• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Sorry - didn't realize sleeper status was a requirement.

Just saw that the game was at Cincy to boot.

Alford is making more than [Redacted] right now (I believe), and is in the process of building a Gonzaga-level powerhouse in the Mountain West. He's also signed through 2020.

I just don't think there is much to 'track'.

Just like Stevens or Shaka:
-It would be awesome if we could get him
-He isn't a very realistic option

Alford is making more than [Redacted] right now (I believe), and is in the process of building a Gonzaga-level powerhouse in the Mountain West. He's also signed through 2020.

I just don't think there is much to 'track'.

Just like Stevens or Shaka:
-It would be awesome if we could get him
-He isn't a very realistic option

Being signed through 2020 is irrelevant. Contracts don't mean anything these days. There are always ways to get out of them. Alford wants to be in the big leagues. New Mexico will never be that.

The one negative about Alford is he just signed his son to play at NM.

Of the Big 3, Alford is the most likely to yes quickly.

Being signed through 2020 is irrelevant. Contracts don't mean anything these days. There are always ways to get out of them. Alford wants to be in the big leagues. New Mexico will never be that.

The one negative about Alford is he just signed his son to play at NM.

Of the Big 3, Alford is the most likely to yes quickly.

New Mexico was a 3 seed in 2010, a 5 seed in 2012, and on his way to another similar seed this year. They'll be ranked in the top 25 in a couple days. The Mountain West is a top 6 league now (you could argue MWC > ACC this season). I'd say that's the big leagues.

I would love to see some quotes from Alford supporting the bold. Otherwise its just standard RJ conjecture.

Of course the contract issue can be overcome. I just think its exceedingly unlikely that a guy signed through 2020 is going to leave a brilliantly positioned program to take over a team that is a complete mess.

There isn't much to discuss here. Alford would be a homerun hire, and we have virtually no chance at getting him (honestly, I would be flat-out shocked). To me, discussing names like Alford is living in fantasyland, and is only going to make you disappointed with who we actually hire.

1. Why would Alford want to come if he allegedly turned us down 3 years ago?

2. Alford didn't do so great the last time he was at the major conference level. Why would this time, at Wake, be any different?

3. You say he "wants to be in the big leagues." Why do you think he would want to leave a good situation for himself to return to the major level that he chose to leave just a few years ago?

1. Why would Alford want to come if he allegedly turned us down 3 years ago?
At that time IU and Crean were reeling. If he took our job, he would have been out of consideration for his dream job.

2. Alford didn't do so great the last time he was at the major conference level. Why would this time, at Wake, be any different?

He was at Iowa. That hasn't been a good place for many years and he really wanted the IU not Iowa job.

3. You say he "wants to be in the big leagues." Why do you think he would want to leave a good situation for himself to return to the major level that he chose to leave just a few years ago?

He understands he will never do better than he is now. Recruiting is severely limited at NM. Had NM been added to the PAC 12, he'd have no reason to leave.

As to Stonz, he's exhibiting LOWF thinking.

He's actually just exhibiting the reality of today's college basketball landscape. Some of you appear to be on course for a rude awakening when Bzz gets fired

None of these guys would ever work for Wellman. Seriously, why would they?

He's actually just exhibiting the reality of today's college basketball landscape. Some of you appear to be on course for a rude awakening when Bzz gets fired

Agreed. We are not even going to be able to get a Gottfried-caliber coach when it is all said and done. Wellman done screwed this one up real good...

Sleeper Coach Tracker: 12/30
-Michael White (#100 La Tech): W 68-60 vs #85 Denver. Moved up 6 spots in KenPom. LaTech led pretty much the whole game. Huge win, as Denver is one of the top contenders in the WAC. Now projected 22-9 (12-6), T1 in the WAC.

-Ben Jacobson (#76 Northern Iowa): Next game: Today @ #25 Wichita St (-9)
-Chris Holtmann (#148 Gardner Webb): Next game: Saturday @ #279 Campbell (+4)
-Andrew Toole (#120 Robert Morris): Next game: Thursday vs #231 Bryant (+10)

Sleeper Coach Tracker: 12/30
-Michael White (#100 La Tech): W 68-60 vs #85 Denver. Moved up 6 spots in KenPom. LaTech led pretty much the whole game. Huge win, as Denver is one of the top contenders in the WAC. Now projected 22-9 (12-6), T1 in the WAC.

-Ben Jacobson (#76 Northern Iowa): Next game: Today @ #25 Wichita St (-9)
-Chris Holtmann (#148 Gardner Webb): Next game: Saturday @ #279 Campbell (+4)
-Andrew Toole (#120 Robert Morris): Next game: Thursday vs #231 Bryant (+10)

I know pretty much nothing about any of these coaches but would be thrilled with any one of them over [Redacted].

If we sign any of those guys, expect another two years before we get good. That's assuming that we get Mitchell and they find a big by then.

No kids have ever heard of them. Sorry, we don't have that luxury now.

Shaka please.....they will cost almost the same.

If not Shaka, Alford.

If we sign any of those guys, expect another two years before we get good. That's assuming that we get Mitchell and they find a big by then.

No kids have ever heard of them. Sorry, we don't have that luxury now.

If you're looking for someone the kids know as you put it then you're going for an assistant at a big program

Shaka please.....they will cost almost the same.

If not Shaka, Alford.

You are on a collision course with a big ol' bucket filled with crushing disappointment. The ACC is not the league it was, Wake is not the job it was, the upgrade in pay is not what it was, and the relative increase in prestige vis-a-vis a mid-major coaching job is not what it was. You really need to accept the fact that we simply are not going to get an Alford, Stevens, Smart, etc. as our next head coach.

Back