• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

It's amazing how often conservatives mock the survivors of tragedies and those trying to prevent the next tragedy. The treatment by the Sandy Hook parents by the right has been appalling. And it's all so they can appease the NRA and keep their guns.

I started off class today talking about the shooting. One of my students said something similar. "I feel so helpless. We're young. We can't do anything, but the adults won't do anything."

Last edited:
There are only like 3 million NRA members, where's all this political power coming from

I was assuming they weren't in those numbers, but it would make sense.

Many are also extremely small, almost hobby shops, catering to hunting and fishing. These aren’t fancy places.

There was a shop near my house out in the country in this guys basement. He was a old gunsmith and would only open for weird hours and was a hangout for old guys

I imagine many of these are mom and pop operations. How is it Walmart, Bass Pro Shops, and such haven’t put them out of business?

You mean FFL holders?

Wal-Mart doesn’t sell anything other than hunting gear. No handguns or expensive tactical gear, iirc.

If a particular Walmart has an FFL, they sell firearms.

There are only like 3 million NRA members, where's all this political power coming from

Closer to 5 million or more. If you think the NRA donates more money to political causes than Michael Bloomberg then you are mistaken. Michael Bloomberg thinks the following...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/m...ould-infringe-on-your-freedom/article/2525308

See the pronouns. I, we, your. Enough said.

And you want to carry guns and freely distribute guns with few restrictions and infringe on my safety.

Obviously, the problem is far more complex than just the relatively easy availability of a wide variety of guns. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. When it comes to gun control, what needs to be done, can't be done. What can be done is not enough. We have been making incremental changes in gun laws since the assassination of President Kennedy, and the situation has not improved, only gotten worse. We can make incremental changes but these will not do much to ease the basic problem: the easy availability of guns - legally or illegally - to people who should not have them.

We have to think comprehensively about this problem. No single viable action will do much to ease the problem.

Why try?

Also is there any reasonable explanation for why the federal government is prohibited from collecting data on any measure that will “advocate or promote gun control” and more broadly has the effect of blocking research on the public health effects of firearms?

I imagine many of these are mom and pop operations. How is it Walmart, Bass Pro Shops, and such haven’t put them out of business?

You mean FFL holders?

Wal-Mart doesn’t sell anything other than hunting gear. No handguns or expensive tactical gear, iirc.

If a particular Walmart has an FFL, they sell firearms.

Closer to 5 million or more. If you think the NRA donates more money to political causes than Michael Bloomberg then you are mistaken. Michael Bloomberg thinks the following...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/m...ould-infringe-on-your-freedom/article/2525308

See the pronouns. I, we, your. Enough said.

Can’t legislate morality, guys!

Good to see elkman emerge after the requisite 24 hours of silent thoughts and prayers.

See you in a month after the next shooting!

Why try?

Also is there any reasonable explanation for why the federal government is prohibited from collecting data on any measure that will “advocate or promote gun control” and more broadly has the effect of blocking research on the public health effects of firearms?

The why try argument is always an interesting one, but it starts with the premise that we need a really impactful gun control policy like more extreme than anything realistically floated on the left.

The prohibition on research into public health impacts of firearms is one of the most egregiously evil components of the NRA’s efforts. When you won’t even allow research, it tells me that you are aware of the problem associated with your product, but your profits are more important than the risks. See the MO of big tobacco, fracking, etc.

Predictably, now is not the time to talk about guns. Thanks, Paul Ryan.

"This is one of those moments where we just need to step back and count our blessings," he told reporters Thursday at a news conference at the Capitol. "We need to think less about taking sides and fighting each other politically, and just pulling together. This House, and the whole country, stands with the Parkland community."

Predictably, now is not the time to talk about guns. Thanks, Paul Ryan.

"This is one of those moments where we just need to step back and count our blessings," he told reporters Thursday at a news conference at the Capitol. "We need to think less about taking sides and fighting each other politically, and just pulling together. This House, and the whole country, stands with the Parkland community."

Ok. Can we talk about Vegas yet? Orlando? Sandy Hook? Fort Hood? What about Virginia Tech?

Ok. Can we talk about Vegas yet? Orlando? Sandy Hook? Fort Hood? What about Virginia Tech?

it's not a gun problem, it's a mental health problem. video games! drugs! we need to fix mental health and we solve this. we are doing everything (nothing) we can!

Back