• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

seems to me that the hobby of target shooting needs to be retired. America can't handle it, blame the idiots who shoot kids.

My only optimistic silver lining with Trump's election is that he is just enough of a wildcard to say "fuck the republican establishment" as an impulsive response once he has to deal with talking to the parents of victims in a shooting, but after Vegas, I realized that wouldn't happen. He's motivated by money first and foremost, and he took about $60M from the NRA, so I have strong doubts that he will be moved by any human emotions. He'll express sympathy, read a speech, maybe answer a question or two in a rambling, uninformed, incoherent way, and then go home. Anything he might say that could be remotely construed as against the interest of the NRA will be walked by by Tuesday.

The FBI admits it got a tip about the shooter. Look for Republicans now to use this to change the narrative from gun control to overhauling the "corrupt" FBI.

Maybe everyone who wants a gun has to see a shrink. A medical doctor.

I’m serious. Is there a mental test people have to take?

I'm for it.

Honestly, to me, the "common sense" response is to treat gun ownership like we treat vehicle ownership and use. You have to go through training, which even SC Deac admits is a good thing. You are required to have a license. To obtain said licenses you have to demonstrate certain mental and physical competences that promote safe operation of a gun. And you have to have insurance should something go wrong with your gun.

The FBI admits it got a tip about the shooter. Look for Republicans now to use this to change the narrative from gun control to overhauling the "corrupt" FBI.

I would assume that those arguments aren't subject to the same prohibitions of waiting for the facts, not politicizing a tragedy, and the mandated initial grief period?

Maybe it’s not. Maybe he is crazy. Maybe he will say screw you NRA. Why not? Maybe he has a heart somewhere. He has an ego. Maybe that will kick in. Maybe he can do the right thing. He can’t walk away and do nothing. Nobody can be that cruel.

That poor mother talked about Baron. She will see Trump when he visits.

Maybe.....

Does Donald Trump strike you as a doting or affectionate father to his own kids? He boasts about not being involved in raising his kids when they are young. Money talks in his world. Full stop.

I apologize for my incorrect data in my earlier post about NRA contributions before this thread becomes about that. The NRA ONLY spent north of $30M on Trump in the election, not $60M.

SCdeacs membership in the NRA means he is complicit in child murder, it’s his life but it is what it is.

Maybe it’s not. Maybe he is crazy. Maybe he will say screw you NRA. Why not? Maybe he has a heart somewhere. He has an ego. Maybe that will kick in. Maybe he can do the right thing. He can’t walk away and do nothing. Nobody can be that cruel.

That poor mother talked about Baron. She will see Trump when he visits.

Maybe.....

60,000,000 NRA dollars says he can be that cruel. Maybe Trump is the only person who can fix guns, like only Nixon could go to China... but I will not hold my breath.

Nobody imagines that any laws or agency can or will eliminate all gun violence.

But seriously, you can’t look at the rest of the world and think we cannot do better.

No he’s does not strike me as a doting father.

However he’s nuts and his ego is bigger than 30 mil

The rubes are pretty passionate about their guns, and Trump is pretty passionate about their adoration. He’s not going to jeopardize that for some moral motivation. You’re grasping at straws.

Nobody imagines that any laws or agency can or will eliminate all gun violence.

But seriously, you can’t look at the rest of the world and think we cannot do better.

Why would the right ever admit that any other country does anything better than us?

Well I got this email and wrote back. I said “never a dime until trump does something about gun control. Screw the NRA and go to Florida and go back to DC and save our kids!”

The email:

Now that we are officially in 2018, President Trump has requested a list of all supporters who have renewed their 2018 Membership by MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.

These are the patriots who are laying the early foundation for an even stronger second year of our historic presidency. These are the patriots who refuse to let the media define our movement.

And this is your chance to put your name up top

Who sent this email?

Good for you for speaking out, btw.

The only reason Trump is going to Parkland is that it gives him an official reason to justify his weekly trip to Florida. (Note, they didn't even have to change travel plans as he was already headed to his private golf resort.)

The only way we get any change is to do everything we can to elect people who will do something.

Also join and donate to Moms Demand or Everytown.

Buy merch and wear it around!

The Virginia Legislature which is Republican controlled (barely) was able to block every proposed legislative initiative related to gun laws. Among the proposed legislative measures that the Pubs kept in committee and away from a vote during the most recent VA Assembly session:

- A law that would've required parental permission before a minor could keep a gun in the home (proposed in response to a parent's concern about finding their child with a gun while running with a bad crowd).
- A law that would've required licensed home day-care facilities to keep guns locked up while children were being cared for (proposed after a 4 year-old shot and killed himself at a in-home day care facility)
- A law that would've let local police departments prohibit the carrying of firearms at major public events (proposed in the wake of the Charlottesville riots and supported by county and city police throughout the State)
- A law that would've prohibited bump-stocks (naturally proposed in light of the Vegas massacre)

Here is the link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/bipartisanship-in-virginia-does-not-extend-to-gun-legislation/2018/02/15/df1ead18-1268-11e8-9570-29c9830535e5_story.html?utm_term=.49e004499d37

Elected legislators actively preventing even the most sensible and mild restrictions solely aimed at protecting children and the public at large. This is done even though the majority of the Virginia electorate supports such legislation. Blood on their hands; the legislators are aiding and abetting the murder of innocent people because the NRA controls their vote and their conscience.

Last edited:
Yep

You see, those common sense regulations are identical to grabbing everyone’s guns. Just the same.

Back