• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gun Control Laws

Nothing will convince you, I realize that. Fortunately, I doubt that Americans will completely give up their right to defend themselves with firearms any time soon. Any bill like that of DiFi will be easily circumvented. It will be shown a few years from now that it made no impact, just like the last one made no impact. Excuses will be made, of course, and we will continue to ignore the real problem of mass shooters: lunacy.

So Americans are just disproportionately crazy relative to similar countries? Makes sense. Sorry I can't be convinced that common sense gun regulations (like we have for cars) will have no impact.

I teach high school, as does my wife. You are not going to get armed guards come January 2 and have them be effective. Where does the money come from? Since the NRA wants this so bad, why don't they donate a hefty sum each year to paying for it?

Other questions to be answered: Who is going to be chosen for these guards? How many are assigned to each school? Do they stand guard at every door or hallway? My school has at least 15 points of entry. The doors are locked during the day, but we know that only does so much. If we go the guard route, it will take time to create a plan of action for responding to these events. What prevents a student from sneaking the gun in and waiting til he/she gets in the classroom? Do we install metal detectors at every school?

I do know that our principals and county staff are reviewing all our lockdown drills; take that for what it is worth as I don't know what the end result will be. And I'm not saying it can't be done, but this is not as simple as the NRA wants it to be. So what is going to keep your kids safe? I don't have a good answer for you. All I know is as a teacher I will go back to school on the 2nd feeling just as safe as I did when we got out Thursday for break.

Thank you for your input. Just a frustrating issue no matter how you look at it.

I don't own a gun. I don't like them. That's just me. I would like to see assault rifles banned. I don't like armor piercing bullets. There should be rigorous background checks and a waiting period before one takes ownership. It should be required by law that anyone operating "these" technologies be required to attend a sanctioned training seminar. Yes, I would seek the NRA out to provide just such training. I have encountered many thoughtful and well rounded gun enthusiasts who recognize that the inherrent feature with the technology of a gun is, "to kill something". The vast majority are not "nuts" and have great respect for the devices.

In saying this I understand the "cat-calls" of Nanny State! But this requires that we join our state and private forces to make a statement about our society. A simple "we just don't do that here" and we make it a public service campaign and we include the NRA in the education of people wishing to exercise a constitutional right. * I understand the extraordinary difficulty in keeping these out of the hands of bad guys. That notwithstanding, I think our government
should stand up for it's citizens and even if for purely psychological reasons let our citizens hear : " We don't like it. We don't condone it". I do not want to harm those who take their 2nd ammendment rights seriously and with respect. This encapsulates the vast majority of people I meet and (often suprisingly) learn of their thoughts behind gun ownership. They are not the gross caricatures they are often portrayed as...

That's #1

Great post.

The only purpose of armor piercing bullets is to kill cops. Don't say they should be available because maybe one in a million times they are used, it's to bring down a crook.

Back