• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I think there should be a law that anyone who makes over $150,000/year should have to have an armed guard with him/her at all times.

I think the armed guards cost a lot more than that. You need to be in the high command to warrant that kind of special treatment.

Dude removed his gun from his holster and put it in a coat pocket before walking in a store. Bends over to look at something, guns falls out of his pocket and discharges when it hits the floor.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today...le-store-after-falling-out-of-customers-coat/

If fucking morons like this have guns, you know there are way too many guns in this country

Odds he considered himself a "responsible" owner and lamentened how other gun-related incidents didn't have responsible owners?

Dude removed his gun from his holster and put it in a coat pocket before walking in a store. Bends over to look at something, guns falls out of his pocket and discharges when it hits the floor.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today...le-store-after-falling-out-of-customers-coat/

If fucking morons like this have guns, you know there are way too many guns in this country

You can't expect him to be required to keep his gun holstered? He would have been at a disadvantage to the bad guys who have their guns in the waistband of their sweatpants.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/07/keeping-guns-away-from-children/

The Connecticut massacre occurred just two months after the American Academy of Pediatrics issued a new policy statement on firearm-related injuries to children. Murder and accidental shootings were not the academy’s only concerns. “Suicides among the young are typically impulsive,” the statement noted, “and easy access to lethal weapons largely determines outcome.”

In an article published online last month in The New England Journal of Medicine, Dr. Judith S. Palfrey, a pediatrician at Boston Children’s Hospital, and her husband, Dr. Sean Palfrey, also a pediatrician in Boston, highlighted the shocking statistics.

Every day in the United States, seven children and young adults between the ages of 1 and 24 die from gun-related injuries. That makes guns the second leading cause of death in young people — twice the number of deaths from cancer, five times the deaths from heart disease and 15 times the deaths from infections.

gunsq.jpg

Gun ownership % is as of 2007 and was found here (sourced from USACarry.com): http://usliberals.about.com/od/Elec...s-As-Percentage-Of-Each-States-Population.htm

This post is not getting as much attention as it deserves. Trend line is pretty f'in clear. More guns, more gun deaths. I'm sure it's just a correlation and not a causation though. Probably all those gun deaths in red states are just all those home invaders gettin' they ass shot.

This post is not getting as much attention as it deserves. Trend line is pretty f'in clear. More guns, more gun deaths. I'm sure it's just a correlation and not a causation though. Probably all those gun deaths in red states are just all those home invaders gettin' they ass shot.

In 2009, 333 deaths out of 31,347 (1%) were from legal uses of deadly force (most of these are by the police).

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL32842.pdf

"According to Germany’s Der Spiegel, German police shot only 85 bullets in all of 2011, a stark reminder that not every country is as gun-crazy as the U.S. of A. As Boing Boing translates, most of those shots weren’t even aimed anyone: “49 warning shots, 36 shots on suspects. 15 persons were injured, 6 were killed.
[...]
Meanwhile, in the U.S., where the population is little less than four times the size of Germany’s we can get to 85 in just one sitting. 84 shots fired at one murder suspect in Harlem, another 90 shot at one fleeing unarmed man in Los Angeles. And that was just April.

Didn't it take 41 shots for NYC police to get one guy?

Check out this site with a lot of facts on gun ownership in Germany. http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/germany

What you see is a pretty high rate of gun ownership - 30.3 guns per 100 citizens, #15 in the world. They are #4 in the world in raw number of civilian guns in the country. Nonetheless the rate of gun deaths is only 1.16 per 100,000 population, and the gun homicide rate is 0.2 per 100,000. The US is at 10.2 and 3.7, respectively.

I believe Germany has a long tradition of hunting and marksmanship. Germany is also generally recognized as a pretty healthy democracy with a high level of individual freedom, despite their rather ugly history. Nonetheless, Germany requires all firearms to be registered and owners must have a permit and some level of training (not sure what level). Each gun must have a unique identification mark.

From a very surface view, it looks to me that Germany has struck a pretty good balance between allowing law-abiding citizens to own guns while preventing them from falling into the hands of violent criminals.

Last edited:
Check out this site with a lot of facts on gun ownership in Germany. http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/germany

What you see is a pretty high rate of gun ownership - 30.3 guns per 100 citizens, #4 in the world. Nonetheless the rate of gun deaths is only 1.16 per 100,000 population, and the gun homicide rate is 0.2 per 100,000. The US is at 10.2 and 3.7, respectively.

I believe Germany has a long tradition of hunting and marksmanship. Germany is also generally recognized as a pretty healthy democracy with a high level of individual freedom, despite their rather ugly history. Nonetheless, Germany requires all firearms to be registered and owners must have a permit and some level of training (not sure what level). Each gun must have a unique identification mark.

From a very surface view, it looks to me that Germany has struck a pretty good balance between allowing law-abiding citizens to own guns while preventing them from falling into the hands of violent criminals.

I'm pretty sure Germany has some of the strictest gun laws in the world while still allowing them. Self defense is not a valid reason to get a gun license.

I'm pretty sure Germany has some of the strictest gun laws in the world while still allowing them. Self defense is not a valid reason to get a gun license.

"Strict" is obviously a very relative term. From the perspective of the US, pretty much every civilized country has "strict" gun laws. From the perspective of Japan, Germany's gun laws are probably pretty loose.

"According to Germany’s Der Spiegel, German police shot only 85 bullets in all of 2011, a stark reminder that not every country is as gun-crazy as the U.S. of A. As Boing Boing translates, most of those shots weren’t even aimed anyone: “49 warning shots, 36 shots on suspects. 15 persons were injured, 6 were killed.
[...]
Meanwhile, in the U.S., where the population is little less than four times the size of Germany’s we can get to 85 in just one sitting. 84 shots fired at one murder suspect in Harlem, another 90 shot at one fleeing unarmed man in Los Angeles. And that was just April.

I'm hardly a gun nut, but you don't fire warning shots. You fire to kill whatever it is you're aiming at.

I'm hardly a gun nut, but you don't fire warning shots. You fire to kill whatever it is you're aiming at.

Call them missed targets then. It's still 85 rounds in a year.

Back