• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Florida school shooting suspect was on rifle team that got NRA grant

The troubled teen authorities say killed 17 people at a Florida high school excelled in an air-rifle marksmanship program supported by a grant from the National Rifle Association Foundation, part of a multimillion-dollar effort by the gun group to support youth shooting clubs. Nikolas Cruz, 19, was wearing a maroon shirt with the logo from the Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School when he was arrested Wednesday shortly after the shooting.

Former JROTC cadets told The Associated Press that Cruz was a member of the small varsity marksmanship team that trained together after class and traveled to other area schools to compete.

"He was a very good shot," said Aaron Diener, 20, who gave Cruz a ride to shooting competitions when they were part of the same four-member team in 2016. "He had an AR-15 he talked about, and pistols."

Omg I’m on it. I’m sending this to our school board. I’m sending it to ever high school kid I know. Cousins, friends family. Get it out there. Get it to the news organizations. Let’s go.

I’m not defending trump here - he couldn’t visit grieving families just yet. It’s too raw with funerals, grief and anger. He needs to go back there. He needs to talk to these parents. He needs to bring them to the White House.

The first funeral. That mother spoke out. The kids are speaking out. This won’t go away.

The state of Florida also has lax laws. The Feds need to take the lead. Our laws in NY aren’t perfect but they aren’t Florida.

Risc, with all due respect, that’s bullshit. Trump shouldn’t ever be let off the hook for not visiting the families. That’s part of this job. If they want to yell at you, you stand there and take it. You represent this country, and those parents earned the right to yell, cry out, and whatever else they need to respect at this country for failing the kids the have to put into the ground this week. He took a coward’s way out, because he’s a fucking coward.

c6d5a9ff8bb91b23c441407981fe0092.jpg

Risc, with all due respect, that’s bullshit. Trump shouldn’t ever be let off the hook for not visiting the families. That’s part of this job. If they want to yell at you, you stand there and take it. You represent this country, and those parents earned the right to yell, cry out, and whatever else they need to respect at this country for failing the kids the have to put into the ground this week. He took a coward’s way out, because he’s a fucking coward.

Eh, I don't know. If God forbid that someone I love is gunned down, about the last thing I want to do is deal with Donald freaking Trump. I'd be happier if he just stayed away.

Of course, reading into why he stayed away is another matter. One could hope that he had a nanosecond of self awareness and realized that he's a wretched person who is not capable of being anything remotely decent to these families, but nothing about him suggests that's the case.

Eh, I don't know. If God forbid that someone I love is gunned down, about the last thing I want to do is deal with Donald freaking Trump. I'd be happier if he just stayed away.

Of course, reading into why he stayed away is another matter. One could hope that he had a nanosecond of self awareness and realized that he's a wretched person who is not capable of being anything remotely decent to these families, but nothing about him suggests that's the case.

You still have to make the effort. Making those phone calls or looking those parents in the eye, are a really important part of cultivating the context necessary to make the decisions you do in that office. If the parents decline seeing him, that’s one thing, but you have to offer. It’s not just about honking the horns of big boy trucks and wearing red hats flying around on AFO. You should carry the burden of their grief, because we are paying you for that.

i know but this country didn’t give a shit after elementary school kids were gunned down so we certainly won’t care about some high schoolers

Though I share your skepticism, I also have some (likely naive) optimism that maybe, just maybe, these kids will become galvanized and be bold enough to make real changes 10-20-30 years down the road.

Though I share your skepticism, I also have some (likely naive) optimism that maybe, just maybe, these kids will become galvanized and be bold enough to make real changes 10-20-30 years down the road.

Yep.

I discussed the shooting with my students on Thursday. The first comment was a young woman who said she feels “helpless.” She said something like “We are young. We can’t do anything. We are counting on our leaders and they won’t do anything.”

I would gladly vote for a passionate and engaged 18 year old over the people we have in office now.

If the students are going to walk out, I don't see how the rest of us can sit at our desks on April 20th

If you skipped class on 4/20 at my public high school, they secretly put your name on the "random" drug-testing list.

My niece is a teacher along with her husband.

My niece told me the date of the walk out is pot day??

Anyone?

Yes, Google 420 if you don't know the significance of that number and corresponding date.

Yep.

I discussed the shooting with my students on Thursday. The first comment was a young woman who said she feels “helpless.” She said something like “We are young. We can’t do anything. We are counting on our leaders and they won’t do anything.”

I would gladly vote for a passionate and engaged 18 year old over the people we have in office now.

Paul Ryan's quote about knee jerk reactions and waiting for the facts pisses me off to no end. It's not just a reaction to this shooting, but all of them you tremendous soulless asshole.

If you skipped class on 4/20 at my public high school, they secretly put your name on the "random" drug-testing list.

Unfortunate choice on their part. They could have easily gone with April 16 (VT massacre). If it had to be a Friday (to march on Washington or local statehouse perhaps?) do it 4/13-no reason it has to be an anniversary.

Why is the coincidence of pot day unfortunate? A huge walk out on any day is a great first step. The youth should lead on this issue it’s their world soon they need to shape it not us olds

Why is the coincidence of pot day unfortunate? A huge walk out on any day is a great first step. The youth should lead on this issue it’s their world soon they need to shape it not us olds

I mean, I guess anyone who would want to dismiss it will find a reason no matter what, but it sucks that they picked what is probably the most famous skip school day of the year. If there are pictures of thousands of students marching on Washington or their state capitol, the effect would probably be offset.

Didn’t the Columbine shooters choose 4/20 for a reason? It’s not a coincidence.

Back