• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Oh for fucks sake, use some goddamn common sense when trying to rebut this. A single incident does not invalidate his claim. The stats are unquestionable that gun deaths in this country far FAR outnumber those in other advanced countries. This "type of violence" happens way more often here than in other advanced countries, which is clearly what Obama's point is to anyone who doesn't have their head lodged up their ignorant ass.

Our country has a demonstrably unhealthy love affair with guns.

LK, your bolded statement is incorrect. (IMO, I don't think 18 vs 22 is "way more.") It is not nearly as one sided as one would think. Since 2001, in Europe, they have had 18 "Rampage Killers" that have killed/injured since 2001. In the US, that total is 22 over the same period of time.

Now, weather or not you think stricter gun control laws are better for society or not is a valid argument to have and I think 2 and 2 (I think it was him) had some good ideas on reforms, but the knee jerk reaction that this only happens here is just incorrect.

Here are your links:

Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers_(Europe)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers_(Americas)

Europe is a continent. USA is a country.

Europe has over twice the population of the USA.

And read your own damn link, Hulka:

------
This section does not include school massacres, workplace killings, hate crimes, or mass murders that took place primarily in a domestic environment, like familicides, which form their own categories.
------

It blows my mind how far some people will go to defend American violence simply because it is American.

Last edited:

I was in the middle of posting the same thing and saw that Ph already beat me to it.

Now, weather or not you think stricter gun control laws are better for society or not is a valid argument to have and I think 2 and 2 (I think it was him) had some good ideas on reforms, but the knee jerk reaction that this only happens here is just incorrect.

Here are your links:

Nobody is claiming that. Not one single fucking person is claiming that.

Jesus you gun nuts can be impossibly dense.

I was in the middle of posting the same thing and saw that Ph already beat me to it.

Believe it or not, Hulka's post was even worse than we realized. See my edit.

And read your own damn link, Hulka:

------
This section does not include school massacres, workplace killings, hate crimes, or mass murders that took place primarily in a domestic environment, like familicides, which form their own categories.
------

It blows my mind how far some people will go to defend American violence simply because it is American.

Neither does it include that from the European side (i.e. Charlie Hebdo, the Netherlands, the Spanish terrorist attack, etc are not on the EU list either) This is an apples to apples comparison. I am NOT trying to argue that guns are good, or whatever words or argument you would put in my mouth. My point was that these kinds of things (mass, rampage killings take place becaues there are crazy people out there. In countries with the strictest gun control laws-i.e. you are not allowed to own one, they also happen). I am arguing against the knee jerk reaction that is taking place.

Neither does it include that from the European side (i.e. Charlie Hebdo, the Netherlands, the Spanish terrorist attack, etc are not on the EU list either) This is an apples to apples comparison. I am NOT trying to argue that guns are good, or whatever words or argument you would put in my mouth. My point was that these kinds of things (mass, rampage killings take place becaues there are crazy people out there. In countries with the strictest gun control laws-i.e. you are not allowed to own one, they also happen). I am arguing against the knee jerk reaction that is taking place.

They happen far less often in countries with strict gun laws which is the point.

as an aside, i've read that wiki before out of curiosity but i never understood why they didn't include the other categories when considering a "shooting rampage". weird choice.

Nobody is saying they don't happen. They are very clearly saying they happen more often in the US.

No one here is interested in debate.

You're the one trying to squash debate on how to address gun violence by pulling out the UNC style, "everybody does it" argument.

No one here is interested in debate.

You seem to be doing just fine in your debate against this guy:

Strawman.png

as an aside, i've read that wiki before out of curiosity but i never understood why they didn't include the other categories when considering a "shooting rampage". weird choice.

Probably because some gun notes wrote the initial entry.

LK, your bolded statement is incorrect. (IMO, I don't think 18 vs 22 is "way more.") It is not nearly as one sided as one would think. Since 2001, in Europe, they have had 18 "Rampage Killers" that have killed/injured since 2001. In the US, that total is 22 over the same period of time.

Here are your links:

Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers_(Europe)

Smh, this is the kind of crazy rationalization that is literally killing people in this country

just saw a car with a window decal that said

[X] Gun Owner
[ ] Victim

Was turning in a license plate at the DMV today and was behind a dude wearing a shirt that read:

First rule of gun control?

OWN ONE

Then in the upper corner of the office they had the TV on Fox News who were covering the Charleston shooting. I got sad and shook my head at the juxtaposition.

guns dont kill people people kill people if guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns its not the bill of needs its the bill of rights they can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hands its not about guns its about mental health enforce the laws already on the books the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun

Past experience has shown that this incantation will successfully ward off future gun violence.

Back