• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

IAppreciateIt

no bunting allowed
Reaction score
What we missed in John Groce, we will partially make up for with Michael White.

White,Michael_120308_MS.jpg

Michael White (Wikipedia)

Mike White is in his 2nd year as head coach at Louisiana Tech after spending 7 years as an assistant at his alma mater Ole Miss. He is the son of Duke AD Kevin White. He makes $225k.

LT kenpom ranks since Paul Millsap graduated:

2013 108
2012 183

2011 252
2010 128
2009 145
2008 315
2007 189

In addition to their relative success, this year's squad is actually fairly inexperienced (#227 in the country per kenpom) with only a moderate contribution coming from their lone senior -- i.e. even as they stand now, they are set up to be better next year, and probably the following year as well. The cherry on top is the exciting, up-tempo brand of basketball White plays. LT is ranked 18 in adjusted tempo this season.

Of tantamount importance is White's reputation as a recruiter while an assistant at Ole Miss (and even prior to that, when he began his career as a recruiting coordinator for Jacksonville State).

White was named a finalist for BasketballScoop.com's 2009 Coaches Award, honoring the top assistants in the college game, when he helped Ole Miss to a winning record despite a rash of injuries to key players.

A key figure in the recruiting arena, White has helped Ole Miss haul in some of the best signing classes in program history during his tenure. The incoming class in his first season back was ranked as high as third in college basketball by recruiting publications, while two recent classes have both been rated top 25 in the country.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/37586/new-faces-new-places-michael-white

“I love the game, I bring passion to the game and I feel fortunate to lead a program period,’’ White said. “It starts with recruiting. The most important part is evaluating and you have to make great evaluations. We’ve got as strong a base as any. We just have to take the right guy and knock down one or two a year. People can complain all they want about the disadvantages of traveling out West [as a member of the WAC], but we have the same homecourt advantage as well.’’

1247rz9.jpg

You might want to wait for him to beat "Northwestern State" before you crown him The Messiah.

Would be curious to see if he has attended Villa 6/7 yet.

http://www.sportleadership.vcu.edu/villa7/index.html

If you've ever wondered how VCU has been so fortunate with their coaching selections, this is why. Norwood Teague is a smart AD.

I had never heard of it, but my boi was a speaker at this year's event and ostensibly has attended:

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050812aaa.html

Louisiana Tech men’s basketball coach Michael White will be one of the featured speakers at the 2012 Villa 7 Consortium, presented by Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and Nike.

The event takes place Wednesday and Thursday at the Nike Campus in Beaverton, Oregon where White will talk about his “First 100 Days” on the job.

“It’s an honor to have the opportunity to speak at such an esteemed event as Nike’s Villa 7,” said White. “The consortium has been very educational for me, and I look forward to giving back.”

I had never heard of it, but my boi was a speaker at this year's event and ostensibly has attended:

http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/050812aaa.html

Louisiana Tech men’s basketball coach Michael White will be one of the featured speakers at the 2012 Villa 7 Consortium, presented by Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) and Nike.

The event takes place Wednesday and Thursday at the Nike Campus in Beaverton, Oregon where White will talk about his “First 100 Days” on the job.

“It’s an honor to have the opportunity to speak at such an esteemed event as Nike’s Villa 7,” said White. “The consortium has been very educational for me, and I look forward to giving back.”

That is a good sign. A friend of mine attended a couple of those and said it was basically VCU's way of putting together 5 star assistants and keeping tabs on them.

Once you get past Shaka Smart, I'm afraid the list will contain a lot of names like this.

Someone could start a thread about a marginally successful 7th grade girls basketball coach and I'd get excited at the thought of him replacing Bzzz.

"People can complain all they want about the disadvantages of traveling out West [as a member of the WAC], but we have the same homecourt advantage as well.’’

I guess he hasn't heard about Tuesdays. I don't think Wellman is looking for a no excuses coach.

Has the stonz seal of approval.

Once you get past Shaka Smart, I'm afraid the list will contain a lot of names like this.

Appetit was way out in front on Groce tho... pegged him 2 years before he got a high major job and after just 2 years at Ohio.

A #WhiteIn movement might be problematic though.

John Pelphrey may be available again (Assistant at Florida now).

Last edited:
Back