• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

No argument here. The best thing about Mr. [Redacted] is that it's an absolute no-brainer for the next (competent) AD to fire him. My biggest fear is that Wellman will latch onto some Greenburg-caliber coach who mires us in mediocrity for several more years while the new AD gives him a chance to prove himself.

Yep. That should be the biggest fear.

It would be a massive fail to sign Capel.

He was 27-36 his last two years at Oklahoma.

Last edited:
This is starting to get a little absurd. White has not lost since Apetit started this thread. LaTech is now 12-0 in the WAC, projected to win the conference with a 16-2 record. Projected as a 13 seed right now in the matrix.

Quick check on some of the other top mid-major coaching candidates...
Gregg Marshall has Wichita St in position to contend for the MVC title, and should comfortably earn an at-large bid. Dambrot continues to have absurd success at Akron, while Paulsen and Reed are neck-and-neck for the Patriot League title. Pikiell was upset yesterday, but Stony Brook is still in position to win the America East. Toole is still very much in contention for the Northeast championship. My man Holtmann is stuck in the middle of the Big South right now, and Banks is no longer leading the SWAC quite so convincingly.

It's time to stage a coup and install Apetit as AD.

srsly apetit for AD. who's with me?

Bump.

White still hasn't lost since this thread was created.

My boy's team is doing too well.

I'm afraid they are going to get overseeded and then lose in the first round, too. Although I guess I have no clue what Wellman's hiring criteria is.

Louisiana Tech will have a very tough final regular season game playing @Denver. @New Mexico St 2 days before isn't a walkover either.

I've really liked what Randy Bennett has done at St. Mary's. Seems to be some problems with how they recruit all of those kids from Australia. The hammer thus falleth...

The NCAA has placed Saint Mary's on four years of probation for a ''failure to monitor its men's basketball program,'' reducing scholarships after it says the perennial mid-major power committed several recruiting violations. A report by the NCAA Committee on Infractions released Friday found that Gaels coach Randy Bennett ''acted unethically in his recruitment of international prospects'' and ''failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance.'' Bennett will not be allowed to recruit off campus and will serve a five-game suspension next season.

Saint Mary's will still be allowed to participate in the West Coast Conference tournament and the NCAA tournament but can't play in preseason or in-season tournaments. The men's basketball program also will have a reduction in scholarships from 13 to 11 for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons and an elimination of all foreign tours until the start of the 2017-18 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-hits-saint-marys-recruiting-162049620--ncaab.html

Louisiana Tech will have a very tough final regular season game playing @Denver. @New Mexico St 2 days before isn't a walkover either.

True, I suppose at this point it's probably more likely they don't make the tourney than the other way around.

And this is why I'm sure this guy would take a nice job in the ACC.

If they win both they might have an at-large chance, however.

Would wonder if this guy would take another ACC job since his dad is Duke's AD. Still imagine it would be tough to pass up on barring having another offer from a major program

Seriously Wellman, pay the man. A 35 year-old up-and-comer is precisely what we need. Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

#AnyoneOverBuzz

Last edited:
La Tech's SOS is 244th. Best win thus far is home versus Denver. Maybe he is a future great, but wouldn't hand him the keys for next season.

I'd prefer better but I'm not sure who we would get. Bz will still be around so maybe next year.

At minimum, I just want the next hire to be objectively reasonable. That should be the first criterion. If Wellman's making the decision, it might as well be Tom Hodges because, as evidenced by the [Redacted] hire, I have negative faith in his ability to understand the values, culture, expectations, etc. that I (and most of you) consider to be the backbone of our hoops program.

With VCU being left in the remnants of the Atlantic 10 what are the chances Shaka is more willing to leave now?

Back