestic violence, violence of all sorts. We haven't gotten more evil as a society, but we have proliferated gun sales.

Back