• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Prisoner frees himself from handcuffs while being transported in NO, "finds a weapon" and shoots and kills the officer driving. I'm gonna need an explanation how that is possible.

10 shot at a block party in Philly and 10 more at a children's birthday party in Detroit.

More guns needed, clearly.

I think we all understand at this point of civilization that the only way to prevent these types of gun deaths are more guns for everybody.

meh. americans just don't care. makes me sad

Yep, I mean when I saw that Charleston shooting my reaction wasn't shocked, it was just "meh." Sad we're so desensitized to it but clearly most Americans aren't interested in addressing the problem so what can you do?

I know you can't quantify it but I'd be interested to see the correlation between racist white people and how many of them own guns

On my phone so unable to link but apparently block parties in both Philly and Detroit got shot up last night. Close to 20 people shot, including kids.

If #blacklives actually matter we should care about this too. It disgusts me how little attention the media gives to every day inner city violence. It's a much harder fix than taking a flag down (which I support) so I guess that's why we wash are hands of it.

Fucking guns man

Last edited:
Guns don't kill people, but they make killing people way easier than it should be.

Reactions: ONW
Guns don't kill people, but they make killing people way easier than it should be.

Exactly. Guns give pissed off people way too power.

I hate that this stupid NRA "Guns don't kill people" BS has gotten so much traction that those of us who want stricter gun control have to frame our arguments in its context.

Guns do kill people just like a number of other weapons. Would anyone say that it wasn't the atomic bomb that killed 100k people in Hiroshima?

"Focus on the Mental Health Crisis" is worse than "People Kill People", IMO

Especially since there's no will to increase public spending on mental health and it's still stigmatized.

right, it's basically the NRA's version of "let's address the lack of two parent households first"

I know you can't quantify it but I'd be interested to see the correlation between racist white people and how many of them own guns

During my surgery residency, I would estimate >95% of shootings were due to black on black crime. Most shootings were related to drugs. Sorry this doesn't fit your narrative but continue...

During my surgery residency, I would estimate >95% of shootings were due to black on black crime. Most shootings were related to drugs. Sorry this doesn't fit your narrative but continue...

It doesn't fit because you two are talking about different things. He's talking about racism and gun ownership. You're talking about victims of gun violence in one particular place.

It bothers me that a surgeon takes into account the circumstances of why someone needs surgery. Not sure why it matters if someone who got shot is black and got shot by another black person.

140713-Ben-Carson-ftr.jpg

It doesn't fit because you two are talking about different things. He's talking about racism and gun ownership. You're talking about victims of gun violence in one particular place.

It bothers me that a surgeon takes into account the circumstances of why someone needs surgery. Not sure why it matters if someone who got shot is black and got shot by another black person.

It bothers you that surgeons observe every detail possible about the patients they are about to operate on?

It bothers you that surgeons observe every detail possible about the patients they are about to operate on?

I've never been to med school so I don't know how the race or motivation of the shooter helps a surgeon save someone's life.

I welcome an explanation.

on House it was often the details of someone's life that made or broke the case... I assume that's how all medicine is practiced

Back