• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

Too bad Nostradamus wasn't one of the founding fathers...no way today ends with 27 deaths if this asshole is using a muzzle loader.

I had a conversation with a co-worker today who mentioned in his home state, all you basically have to do is write a check for the license and that's it...go buy a gun. It's not much different in this state.

Enough is enough. Let's have a real conversation about this in Congress...and I know this is wishful thinking, but let's do it without NRA lobbyists.

The people trying to link gun violence and abortions are fucking idiots. Seriously, fuck those guys.

Sent this letter in the W-S Journal tonight. Just some thoughts that came to me as I was running tonight.

December 14, 2012, a date which will live in infamy…the calendar of American history is filled with too many infamous remembrances. My generation has collected too many over the last three decades. Today the President stood behind the podium in the White House briefing room and lamented that “as a country, we have been through this too many times. Whether it’s an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theater in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago -- these neighborhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children. And we're going to have to come together and take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics.”
I do not pretend to have answers as to why the tragedy in Newtown happened, but I do know that the time has come to ask the questions. When incidents like this happen, we flood the public square with attempts at meaning. We do not endeavor to fix the problem. We cling to our beliefs, whatever side of the political spectrum, or we shout down the answers that we do not want to hear. I do not know if the solution to this problem is gun control, concealed carry permits, armed guards at our schools, or an intentional investment in mental health counseling, but I do know that it is time for the debate.
In an America defined by gridlock, we need to recognize that the safety of our children and our communities is the water’s edge. I cannot accept that a solution does not exist. I will not accept that a society that allows, or perhaps incubates, madness like the world witnessed in Newtown is as good as we can do. I refuse to accept that the execution of twenty innocent children is simply the unavoidable reality of a broken humanity. I believe that America feels the same way. After the events of September 11, the defining event of my generation, President Bush declared, “our country is strong. A great people has been moved to defend a great nation.” We did what we had to do to ensure that we would not relive the tragedy of that day. We have relived tragic events like those in Newtown too many times. We deserve better than that, and we must demand better.
Mr. Rogers once offered the following story as advice for dealing with tragedy: "When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." It is our time to be helpers. Flood Washington with letters. Demand your voice be heard. Whatever your opinion on the issue, demand that we undertake the rigorous debate that this issue deserves. No more parents should be forced to bury their children because our heads were buried in the sand.

I had a conversation with a co-worker today who mentioned in his home state, all you basically have to do is write a check for the license and that's it...go buy a gun. It's not much different in this state.

Enough is enough. Let's have a real conversation about this in Congress...and I know this is wishful thinking, but let's do it without NRA lobbyists.

It's simply not true. There's no way to make a legal firearm purchase without a background check. Now if you want to debate the effectiveness of instant background checks and the paperwork for completing a purchase, that's great, but lets be honest about the requirements. Painting the argument with falsehoods won't do either side any good.

We must end gun shows that allow any sales. No person of good conscience can justify their existence in our country. Any crazy, any felon, any member of a terrorist group can simply go there pluck down some money and buy any weapon or weapons that a "private seller" wishes to offer.

In no way does doing this infringe on anyone's ability to keep and bear arms. However they do allow people who can't buy guns anywhere else to buy them.

It's simply not true. There's no way to make a legal firearm purchase without a background check. Now if you want to debate the effectiveness of instant background checks and the paperwork for completing a purchase, that's great, but lets be honest about the requirements. Painting the argument with falsehoods won't do either side any good.

It's perfectly legal to sell a gun at a gun show without any form of check from a "private seller".

I am for gun control but I cannot support a national gun ban at all. I am not paranoid of the Gov coming in and taking everything I have but do feel that criminals will always have access to guns.
Something has to give and Obama still continues to fail in the gun control category....(sorry to correct the RW scare tactics)

If guns are illegal, criminals would not have more access to guns. They'd likely have far less access, for a variety of factors, mostly economic, as I posted on page four.

Guns are too easy to get and there are too many sick people in America now. We're devolving.

Agree with those saying we need stronger gun laws and more access to mental health. It seems like mental health issues are becoming more and more common. I don't think anyone could really argue that the government can and should outlaw all guns though. That isn't even remotely a possibility and if for some reason if it was, the outrage would be on a grand scale. Everyone and their grandmas would be going out left and right buying as many as they could fit into a shopping cart.

Horrible tragedy, I think the mental health issue is what needs more cause for concern. I know that this is a difficult thing to spot or detect but I hope that in the future we are able to understand these issues more deeply. It could potentially save people's lives and for some allow them to live a regular life (referring to the psycho).

Very sad though, I hate to hear stories like this as does anyone with a soul. My thoughts and prayers are with those families.

We must end gun shows that allow any sales. No person of good conscience can justify their existence in our country. Any crazy, any felon, any member of a terrorist group can simply go there pluck down some money and buy any weapon or weapons that a "private seller" wishes to offer.

In no way does doing this infringe on anyone's ability to keep and bear arms. However they do allow people who can't buy guns anywhere else to buy them.

It's perfectly legal to sell a gun at a gun show without any form of check from a "private seller".

You are right, private sales are problematic at best. I should know better since I like to go to gun shows. The private market isn't as strong as you might think. I don't support banning gun shows that allow sales, but I would get on board with outlawing private sells at a gun show. Dealers still call the sale in, only private sellers can get around doing a background check.

Here's an idea. If people just can't bring themselves to pass any laws to keep guns out of the hands of psychos, how about we defund the TSAs security theater budget and take 25% of the defense budget and use the cash to post a heavily armed security force and secure perimeter at every school. That way instead of pissing that money away on imaginary threats we would be using it to protect our children from actual danger.

We should close gun show loopholes and the like, but background checks would not stop crimes like these. The killers never have criminal backgrounds... Which is the scariest part of all.

Sent from my iPhone

Back