• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

in these instances where a child shoots themselves with a gun found in the house, how many of the gun owners would have considered themselves "responsible" gun owners prior to the incident. whenever something happens, these so so-called responsible ones come on here and say, "well if they were a responsible gun owner then they would've..."

Most police officers no what is responsible and and what is not. If the parents were not responsible, then arrest them for involuntary manslaughter.

Most police officers no what is responsible and and what is not. If the parents were not responsible, then arrest them for involuntary manslaughter.

Sounds like that trusting that parental and personal responsibility is working really well for the 3 year olds of the world.

Marietta Deac;1066124[B said:
]Most police officers no what is responsible and and what is not.[/B] If the parents were not responsible, then arrest them for involuntary manslaughter.

you mean like that cop who let his three year old nephew blow his head off while he went to go pay for some gas mentioned a couple pages ago? it's beyond the scope of this thread so we may need to make a new one but i strongly beg to differ with what you just wrote there.

on the whole police officers are not that intelligent, in NC you're not even required to have a 2 year degree to become a cop. Cops who come from the military have even less capacity to think critically, as they have been drilled to believe things must be done a certain way all the time, and that an authority figure is always right and must always be obeyed. There are a lot of good cops, but an equal number of bad ones in my experience. and they are all reactionary and most are more concerned with "collecting taxes" and arresting people who are rude to them than they are concerned with arresting actual criminals.

on the whole police officers are not that intelligent, in NC you're not even required to have a 2 year degree to become a cop. Cops who come from the military have even less capacity to think critically, as they have been drilled to believe things must be done a certain way all the time, and that an authority figure is always right and must always be obeyed. There are a lot of good cops, but an equal number of bad ones in my experience.

Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with law enforcement officers (to include former military policemen) upon which you base your sweeping generalities.

Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with law enforcement officers (to include former military policemen) upon which you base your sweeping generalities.

yeah, me too. those are some pretty damning statements.

you mean like that cop who let his three year old nephew blow his head off while he went to go pay for some gas mentioned a couple pages ago? it's beyond the scope of this thread so we may need to make a new one but i strongly beg to differ with what you just wrote there.

on the whole police officers are not that intelligent, in NC you're not even required to have a 2 year degree to become a cop. Cops who come from the military have even less capacity to think critically, as they have been drilled to believe things must be done a certain way all the time, and that an authority figure is always right and must always be obeyed. There are a lot of good cops, but an equal number of bad ones in my experience. and they are all reactionary and most are more concerned with "collecting taxes" and arresting people who are rude to them than they are concerned with arresting actual criminals.

education required to be a police officer in NC depends on the jurisdiction. I know for a fact of some jurisdictions that require 4 year degrees to become an officer.

i'm not quite sure what you mean by "more concerned with "collecting taxes.""

education required to be a police officer in NC depends on the jurisdiction. I know for a fact of some jurisdictions that require 4 year degrees to become an officer.

200px-FileRobinhood140.jpg

Local police / Sheriffs get zero cut from the fines of writing tickets.

Sheriff's offices generate revenue for their counties from serving court papers, processing pistol permits and keeping state / federal inmates.

Some police / sheriffs collect money for records printing to cover the cost of the processing / printing.

Last edited:
What do DC and Alaska have in common?

GUN DEATHS PER 100,000 PEOPLE

# 1 District of Columbia: 31.2
# 2 Alaska: 20
# 3 Louisiana: 19.5
# 4 Wyoming: 18.8
# 5 Arizona: 18
# 6 Nevada: 17.3
# 6 Mississippi: 17.3
# 8 New Mexico: 16.6
# 9 Arkansas: 16.3
# 10 Alabama: 16.2
# 11 Tennessee: 15.4
# 12 West Virginia: 14.7
# 13 Montana: 14.5
# 14 South Carolina: 13.8
# 15 North Carolina: 13.6
# 16 Georgia: 13.4
# 17 Kentucky: 13.1
# 17 Oklahoma: 13.1
# 19 Missouri: 12.3
# 19 Idaho: 12.3
# 21 Indiana: 11.7
# 22 Colorado: 11.5
# 22 Maryland: 11.5
# 24 Florida: 11.1
# 24 Virginia: 11.1
# 26 Texas: 11
# 27 Michigan: 10.9
# 28 Oregon: 10.5
# 29 Pennsylvania: 9.9
# 30 California: 9.8
# 31 Illinois: 9.7
# 31 Kansas: 9.7
# 31 Utah: 9.7
# 34 Vermont: 9.6
# 35 Ohio: 9.3
# 35 Washington: 9.3
# 37 Delaware: 9.1
# 37 North Dakota: 9.1
# 39 Wisconsin: 8.1
# 39 Nebraska: 8.1
# 41 South Dakota: 7.9
# 42 Iowa: 6.7
# 43 Maine: 6.5
# 44 Minnesota: 6
# 45 New Hampshire: 5.8
# 46 Rhode Island: 5.1
# 46 New York: 5.1
# 48 New Jersey: 4.9
# 49 Connecticut: 4.3
# 50 Massachusetts: 3.1
# 51 Hawaii: 2.8

Weighted average: 11.5

Of the Top 20 states/district where you are most likely to die by gun, 17 are red states. The ten you are least likely to are all blue states.

Sheriff's offices generate revenue for their counties from serving court papers, processing pistol permits and keeping state / federal inmates.

Some police / sheriffs collect money for records printing to cover the cost of the processing / printing.

is that directed at me? i know about revenue generated by public safety in NC, i was just curious as to his using "collecting taxes" to explain it. Never heard it like that.

and like you said, tickets do not provide funding to police/Sheriff, it goes to education

is that directed at me? i know about revenue generated by public safety in NC, i was just curious as to his using "collecting taxes" to explain it. Never heard it like that.

and like you said, tickets do not provide funding to police/Sheriff, it goes to education

It was intended as follow-up to your response.

It was intended as follow-up to your response.

gotcha, no worries.

one note on those Sheriff's revenues, state and federal inmates are great revenue generators, if you're jail has the space to house them. when discussing new jail or expansions, revenue from housing state and feds is definitely something that affects the bottom line

gotcha, no worries.

one note on those Sheriff's revenues, state and federal inmates are great revenue generators, if you're jail has the space to house them. when discussing new jail or expansions, revenue from housing state and feds is definitely something that affects the bottom line

The state actually has a program that jails can volunteer for now that lets the state farm out misdemeanants to free up state prison space for convicted inmates. Before, it was mainly pre-trail state inmates.

sure, i'll tell you more than you wanna know, just gimmie a bit busy today.

What do DC and Alaska have in common?

GUN DEATHS PER 100,000 PEOPLE

# 1 District of Columbia: 31.2
# 2 Alaska: 20
# 3 Louisiana: 19.5
# 4 Wyoming: 18.8
# 5 Arizona: 18
# 6 Nevada: 17.3
# 6 Mississippi: 17.3
# 8 New Mexico: 16.6
# 9 Arkansas: 16.3
# 10 Alabama: 16.2
# 11 Tennessee: 15.4
# 12 West Virginia: 14.7
# 13 Montana: 14.5
# 14 South Carolina: 13.8
# 15 North Carolina: 13.6
# 16 Georgia: 13.4
# 17 Kentucky: 13.1
# 17 Oklahoma: 13.1
# 19 Missouri: 12.3
# 19 Idaho: 12.3
# 21 Indiana: 11.7
# 22 Colorado: 11.5
# 22 Maryland: 11.5
# 24 Florida: 11.1
# 24 Virginia: 11.1
# 26 Texas: 11
# 27 Michigan: 10.9
# 28 Oregon: 10.5
# 29 Pennsylvania: 9.9
# 30 California: 9.8
# 31 Illinois: 9.7
# 31 Kansas: 9.7
# 31 Utah: 9.7
# 34 Vermont: 9.6
# 35 Ohio: 9.3
# 35 Washington: 9.3
# 37 Delaware: 9.1
# 37 North Dakota: 9.1
# 39 Wisconsin: 8.1
# 39 Nebraska: 8.1
# 41 South Dakota: 7.9
# 42 Iowa: 6.7
# 43 Maine: 6.5
# 44 Minnesota: 6
# 45 New Hampshire: 5.8
# 46 Rhode Island: 5.1
# 46 New York: 5.1
# 48 New Jersey: 4.9
# 49 Connecticut: 4.3
# 50 Massachusetts: 3.1
# 51 Hawaii: 2.8

Weighted average: 11.5

Match these numbers with gun ownership.

Match these numbers with gun ownership.

Why don't we take it a step further and pull a dick move like that newspaper did in New York and put an interactive map of the United States of all the gunowners so we can see where they live.

Back