• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Obama nailed it in his comments: "At some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries."

Charlie Hebdo says hi.

Oh I'm definitely in favor of tighter gun restrictions: outlaw high capacity mags, outlaw bumpfire mods, require liability insurance, national registration database, liability for transferors, etc. I'm in favor of gun ownership in theory (I own several and have a CCP), but we also need to take the consequences of them much more seriously and handle it in a much more responsible manner than we currently do. It is completely absurd that we require insurance for car ownership but not for gun ownership.
Good post, thats a very reasonable stance for responsible gun ownership

Obama nailed it in his comments: "At some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries."

Did he not say something similar after Sandy Hook?

I don't care what politicians have to say anymore...nothing will ever change.

The only thing that even has a chance is the same thing that is causing more social issues to be accepted by a wider number of people....the old folks hafta die off.

Get enough of the old gun-toting blowhards out of the picture and the younger, more socially conscious generations will reduce the influence of the gun lobby and 2nd Amendment nutjobs...at least I hope so.

I have no hope. A close young relative is a double wake graduate, advanced degree, highly successful, and truly believes that he has to be armed with several guns to keep his family safe (in one of the poshest suburbs in his state) and that almost any kind of gun regulation is a slippery slope to a police state. Plenty of people like him out there to carry this nonsense forward for the next couple generations.

Charlie Hebdo says hi.

People criticized Obama for not getting on a plane to participate in a photo-op for Charlie Hebdo without realizing he deals with this type of things way too often at home.

Agreed. One of the biggest ways to curb gun violence is to make people who transfer guns partially liable for the gun-related actions of whomever they transferred it to.

There should be a way to legally sell a gun and remove your liability, but I think that's a smart idea.

Would you say that about an Afrikaner repping the pre-apartheid flag? Or a German repping a Nazi flag?

Southerners who rep the Confederate flag get a free pass for supporting the most anti-American state policies in our history and the "heritage" made possible by slavery.

My point was that I can at least understand how a Southerner might convince himself that his wearing of the confederate flag is not racist but representative of his heritage. An American wearing an Apartheid-era SA flag is just being a racist fuck.

It's just mind boggling to hear people continue to say "guns don't kill people", "people kill people" - get your head out of your ass America. Good god, how many more of these do we need.

What kind of parent gives his a kid like that a gun for his 21st birthday? Nuts

Chris Rock's idea of allowing everyone to have a gun, but making a bullet cost 1K was ahead of its time.

I have no hope. A close young relative is a double wake graduate, advanced degree, highly successful, and truly believes that he has to be armed with several guns to keep his family safe (in one of the poshest suburbs in his state)
Of course he needs guns, look at all those crazy fuckers out there with guns!

People criticized Obama for not getting on a plane to participate in a photo-op for Charlie Hebdo without realizing he deals with this type of things way too often at home.

I was just pointing out that he was incorrect in his statrement that "this tyupe of mass violence does not happen in other advanced conutries."

There should be a way to legally sell a gun and remove your liability, but I think that's a smart idea.

Sure, sell it to a registered dealer with an FFL dealer permit to remove your liability. But the concept of an individual selling a gun to another individual without any continuing liability is ridiculous.

Reactions: ONW
I was just pointing out that he was incorrect in his statrement that "this tyupe of mass violence does not happen in other advanced conutries."

I guess I have to quote the full paragraph for the 'Murica crowd.

But let's be clear: At some point, we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn't happen in other places with this kind of frequency. And it is in our power to do something about it. I say that recognizing the politics in this town foreclose a lot of those avenues right now. But it would be wrong for us not to acknowledge it. And at some point it's going to be important for the American people to come to grips with it, and for us to be able to shift how we think about the issue of gun violence collectively.

Does Fox News just really try hard to be extra white?!?! This is just absurd and the fact that nobody calls them out is shameful

i finally watched this... i ... just... how... what. the. fuck.

It's just mind boggling to hear people continue to say "guns don't kill people", "people kill people" - get your head out of your ass America. Good god, how many more of these do we need.

What kind of parent gives his a kid like that a gun for his 21st birthday? Nuts

What kind of parent lets his kid walk around w a haircut like that?!?!

Oh for fucks sake, use some goddamn common sense when trying to rebut this. A single incident does not invalidate his claim. The stats are unquestionable that gun deaths in this country far FAR outnumber those in other advanced countries. This "type of violence" happens way more often here than in other advanced countries, which is clearly what Obama's point is to anyone who doesn't have their head lodged up their ignorant ass.

Our country has a demonstrably unhealthy love affair with guns.

Back