• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

That is not the case at all. However the accommodation of violent murder in one instance enables violent murder to become more thinkable across the board. That is the point. I rarely post on this board and I rarely post on abortion; however, the killing of children as happened today is sickening and one reminds me of the other.

I recognize that this point of view is hated here; but it was important to me to say it. I'm gone.

Not sure that abortion is "violent" murder, even conceding the argument (which I don't) that it is murder.

That is not the case at all. However the accommodation of violent murder in one instance enables violent murder to become more thinkable across the board. That is the point. I rarely post on this board and I rarely post on abortion; however, the killing of children as happened today is sickening and one reminds me of the other.

I recognize that this point of view is hated here; but it was important to me to say it. I'm gone.

I think you are the only one that is reminded of that.

25095420.jpg

Mebane is being ridiculous. This isn't a discussion about abortion. Never was. Start your own abortion thread. Hell, start your own America is violent thread. This is about guns. It's about the weapons that were used today to execute children.

What's overly tragic to me is hoe much larger the gun lobby is than the mental health lobby. Sickening.

While we all know I have a somewhat parallel view to mebane this is not the time, place, or thread.

We need to effect change where and when we can. We need stricter gun laws. It is senseless not to have them. You can protect your home with manual loadin shotgun. In fact your chances of actually hitting something are a lot better with a shotgun than a handgun.

And there is no need to ever have anything semi-automatic.

Me, too....and also Deacvision7's post right after Wrangor's. I was going to posrep both of them, but was told I have given to much reputation and had to wait.

Both of those posts were dead-on. We don't need handguns in this country in almost all cases....and the numbers that DV7 cited from the UK prove that widespread availability of handguns inevitably leads to widespread handgun deaths.....and that eliminating handguns would drastically....drastically....slash the number of firearm deaths in this country. Why in the hell can't people understand this?

Why isn't everyone in Switzerland and Israel dead?

As I watch President Obama speak today, that looks like a man who is done with this violence. I actually think this might ignite some dialogue at the top.

BTW, I'm all for a thousand dollar tax on bullets if you'll go along with a thousand dollar tax on abortions. These courts would throw out both on the first day.

Why isn't everyone in Switzerland and Israel dead?

Because as others have indicated on this thread, guns are a component of this violence. They aren't the only component. You have to weigh it against our mental health taboo, and against a ton of other factors. Guns just happen to be the common denominator, one to be addressed. I'm all for frank discussion, but you're not offering it by bringing up outlying examples that defy an overall trend.

It's also dumb when people say that some of the tightest gun controlled places in America also have the highest crime rates. The causality almost certainly flows in the direction of more crime dictates harsher laws, not the other way around.

I should have posted this here.

With regards to gun control, I'm more and more convinced the ultimate issue is the proliferation of guns in this country. People tend to get their hands on them whether legally or illegally, but the sheer number of them has made it all too easy. Stricter gun control laws should serve primarily to make sure certain individuals don't acquire weapons legally, but also secondarily to slowly cut down on the quantity of firearms in this country.

Actually, I have been watching Fox News since I got off work. They have made a point of skirting the gun issue as far as I've seen so far.

The connection is a general, a pervasive mind-set. The knowledge that we accept killing on a certain level involving personal decision and preference is transferred to accommodate individual anger or self-pity.

dammit I think I accidentally pos repped you for this when I meant to neg rep you. This is the dumbest bullshit Ive read on here in awhile.

All I'm gonna say on this debate is that it was freaking disgusting what happened today. As a father of 3 kids ages 15 months, 5 and 7, I am very saddened by what happened today. I was gonna type a long winded response in about the gun debate but I will let you guys do that and I'll read and agree and or disagree. Something needs to change and and it's not just gun laws. I asked someone today how much worse can it get and I probably don't want to know the answer to that.

Last edited:
All I'm gonna say on this debate is that it was freaking disgusting what happened today. As a father of 3 kids ages 15 months, 5 and 7, I am very saddened by what happened today. I was gonna type a long winded response in about the gun debate but I will let you guys do that and I'll read and agree. Something needs to change and and it's not just gun laws. I asked someone today how much worse can it get and I probably don't want to know the answer to that.

well put

arlington's long post was great.

I mentioned it in another thread but one of the scariest realizations when I was younger was that the primary purposes of handguns and assault rifles are shooting and killing people. that's it. not hunting, not sport. they're made to kill other people.

I should have posted this here.

With regards to gun control, I'm more and more convinced the ultimate issue is the proliferation of guns in this country. People tend to get their hands on them whether legally or illegally, but the sheer number of them has made it all too easy. Stricter gun control laws should serve primarily to make sure certain individuals don't acquire weapons legally, but also secondarily to slowly cut down on the quantity of firearms in this country.

Yep, this exactly.

I don't own guns.
I've always been for gun ownership rights.
But I think anything semi-automatic is BS. We should be a nation of shotguns and revolvers, not assault rifles and clipped handguns.

Back