• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Also I'm in favor of large scale gun control, including background checks

I would just like you to realize that the way that many of you act after a mass shooting is similar to the way that the anti-Muslim/immigrant crowd acts after a terrorist attack.

Stahp

CyYGlPSVEAAnSf7.jpg:large

let me try.... nobody died because the guy with a gun showed up and stopped him.

Who was the guy with a gun? Some untrained rando exercising his 2nd amendment rights?

Also I'm in favor of large scale gun control, including background checks

I would just like you to realize that the way that many of you act after a mass shooting is similar to the way that the anti-Muslim/immigrant crowd acts after a terrorist attack.

Stahp

This is a good post and what I realized I was doing after it became clear that it wasn't a gun related incidence.

This isn't changing my opinion that less guns is better for America, just like it won't change my opinion that letting Muslims into America is bad for America because of this event.

Confirmation bias---we take incidents and reinforce things we already believe.

let me try.... nobody died because the guy with a gun showed up and stopped him.

It was a police officer. Not a random CCL student or teacher. Very few people think that our police officers should be unarmed.

MM is right here: if it had been a gun, a lot of people would probably be dead. This isn't politicizing anything, it is a fact.

It was a police officer. Not a random CCL student or teacher. Very few people think that our police officers should be unarmed.

MM is right here: if it had been a gun, a lot of people would probably be dead. This isn't politicizing anything, it is a fact.

This event had no gun. these attacks are going to keep happening. Yes no gun meant less died. Also no bomb meant less died. Also cop getting there fast meant less died.

point is you guys buzz right past the obvious and instead of stopping the attacker from getting into his car and mowing people over and stabbing people you want a pat on the back that more people didn't die?

it's crazy.

This event had no gun. these attacks are going to keep happening. Yes no gun meant less died. Also no bomb meant less died. Also cop getting there fast meant less died.

point is you guys buzz right past the obvious and instead of stopping the attacker from getting into his car and mowing people over and stabbing people you want a pat on the back that more people didn't die?

it's crazy.

89, I'm curious, what would have prevented this in your mind? I know you don't like to answer questions, but I genuinely would like to know.

I'm having some trouble following your logical progression here. I agree with all five of these unrelated thoughts. I guess we're in agreement here.

These kinds of shooters aren't really the types to build bombs. Too complex, too costly, too time-consuming, too much chance of getting caught for what you're googling and purchasing and storing (Denver theater guy is a notable exception because I guess his mom never looked in his crazy bomb-construction bedroom). This whole argument isn't relevant though because we have already criminalized or controlled the purchase and possession of bomb ingredients.

​You guys? Liberals? Gun control supporters? Good guys with guns -- at least the ones I know -- are some of the biggest proponents of gun control. They don't want bad guys getting ahold of them either.

Again, I'm lost -- you've presented a false dichotomy here. I agree that there is something ideological going on, and that bad guys will find a way to hurt people even if we take away guns and knives and cars. I just think we should make it as difficult for them as possible by making the most dangerous and deadly weapons more difficult to obtain.

it's crazy.

I added some comments above. I'm not calling you a dumb rube or anything, but I think a lot of people here would benefit from seeing some well thought out arguments from people on your end of the political spectrum. This post was not well thought out. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm pretty sure no people who are pro-gun control are pushing for guns to be taken away from cops. Would be happy to see a link to the contrary though

Why is that interesting? Nobody questions that officers (of any color) should be shooting people who pose an actual threat

Tariq Nasheed is a giant fucking ass hat. I have no idea who Tariq Nasheed is, but suffice to say you're a giant fucking ass hat if you don't understand why a cop who stops ANYONE trying to cut up random strangers with a machette is being paraded around as a hero.

Back