• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Financial Planner in Winston-Salem

19deac92

You are a meathead.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for a financial planner in the Winston-Salem area with whom you have had a good experience?

You can give your $$ to me, I will invest it in The Human Fund: Money for the People.

(in all seriousness, no, I don't know anyone... I just like making jokes about the human fund this time of year)

Do tell about this The Human Fund. I must be living under a rock to not have heard about it. I'd like to be in on the joke.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a financial planner in the Winston-Salem area with whom you have had a good experience?

Craig Miller at Morgan Stanley. His group has various helpful resources (estate planning, money management, etc.). I think the min is $250k and they take 1.5 points a year.

OMG RJ KARL AND I AGREED ON SOMETHING

:D

You've fallen into a trap. If you actually look at the positions I've taken on that thread, we aren't that far apart.

My old man, c/o 1969, has been in the game for 40 years. pm me.

PM Sent. I would personally suggest staying away from broker/dealers and their advisors like Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, Ameriprise, Edward Jones, etc...

Way too many conflicts of interest and the fees are ridiculous. 1.5% for annual management is absurd...

Thanks very much for the responses thus far. To be more specific, I am interested in a fee-only planner who is not motivated by the hope of a commission to sell me anything.

Thanks very much for the responses thus far. To be more specific, I am interested in a fee-only planner who is not motivated by the hope of a commission to sell me anything.

You're doing it right. Fee-only CFP is the way to go (I'm bias of course) to get some objective advice. Hopefully there will be a washing out of the profession over the coming years as there is a lot of incompetence in the field at the moment...

So who is a good "fee only" financial planner in Winston-Salem?

[was actually trying to search for the "financial advice" thread to offer something, but I found this and was wondering...]

Do it yourself

Well, that's not bad advice, IMO.

Plenty of info on the Internet and Vanguard (and maybe others) offers low-fee investing (and even advice).

Still, curious if there's a "fee only" person or group that folks here know about and might recommend.

Back