• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

The games are a much bigger problem. They should pull all first person shooter games immediately. Everyone of these murderers played these games. These people are always guys. (Girls don't generally play FPS games). Of course Im sure there is support for games like "School Shooter, North American Tour 2012" under freedom of speech or expression.

Last edited:
would it really be that hard to get them back? the people who have legal ones are all registered somewhere - give them 30 days to return them (let the gov't reimburse them in some capacity financially) and make the penalties extremely harsh for anyone who is later found to have one, including several years of mandatory jail time and crippling fines.

i am completely fine with a complete gun ban. i am tired of these stories, and have no respect for the people who think they need a gun to defend themselves against hypothetical gun-wielding burglars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp069Y_P-9M

By the way, had the congress not pussied out when the assault weapons ban came up for renewal, the Bushmaster would not have been able to have been sold in the US.

The games are a much bigger problem. They should pull all first person shooter games immediately. Everyone of these murderers played these games. These people are always guys. (Girls don't generally play FPS games). Of course Im sure there is support for games like "School Shooter, North American Tour 2012" under freedom of speech or expression.

Owning a gun is a right, but playing a video game is bad?

Owning a gun is a right, but playing a video game is bad?

I know Im an evil conservative but yes I think playing a game in which you shoot your principal, teachers and fellow students is bad. I guess I'm just not as "enlightened" as some of you. Why don't you buy it for your kids for Christmas?

I just saw an interesting tweet. It said, "One man tried to blow up a plane with a bomb in his shoes and immediately we all had to take off our shoes before boarding a plane. There have been 31 school shootings since Columbine and we have yet to change any gun laws."

Is it possible that some of those poor helpless children might have been saved if some people inside the school had weapons with which to protect the kids from lunatics? There are some reports that the principal and maybe others tried to stop the derranged kid but were shot dead. If these brave people had been armed, pehaps they could have ended whatever torment the shooter was experiencing before he took so many innocent lives.

Even lunatics who commit this kind of atrocity realize that the jig is up when deadly force arrives, whether that be in the form of the police after everyone is already dead, or in the form of one or more sane, law abiding citizens trained by the NRA in self defense. Whether or not it would have made a difference in this particular case, removing the freedom of a peaceful, mentally competent person to defend themselves as a knee jerk reaction to tragedy would, as removing freedom almost always does, make the situation worse.

Now everybody send me as many negreps as you can.

Is it possible that some of those poor helpless children might have been saved if some people inside the school had weapons with which to protect the kids from lunatics? There are some reports that the principal and maybe others tried to stop the derranged kid but were shot dead. If these brave people had been armed, pehaps they could have ended whatever torment the shooter was experiencing before he took so many innocent lives.

Even lunatics who commit this kind of atrocity realize that the jig is up when deadly force arrives, whether that be in the form of the police after everyone is already dead, or in the form of one or more sane, law abiding citizens trained by the NRA in self defense. Whether or not it would have made a difference in this particular case, removing the freedom of a peaceful, mentally competent person to defend themselves as a knee jerk reaction to tragedy would, as removing freedom almost always does, make the situation worse.

I think it is much more likely that a child accidentally shoots themselves than armed teachers are a deterrent to this, but I am willing to have that conversation.

All the statistics point to more guns = more gun violence. The same video games are played all over the world. This isn't happening anywhere else like it is in America. Maybe Americans are not able to handle the stimuli of violet media. Let's have the conversation. I think it is more like that the sheer volume of guns in the US are more the problem than Americans are just flawed at a genetic level. If it's the latter, God help is all.

I think it is much more likely that a child accidentally shoots themselves than armed teachers are a deterrent to this, but I am willing to have that conversation.

All the statistics point to more guns = more gun violence. The same video games are played all over the world. This isn't happening anywhere else like it is in America. Maybe Americans are not able to handle the stimuli of violet media. Let's have the conversation. I think it is more like that the sheer volume of guns in the US are more the problem than Americans are just flawed at a genetic level. If it's the latter, God help is all.

Nope, the solution is MOAR GUNS. Guns everywhere.

You know, if we weren't such communists we'd have already trained these kindergartners on how to shoot and they'd have all been strapped.

Excellent point.

I'm pretty sure the constitution doesn't give us the right to play video games.

How could those idiots not account for electricity in the constitution?

I won't negrep you because you're trying to make an argument. Unfortunately, it's a tired, facile argument. And if you follow it to its logical conclusion, it would make us a nation of trained gunmen. Perhaps that's your notion of a free society, but it isn't mine.

I just saw an interesting tweet. It said, "One man tried to blow up a plane with a bomb in his shoes and immediately we all had to take off our shoes before boarding a plane. There have been 31 school shootings since Columbine and we have yet to change any gun laws."

lawyers, guns and money

I do think violence in the media and in video games can be problematic. Especially to a troubled or impressionable mind. For crying out loud, we use some of these first person shooter games in our own military.

Now, that being said, our video games aren't even close to the violence of Japanese games, and something similar could be said about Japanese film. And on top of that, mental illness is more tabooed there than it is here.

However, access to guns is much more restricted there than here.

Examples like these are available all over the world.

Most Police have to go through a long series of tests which include mental evaluation to get their badge so why is this not the case for civilians!?
(this has probably been posted ) What kind of weapons did we have when we drafted the constitution?!?!
God bless the Constitution but we are still using a document from 1787 to run a country in 2012! I think even our forefathers would laugh at that concept....

Back