• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

In the first article, the author says "academic research aligns with current public opinion" then links to his own research, the second link. The third link is about a Pew study on people's opinions. So the only real research is the second link. That research finds that self-storage laws do not reduce accidental gun deaths and suicides. The only part that is about protection is the part that counts the increase in crimes in states where self-storage laws were enacted, and attributes those increases to the self-storage laws.

So it's bad descriptive "research" based on huge assumptions of causality.

(CNN) -- A 29-year-old mother was fatally shot Tuesday in an Idaho Walmart when her 2-year-old son in the shopping cart grabbed a gun that was in her purse and shot her in an apparent accident, authorities said.

This woman is definitely a Darwin Award nominee and a strong candidate to win, place or show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

This woman is definitely a Darwin Award nominee and a strong candidate to win, place or show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

What's the balance for safety vs availability then? She was too stupid to own a gun and it very well could've been someone else killed by her toddler. Had someone else been killed accidentally, by her stupidity, would that just be the blood of patriots watering the tree of liberty? Should possession and carry not be somewhat limited?

To anyone, not just Sailor, he was just my muse.

What's the balance for safety vs availability then? She was too stupid to own a gun and it very well could've been someone else killed by her toddler. Had someone else been killed accidentally, by her stupidity, would that just be the blood of patriots watering the tree of liberty? Should possession and carry not be somewhat limited?

To anyone, not just Sailor, he was just my muse.

I beg your pardon?

Her patriotic blood is not watering the tree of liberty. On the other hand, her idiotic blood is watering some unsold houseplants at Walmart - after having scarred her poor two-year old for life.

Yes, possession and carry should be limited, especially of concealable hand guns. Unfortunately, I have little hope that that anything sensible or effective will be done any time soon.

Civilians should not be allowed to carry concealed handguns, or any other kind, in public, much less without trigger locks. No concealed guns on your person anywhere, anytime in public. If you can do without you concealed gun while boarding an airplane, you can do without it at Walmart, the ballgame, at the beach, or just throwing the ball around with the kids in the park.

Permission to posses a handgun should be tied to the successful completion of a gun safety course and passing a minimum IQ test. I know, no chance because of spineless legislators and because then there will be too many deer, and the'll starve, or something intelligent like that.

Safety should be more important than availability. I know, no chance. Damn the consequences, fire away!

The only poster stating "bad research" is pHdeac, and he hasn't even read the paper. I think it is a decent article. Better than any other "academic research" articles posted as I have yet to read another research article on this thread. Why don't you read it and comment if you feel it is good or bad research? Or better yet, post an opposing research article with notable/acceptable research methods.

In the first article, the author says "academic research aligns with current public opinion" then links to his own research, the second link. The third link is about a Pew study on people's opinions. So the only real research is the second link. That research finds that self-storage laws do not reduce accidental gun deaths and suicides. The only part that is about protection is the part that counts the increase in crimes in states where self-storage laws were enacted, and attributes those increases to the self-storage laws.

Sux, avalon read it. I summed up what she said.

I have a paper of my own to finish, two to review, and two syllabi to finish for Monday. I've been busy with family the last two weeks. I'm not going to do anymore than glance at it. I relied on the review of a very good poster who I trust. Feel free to debate it with avalon or just answer the questions I have.

I beg your pardon?

Her patriotic blood is not watering the tree of liberty. On the other hand, her idiotic blood is watering some unsold houseplants at Walmart - after having scarred her poor two-year old for life.

Yes, possession and carry should be limited, especially of concealable hand guns. Unfortunately, I have little hope that that anything sensible or effective will be done any time soon.

Civilians should not be allowed to carry concealed handguns, or any other kind, in public, much less without trigger locks. No concealed guns on your person anywhere, anytime in public. If you can do without you concealed gun while boarding an airplane, you can do without it at Walmart, the ballgame, at the beach, or just throwing the ball around with the kids in the park.

Permission to posses a handgun should be tied to the successful completion of a gun safety course and passing a minimum IQ test. I know, no chance because of spineless legislators and because then there will be too many deer, and the'll starve, or something intelligent like that.

Safety should be more important than availability. I know, no chance. Damn the consequences, fire away!

Sorry. On the internet, I assume he unless I know otherwise.

The current and former mayors of NYC had no comment. Two of these guys do not look like people I would let in my home.

http://nblo.gs/12qGgd

A Lumberton man traded gunfire with three men who forced their way into his home, robbed the family, tried to rape his granddaughter and stole his car Monday, Robeson County authorities said.
One of the men, identified as Jamie Faison, 20, was shot and found dead in the stolen Cadillac parked at his home on the 600 block of Singletary Church Road, Sheriff Kenneth Sealey said in a news release.
The two other men turned up at area hospitals with gunshot wounds.
The homeowner, Kenneth Byrd, 67, was shot multiple times, the release said.
Authorities received a call about 10 p.m. that someone had been shot at a home on the 100 block of Yedda Road, east of Lumberton.
Deputies responded and found Byrd, his wife, Judy, 65, and his 19-year-old granddaughter at the home.
The family told them that a man came to the door and said he was having problems with his vehicle and needed water.
Two men wearing black clothing, ski masks and gloves forced their way into the home and demanded money, Sealey said.
All three of the men had guns.
The Byrds were pushed to the back of their home and instructed to open a safe.
When the men tried to rape the couple’s granddaughter, Byrd grabbed a gun and exchanged shots with the assailants, Sealey said. . . .
Later, the Sheriff’s Office was notified that two people who had been shot came to McLeod Medical Center in Dillon, South Carolina. . . .

So Republicans are trying to make it easier for some criminals to get guns.

elkman, what about the non-response from national gun rights organizations?

By the way, there's apparently some big rally in support of cops in Ohio, presumably to support the cops who ambushed John Crawford and Tamir Rice.

Maybe because the police did the shooting and used poor judgement if we Tuesday Morning Quarterback each incident?

I grew up about a 5 minute walk from campus, shot airguns almost every day as a teenager in the backyard, but somehow the police never showed up. My favorite is this one...

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2008/04/rws-diana-45-a-bridge-to-the-past/

I bet I have 10000 pellets down that barrel...

I have no idea what any of that means.

"Maybe because the police did the shooting and used poor judgement if we Tuesday Morning Quarterback each incident? "

Please interpret this.

Back