• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

Colombia is considered to have "restrictive" gun laws. Where ate they on the safest country list? Rwanda is also extremely restrictive. Somalia? Restrictive.

I could list many others but I think my point is clear.

Would you consider those countries comparable to the US on any public policy statistics?

Colombia is considered to have "restrictive" gun laws. Where ate they on the safest country list? Rwanda is also extremely restrictive. Somalia? Restrictive.

Seriously dude, Rwanda and Colombia vs. Connecticut...

Interesting you bring up Colombia. Bogota started a city ban on firearms at the beginning of the year. Firearm related deaths are down 58% since then and the overall murder rate is down 21% http://www.caracol.com.co/noticias/...n-un-44-por-ciento/20120910/nota/1758917.aspx

Those 3 are also current or very recent war zones, which might have something to do with the violence.

Seriously dude, Rwanda and Colombia vs. Connecticut...

I was obviously going for hyperbole, but you also cannot compare the US to those 5 countries either.

As for comparing this 5 countries and this incident, norway had a shooting last year with 69 deaths and 110 injured (the low estimate).

I was obviously going for hyperbole, but you also cannot compare the US to those 5 countries either.

As for comparing this 5 countries and this incident, norway had a shooting last year with 69 deaths and 110 injured (the low estimate).

We have had at least 8 in the last 12 months.

what the fuck. there are three pages of people blaming this on video games. One game, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, sold over 11 Million units in its first week on the market. One fucking game. Did 11 million people go shoot up elementary schools?

This is about one simple concept: mental illness plus guns. mental illness can result in violence. If that violence is fists or knives, the carnage is limited. If it is guns, a lot of people die. It is not about video games. or not praying enough in school.

the gun lobby has pretty much won in this country. even the most liberal democrats are afraid to call for bans on handguns or semiautomatic rifles. Fine. Can we at least find some funding to identify and treat crazy people before they get hold of some of the 300 million guns already in private hands in the US and kill people? How is it that the country that spends more on "defense" than the next 10 or 15 countries combined can't even defend a class of kindergartners? BECAUSE OF FUCKING VIDEO GAMES? Is that really the best answer you can come up with?

what the fuck. there are three pages of people blaming this on video games. One game, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, sold over 11 Million units in its first week on the market. One fucking game. Did 11 million people go shoot up elementary schools?

This is about one simple concept: mental illness plus guns. mental illness can result in violence. If that violence is fists or knives, the carnage is limited. If it is guns, a lot of people die. It is not about video games. or not praying enough in school.

the gun lobby has pretty much won in this country. even the most liberal democrats are afraid to call for bans on handguns or semiautomatic rifles. Fine. Can we at least find some funding to identify and treat crazy people before they get hold of some of the 300 million guns already in private hands in the US and kill people? How is it that the country that spends more on "defense" than the next 10 or 15 countries combined can't even defend a class of kindergartners? BECAUSE OF FUCKING VIDEO GAMES? Is that really the best answer you can come up with?

$100 for every gun turned in. Straight up cash. that is at most 3 billion which equals our interest payments for one fucking day.

I'm still waiting for any person to come up with a legitimate reason why non-federally licensed dealer should be allowed to sell guns at gun shows without background to anyone who has enough cash.

Because you can't (at least not in North Carolina). To my knowledge, the the laws at a gun show are the same as in a store. You can't buy a handgun (AR-15s fall under the same rules) without a pistol permit or a concealed carry permit, which must come from the local sheriff after a background check. There's no such "gun show loophole" in this state. If private sellers are selling guns without a PP or CCW, then they are breaking existing laws. No more laws are necessary here.

Gun shows are a terrible place to buy a gun anyway. The prices are too high and the service is lousy. Gun stores are much easier to deal with or buy online and ship to a dealer.

$100 for every gun turned in. Straight up cash. that is at most 3 billion which equals our interest payments for one fucking day.

Mine cost a lot more than that. I demand more to turn mine in.

I'm talking about the people who would turn in a 9mm for a hundred bucks, not your musket from Gettysburg.

Voluntary transaction, you can claim it is like a piece of art (inherent value), but it's your choice to sell it for that price or not.

Last edited:

I saw an interesting story about a year ago where a local gun group in Illinois gathered up all their broken pieces of crap guns, ones that wouldn't work or in bad shape and basically worthless and took them up to Chicago for one of their gun buybacks. Then they took the money and bought brand new guns to use in their training camp.

If I had any not worth much, I would do that.

Let's consider the contrapositive then, since your point is not at all clear to me. Are you suggesting gun control has no correlation with safety whatsoever? Are you furthermore suggesting gun proliferation prevents or protects against gun violence?

Because I'm fucking sick of these ridiculous arguments. Oh thank God Nancy Lanza had a personal arsenal for her protection or she might not be alive today.

It always comes back this this reductio ad absurdum position. You can't take my guns, they keep me safe from people with guns. You follow the categorical imperative there and you end up blaming kindergardeners for not arming themselves. How about we take away guns so you won't need guns for protection against guns?

I understand deproliferation is a long, complicated, nuanced process that isn't as simple as some would portray it. I totally get that. And I have a great respect for responsible gun owners, both those who hunt, and those who own for personal protection purposes. I completely understand the defensive impulse in this situation. It's simply time to begin the discussion about gun restrictions in this country.

I saw an interesting story about a year ago where a local gun group in Illinois gathered up all their broken pieces of crap guns, ones that wouldn't work or in bad shape and basically worthless and took them up to Chicago for one of their gun buybacks. Then they took the money and bought brand new guns to use in their training camp.

If I had any not worth much, I would do that.

Good. Then your new purchase can be registered like a car, and we have fewer guns on the streets. Win, win.

Whenever these shootings happen (which is far too frequently), people come out and are like "lol harsher gun control wouldn't stop shit!" Well, seems like whatever we have in place ain't working out so well. Maybe we could try something different?

Why can guns be purchased at gun shows, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc..., yet I can't buy liquor anywhere that's not an ABC store?

Let's consider the contrapositive then, since your point is not at all clear to me. Are you suggesting gun control has no correlation with safety whatsoever? Are you furthermore suggesting gun proliferation prevents or protects against gun violence?

Because I'm fucking sick of these ridiculous arguments. Oh thank God Nancy Lanza had a personal arsenal for her protection or she might not be alive today.

It always comes back this this reductio ad absurdum position. You can't take my guns, they keep me safe from people with guns. You follow the categorical imperative there and you end up blaming kindergardeners for not arming themselves. How about we take away guns so you won't need guns for protection against guns?

I understand deproliferation is a long, complicated, nuanced process that isn't as simple as some would portray it. I totally get that. And I have a great respect for responsible gun owners, both those who hunt, and those who own for personal protection purposes. I completely understand the defensive impulse in this situation. It's simply time to begin the discussion about gun restrictions in this country.

No. My entire point is you can't dumb this down to "the five safest countries have gun control." I think it's a simplified argument that that ignores many more factors of the safety of a nation, of which gun control is but one. It's a knee jerk reaction that ignores a lot of other problems the US has on top of access to guns.

Back