• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

I can hear your societal argument. I have my doubts that an early twenties male was driven to mass murder by our perspective on abortion. Considering females are making the decisions, and males are committing these crimes, I don't see your connection.

The connection is a general, a pervasive mind-set. The knowledge that we accept killing on a certain level involving personal decision and preference is transferred to accommodate individual anger or self-pity.

Violent video games and hunt 'em down/shoot 'em/blow 'em up movies feed this sickness to our kids. How do you participate in the making of a game/movie like that at any level and not feel some crisis of conscience? And then the parents that encourage their kids to watch? Sad to think how much $$$ will be spent on that this Christmas (birthday of the Prince of Peace no less).
He weeps.

I agree with this. My belief is that people (and kids especially) become de-sensitized to violence by the constant, pervasive prevalence of it in popular culture. We're in the process of moving right now and we've had to stay with my in-laws for the last few weeks until we close on our new house. Between my mother-in-law having a running showing of the latest NCIS/The Mentalist/Law and Order murder marathon to my brother-in-law constantly playing the new Call of Duty Black Ops game in the other room, I have almost no place in the house to take my four year old to get her away from that stuff.

I also happen to represent a local hospital with respect to involuntary committment proceedings that are held weekly. North Carolina law requires hearings to be held for people that are involuntarily committed, and a judge can be ordered that they be held for up to 30 days of inpatient treatment. That floor of the hospital is constantly full, with people coming in and going out every day. When they testify about the visions they have and the voices they hear, it can be really chilling to think about how often they end up back on the street.

But it would resolve the permanent consequences of that bent towards violence.

There was an attack at an elementary school in China today. 23 children were attacked with a knife. No one died.

You can't stop senseless violence. You CAN stop gun violence.

I believe that is a valid point.

The connection is a general, a pervasive mind-set. The knowledge that we accept killing on a certain level involving personal decision and preference is transferred to accommodate individual anger or self-pity.

Any evidence to back this one up or is this just Jesus talking?

For crying out loud abortion has nothing to do with this. Abortion is illegal in a handful of countries around the world, mostly in Africa and Middle Eastern countries. America's stance on abortion is the same as the majority of the world... yet we are exceptional when it comes to things like this.

Any evidence to back this one up or is this just Jesus talking?

Check the statistics for violent crime and murder in the years following the legalization of abortion and compare with the years preceding. Abortion is not the only factor but rather is a component in a general decline in the way human life is valued.

Great post Wrangor.

Also, how do you counter the argument that someone might make that a gun helps to keep them safe? For example, if they told you they needed handguns in case they get robbed or their house gets broken into? Just curious, thanks.

I think a lot of that defensive concern goes away with some sense of confidence that the "bad guys" don't have guns either (especially if shotguns are still able to be permitted). I am a gun owner for home protection reasons, but I would gladly turn in my gun if I was reasonably confident that other people didn't have them either.

Abortion is illegal in Colombia and they have even worse gun death numbers than us.

Last edited:
Check the statistics for violent crime and murder in the years following the legalization of abortion and compare with the years preceding. Abortion is not the only factor but rather is a component in a general decline in the way human life is valued.

It is scary that you are actually serious about this.

mebane = Mike Huckabee?

HUCKABEE: Ultimately, you can take away every gun in America and somebody will use a gun. When somebody has an intent to do incredible damage, they’re going to find a way to do it… People will want to pass new laws, but unless you change people’s hearts, they’re our transition to the pastor side. This is a heard issue, it’s not something, laws don’t change this kind of thing.
CAVUTO: How could God let this happen?
HUCKABEE: Well, you know, it’s an interesting thing. When we ask why there is violence in our schools, but we’ve systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools have become a place for carnage because we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, responsibility, accountability? That we’re not just going to have to be accountable to the police, if they catch us. But one day, we will stand in judgment before God. If we don’t believe that, we don’t fear that.

It is scary that you are actually serious about this.

Let me tell you what is scary: that there are people, perhaps you are one, who are appalled at the murder of these dear children today; but would have approved if the same children had been murdered 5 years ago in their mothers' wombs. It is scary that people can so rationalize evil as to accept the murder of children ever under any circumstances. That's what is scary.

mebane = Mike Huckabee?

HUCKABEE: Ultimately, you can take away every gun in America and somebody will use a gun. When somebody has an intent to do incredible damage, they’re going to find a way to do it… People will want to pass new laws, but unless you change people’s hearts, they’re our transition to the pastor side. This is a heard issue, it’s not something, laws don’t change this kind of thing.
CAVUTO: How could God let this happen?
HUCKABEE: Well, you know, it’s an interesting thing. When we ask why there is violence in our schools, but we’ve systematically removed God from our schools. Should we be so surprised that schools have become a place for carnage because we’ve made it a place where we don’t want to talk about eternity, life, responsibility, accountability? That we’re not just going to have to be accountable to the police, if they catch us. But one day, we will stand in judgment before God. If we don’t believe that, we don’t fear that.

I have less of a problem with his morality argument than I do with his assertion that God would someone support guns or his disconnect between guns designed to kill people and Biblical morality.

Let me tell you what is scary: that there are people, perhaps you are one, who are appalled at the murder of these dear children today; but would have approved if the same children had been murdered 5 years ago in their mothers' wombs. It is scary that people can so rationalize evil as to accept the murder of children ever under any circumstances. That's what is scary.

If this same guy shot 20 fetuses in the womb, I would be equally moved as I am today. I can empathize with your opinion on abortion, but I do not think they are one in the same.

Way to take advantage of an unrelated tragedy to push a personal agenda about abortion. Classy.

Way to take advantage of an unrelated tragedy to push a personal agenda about abortion. Classy.

That is not the case at all. However the accommodation of violent murder in one instance enables violent murder to become more thinkable across the board. That is the point. I rarely post on this board and I rarely post on abortion; however, the killing of children as happened today is sickening and one reminds me of the other.

I recognize that this point of view is hated here; but it was important to me to say it. I'm gone.

Back