• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Actually the NRA does not fight every change. For example, the change in the mental health rules that were adopted last year that have been in the press the past few days was pushed by the ACLU. The NRA actually didn't oppose the restriction.

Overall it's a good organization that does a ton of good. Do I agree with everything they do? No. But that's true with any group or organization.

what good does it do? honest question

Actually the NRA does not fight every change. For example, the change in the mental health rules that were adopted last year that have been in the press the past few days was pushed by the ACLU. The NRA actually didn't oppose the restriction.

Overall it's a good organization that does a ton of good. Do I agree with everything they do? No. But that's true with any group or organization.

What exactly does the NRA do other than promote gun ownership? A "ton of good" is, at best, likely a stretch.

It would be fantastic if our leaders could have an honest debate on these ideas. Unfortunately it seems to be impossible for them to have a civil, honest debate on anything these days.

This seems very dishonest. It's not a lack of civility that is halting debate, it's a lack of willingness to even begin the debate by Republicans at all. Just listen to them. They say the same things every month that we have a mass shooting.

what good does it do? honest question

I've been involved in a ton of gun safety courses over the years, firearms training, shooting competitions. Basically a respect for firearms and the responsibilities that come with ownership and their use.

The advocacy piece of the organization is very public, but is actually a small piece of what the NRA does.

Ahhh....here it is...

up-gun-control-matrix-1484005610423-jumbo.png

This seems very dishonest. It's not a lack of civility that is halting debate, it's a lack of willingness to even begin the debate by Republicans at all. Just listen to them. They say the same things every month that we have a mass shooting.

The problem as I see it is you have one side that won't bend at all on any restriction, while the other side paints all gun owners as psychos and goes overboard with the "gun grab" proposals. That's why there's no give and take and an honest discussion can't happen.

News just reported a call was made to FBI tipline on January 5th about this kid. The FBI didn’t follow up with the Miami field office. What a fuck up!

In the government we trust? Right?

The problem as I see it is you have one side that won't bend at all on any restriction, while the other side paints all gun owners as psychos and goes overboard with the "gun grab" proposals. That's why there's no give and take and an honest discussion can't happen.

That’s about 1/2 right.

You're again being dishonest here. Your second "half" seems like a convenient excuse for your first half. Also if you are truly interested in debate and/or compromise what does it matter what one side "thinks". Especially if the party in power is the one that refuses to act.

They definitely could have investigated better, but they couldn't take his gun. If they had, he potentially becomes a hero on the right like George Zimmerman another shitbag murderer.

Someone called the tipline on January 5th captain. Did the FBI note the police were at his house 39 times? Did the FBI know he was kicked out of three schools? Did the FBI know he had a gun. Or guns is what I’m hearing.

i mean, i think we all agree he shouldn't have had guns. but what mechanism would prevent it

It may do a lot of good in your eyes, but I think you need to realize that the NRA is the reason why we don't have any of those common sense changes that you claim to support.

Your continued membership signals that you are OK with how things are. That's just the honest truth.

Last edited:

I would challenge you to find a single bill introduced in Congress in the last 30 years that proposes confiscation of guns from law-abiding citizens. This kind of rhetoric is part of the problem. Any politician who proposes even the smallest restriction on firearms is labelled "gun grabber" by the NRA. I have received dozens of mailers from the NRA and right-wing politicians labeling their opponents "gun grabbers" but not a single one of those people has ever proposed confiscation. You can't say that you are for reasonable solutions and then label the proponents of such solutions "gun grabbers".

the answer is something similar to the australian plan: ban further purchases of semi-automatic weapons (whether black and scary or wooden and pretty, including pistols, doesn't matter) and institute a buy-back program. I would offer 100% of value in year one, 90% of value in year two, etc. until after 10 years you own a worthless gun that you can't sell or give to anyone. Combine that with a national registry and title documentation, just like with cars. All semi-autos have to be stored in a licensed shooting range or other secure facility.

In Louisiana, the NRA stood in the way of a law intended to keep fake guns off school property. The sheriff asked a legislator to draft the bill because the sheriff was afraid that one of his deputies would accidentally shoot a kid carrying a fake gun because the fake gun looked real. The NRA stood in the way of that law getting passed. You are right, there is a lot of crazy in the gun regulation debate, but one side is faaaaar crazier than the other.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/637/words-you-cant-say/act-two-3

Quote: Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses
—————
The National Rifle Association “applauded” Trump’s action. Chris Cox, NRA-ILA executive director, said the move “marks a new era for law-abiding gun owners, as we now have a president who respects and supports our arms.”
—————

Back