• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

i always find it interesting that people who live every day with the threat of crime and violence, who have been victims or have family members who have been victims of violent crime, and who hear gun shots every night, are overwhelmingly in favor of stricter gun laws as opposed to arming themselves. The folks who are so invested in being armed to the teeth, and who insist on the free availability of firearms to anyone who wants one, generally live in places where they are much less likely to be victims of crime, and are much less likely to actually know anyone who is a armed criminal or a victim of gun crime.

But I'm sure it's just because the Democrats have brainwashed the former group so they don't know what's really good for them.

GunViolence.png

http://www.humanosphere.org/science...ing-the-u-s-to-rest-of-the-world/#prettyPhoto

Seems Chrissy Teigen was right...

"Since there’s not a law in Nevada that states that you must be able to spell gun in order to buy a gun, Jose Canseco owns guns. Jose’s actress/model girlfriend Leila Knight tells the NYDN that while cleaning one of his four guns at the kitchen table in his Las Vegas house yesterday, the gun somehow went off and a bullet nearly took off his left hand’s middle finger. Leila says that the oaf with steroids-infused tissue mush for brains didn’t know the gun was loaded."

OK, this one I can laugh at.

The expanded background checks in Washington were voted on yesterday:

Washington Ballot Initiative Gives Gun Control Activists a Rare Win

The vote also served has an important test case for the gun control movement, which found fresh support and expanded coffers in the wake of the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. Efforts to pass gun control on a federal level, however, failed in the aftermath of the tragedy and the issue did not appear to be a factor in the most closely watched congressional midterm races. Appealing directly to voters, though costly, worked for gun control groups, it appears in Washington, and could work elsewhere.

Meanwhile Alabama passed a state constitutional amendment purporting to require judges to apply "strict scrutiny" to any laws restricting firearms. Not sure exactly how that works in a state constitution, but the point is clear.

i thought the anti-gun-control ads Tillis (or his Koch backers) rolled out against Hagan were probably the most effective of the whole campaign. You know, the ones with the "liberal billionaires" and vote against Kay Hagan "to preserve your freedom". You want to get NC residents riled up to get out to the polls and vote against somebody, by God tell them they're coming after yer gunz! It just astounds me that people are so freaking ignorant and uninformed about the legal and political landscape around gun control, post-Heller and post-Sandy Hook, that crap like that works on them.

"Look, we don't care what you do with yer lawmaking and yer politicking and what not just don't let 'em take our guns!"

In all seriousness, I would hope ALL LAWS have strict scrutiny applied to them.

Colloquial "strict" scrutiny, or the legal concept "strict scrutiny?"

This is the text of the Alabama constitutional provision as rewritten by the law:

(a) Every citizen has a fundamental right to bear arms in defense of himself or herself and the state. Any restriction on this right shall be subject to strict scrutiny.
(b) No citizen shall be compelled by any international treaty or international law to take an action that prohibits, limits, or otherwise interferes with his or her fundamental right to keep and bear arms in defense of himself or herself and the state, if such treaty or law, or its adoption, violates the United States Constitution.

By the way, they also passed an amendment granting a constitutional right to hunt and fish.

Ah I admit my ignorance of the difference. I was only referring to the former.

Oh no worries man, that's why I was asking.

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this (nor do I really intend to) so I'll just ask, is this anything more than window dressing? I mean the courts sure as hell aren't going to be allowed to use a different legal standard to analyze second amendment claims in Alabama than in other states are they? Or does this fall under "you can raise the floor but can't lower the ceiling" type of argument?

Oh no worries man, that's why I was asking.

I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this (nor do I really intend to) so I'll just ask, is this anything more than window dressing? I mean the courts sure as hell aren't going to be allowed to use a different legal standard to analyze second amendment claims in Alabama than in other states are they? Or does this fall under "you can raise the floor but can't lower the ceiling" type of argument?

Neither have I, but I think it's window dressing and political grandstanding. apparently this sort of thing is extremely common in the Alabama constitution which (I just learned from Wikipedia) has something like 856 amendments. possibly it sets up a situation where a state gun control law that would pass muster under the US 2d amendment would be unconstitutional under the Alabama constitution - not that the Alabama legislature is going to pass such a thing in our lifetimes.

By the way, they also passed an amendment granting a constitutional right to hunt and fish.

Their second one. They also have an amendment related to their right to hunt and fish that was added in 1996. I guess it wasn't strong enough.

Wait, it looks like there was a vote on an amendment to protect their right to hunt and fish in 2010 also. What is Alabama doing?

(Probable answer - it looks like the NRA tried to get a similar amendment on the ballot in a bunch of different states this year. Can't expect Alabama to let the other states have all the fun!)

Neither have I, but I think it's window dressing and political grandstanding. apparently this sort of thing is extremely common in the Alabama constitution which (I just learned from Wikipedia) has something like 856 amendments. possibly it sets up a situation where a state gun control law that would pass muster under the US 2d amendment would be unconstitutional under the Alabama constitution - not that the Alabama legislature is going to pass such a thing in our lifetimes.

I wouldn't have been shocked if you had told me the Alabama constitution was written on Wikipedia.

I594 will be challenged and found unconstitutional.

Anyone want to take odds?

I wouldn't have been shocked if you had told me the Alabama constitution was written on Wikipedia.

The amount of disdain that you have for people you deem lower than you is fantastic...

Back