• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

Violent video games and hunt 'em down/shoot 'em/blow 'em up movies feed this sickness to our kids. How do you participate in the making of a game/movie like that at any level and not feel some crisis of conscience? And then the parents that encourage their kids to watch? Sad to think how much $$$ will be spent on that this Christmas (birthday of the Prince of Peace no less).
He weeps.

Ha! When the government starts running out of money and looks for easier ways to acquire (and spend) it, where do you think they're going to look? Millionaires today, your IRAs and 401(k)s tomorrow. The citizens may ultimately lose that war, but the hell if we won't take out a couple politicians with us.

... I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.

Ha! When the government starts running out of money and looks for easier ways to acquire (and spend) it, where do you think they're going to look? Millionaires today, your IRAs and 401(k)s tomorrow. The citizens may ultimately lose that war, but the hell if we won't take out a couple politicians with us.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

murders with guns by country-mexico does seem low

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

VIEW DATA: Totals
Definition Source Printable version
Bar Graph Pie Chart Map

Showing latest available data.
Rank Countries Amount
# 1 South Africa: 31,918
# 2 Colombia: 21,898
# 3 Thailand: 20,032
# 4 United States: 9,369
# 5 Philippines: 7,708
# 6 Mexico: 2,606
# 7 Slovakia: 2,356
# 8 El Salvador: 1,441
# 9 Zimbabwe: 598
# 10 Peru: 442
# 11 Germany: 269
# 12 Czech Republic: 181
# 13 Ukraine: 173
# 14 Canada: 144
# 15 Albania: 135
# 16 Costa Rica: 131
# 17 Azerbaijan: 120
# 18 Poland: 111
# 19 Uruguay: 109
# 20 Spain: 97
# 21 Portugal: 90
# 22 Croatia: 76
# 23 Switzerland: 68
# 24 Bulgaria: 63
# 25 Australia: 59
# 26 Sweden: 58
# 27 Bolivia: 52
# 28 Japan: 47
# 29 Slovenia: 39
= 30 Belarus: 38
= 30 Hungary: 38
# 32 Latvia: 28
# 33 Burma: 27
# 34 Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of: 26
# 35 Austria: 25
# 36 Estonia: 21
# 37 Moldova: 20
# 38 Lithuania: 16
= 39 United Kingdom: 14
= 39 Denmark: 14
# 41 Ireland: 12
# 42 New Zealand: 10
# 43 Chile: 9
# 44 Cyprus: 4
# 45 Morocco: 1
= 46 Oman: 0
= 46 Luxembourg: 0
= 46 Iceland: 0
Crime in Iceland

Total: 100,693

Violent video games and hunt 'em down/shoot 'em/blow 'em up movies feed this sickness to our kids. How do you participate in the making of a game/movie like that at any level and not feel some crisis of conscience? And then the parents that encourage their kids to watch? Sad to think how much $$$ will be spent on that this Christmas (birthday of the Prince of Peace no less).

I have probably virtually killed or beat up several thousand people and untold additional aliens and zombies in video games, and watched a million more violent acts in movies and TV shows, and yet I have no desire to shoot up a school. Many, many studies have found no correlation between violent video games and school shootings. But if it makes you feel better to blame this on video games, go right ahead.

I have probably virtually killed or beat up several thousand people and untold additional aliens and zombies in video games, and watched a million more violent acts in movies and TV shows, and yet I have no desire to shoot up a school. Many, many studies have found no correlation between violent video games and school shootings. But if it makes you feel better to blame this on video games, go right ahead.

You could make the same argument about guns. I don't think any of these things (guns, video games, movies, etc.) are the problem, but I think they collectively exacerbate the problem. I think mental health is the problem, but if limiting or regulating access to firearms and stimuli that trigger these types of episodes helps, then let's do that.

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing. WTF?

Great post Wrangor.

Also, how do you counter the argument that someone might make that a gun helps to keep them safe? For example, if they told you they needed handguns in case they get robbed or their house gets broken into? Just curious, thanks.

Guns are a problem. But the ultimate problem is us: we kill babies for personal convenience and we entertain ourselves by watching or perpetrating imaginary violence. There is a common desensitization as to the value of life. Therefore it becomes more thinkable to execute mayhem when we are filled with anger and self-pity. This makes access to weapons are problem. Yet, people not inclined to such violent acts need protection from those who are. Thus there is a serious argument in behalf or gun possession.

Denying access to guns or controlling access to guns (as needed as that may be) will not resolve our bent toward violence.

Good luck on repealing the Second Amendment, suckers.

Yes.

The Second Amendment gives us the right to bear arms.

Right. Just like the first amendment give us the right to free speech. And as with the first and second amendment, there is plenty of legal precedent that allows the government to regulate the manner in which these rights are exercised. The government can ban certain types of weapons and reglate the manner in which individuals obtain them, just like it can regulate the timing and location of protests to protect the common good.

Moron.

Denying access to guns or controlling access to guns (as needed as that may be) will not resolve our bent toward violence.

But it would resolve the permanent consequences of that bent towards violence.

There was an attack at an elementary school in China today. 23 children were attacked with a knife. No one died.

You can't stop senseless violence. You CAN stop gun violence.

Guns are a problem. But the ultimate problem is us: we kill babies for personal convenience and we entertain ourselves by watching or perpetrating imaginary violence. There is a common desensitization as to the value of life. Therefore it becomes more thinkable to execute mayhem when we are filled with anger and self-pity. This makes access to weapons are problem. Yet, people not inclined to such violent acts need protection from those who are. Thus there is a serious argument in behalf or gun possession.

I can hear your societal argument. I have my doubts that an early twenties male was driven to mass murder by our perspective on abortion. Considering females are making the decisions, and males are committing these crimes, I don't see your connection.

I can hear your societal argument. I have my doubts that an early twenties male was driven to mass murder by our perspective on abortion. Considering females are making the decisions, and males are committing these crimes, I don't see your connection.

European kids seem to handling the psychological effects of access to abortion okay.

Back