• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I won’t hold my breath waiting for conservatives to invest in mental health care.

I couldn't agree more...so let's do this instead!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-signs-bill-revoking-obama-era-gun-checks-people-mental-n727221

President Donald Trump quietly signed a bill into law Tuesday rolling back an Obama-era regulation that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to purchase a gun.

The rule, which was finalized in December, added people receiving Social Security checks for mental illnesses and people deemed unfit to handle their own financial affairs to the national background check database.

:tear:

Moms who became gun control activists are now running for office

This is Lucy McBath. Her son, Jordan Davis, was killed in 2012. She's now the national spokesperson for Moms Demand and Everytown. And she's running for state house rep in Georgia:

This could be part of the problem. Republican running for Congress in Kansas.
http://tylertannahill.com/giveaway.php

There is an interesting dynamic on social media right now with students tweeting responses to conservative media members.

There is an interesting dynamic on social media right now with students tweeting responses to conservative media members.

yes but did she hear that some people were misusing statistics

Florida lawmakers were trying to sneak a provision about guns into an agriculture bill that was scheduled to go to committee today:

Florida lawmakers postpone consideration of bill to make it even easier to buy firearms

Commissioner of Agriculture Adam Putnam (R), who is running for governor of Florida, authored the provision and asked state Sen. Kelli Stargel (R) to tuck it into the end of a 98-page agriculture bill that deals mostly with oyster harvesting, livestock, and liquefied gas. The controversial provision would require the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, the state agency that monitors gun purchases, to issue concealed carry firearm licenses to people within 90 days of their application, even if their background checks are incomplete.

The state Senate Appropriations Committee was scheduled to consider the legislation at 1 p.m. Thursday. Shortly before she headed into the committee meeting, state Sen. Linda Nelson (D), who represents the district that includes Pulse nightclub, told ThinkProgress she questions why the gun provision was added to the bill in the first place.

“It’s just the wrong vehicle to talk about this,” she said. “There’s so much in that ag bill that I support — the oysters, and the greening money. You don’t want to be against agriculture because we need all those things… But I just can’t support it.”

Well if she had a gun, she could have gone *pew* *pew* *pew* and saved her classmates.

Agree 100%.

How does a 19 year old get that weapon all all that ammunition?

It’s that easy? Just go to Walmart?

yes, though probably not at wally world. any gun store would have semi-auto rifles of various caliber and ammunition. quick google search says the boca raton area has at least 16 places to buy guns within a 30 min drive

Welp.

Retraction coming any minute now, I'm sure.

Jordan Jereb, captain of the Republic of Florida, said Cruz “was part of our organization.” ROF hosted a “paramilitary” training session in the Tallahassee area that Cruz attended, Jereb said. “He probably used that training to do what he did yesterday. Nobody I know told him to do that, he just freaked out,” Jereb added.

While Jereb denied responsibility for the massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High Schoo, he admitted someone in the ROF group purchased Cruz a rifle.

“I think somebody bought him a Mosin-Nagant, but that’s bolt action. He had a semi-automatic in the school,” Jereb said, adding, “He may have buried it in his survival cache. We encourage members to do that.”

Link

"There are more gun dealers in the U.S. than grocery stores (37,716), McDonald's (14,098), total coffee shops (55,246), and almost 6 for every Starbucks (10,843). If you include gun collectors, manufacturers, and importers (138,659 as of December 2015), there are more gun dealers in the U.S. than there are pharmacies (67,000) or public schools (98,328)," the team wrote.

Firearms vs Frappuccinos interactive map:

http://www.safer-america.com/firearmsandfraps/

p85haaf.png

siobNfp.png

Back