• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Tin foil hat time. Liberal conspiracy to enact gun reforms.

Arm every student, teacher, lunch room attendant and janitor.

Obama is having his staff draw down on some of the action...the rhetoric may remain but the word is that we should not expect Harry Reid to bring much to the floor. Have some tough western state elections on the horizon and the issue is more of a non-starter for the D candidates / incumbents.

http://www.ijreview.com/2013/01/29960-harry-reid-we-must-be-cool-and-cautious-about-gun-control/

Harry has said "cool and cautious" is the route for gun control and mentions John Kennedy and Hubert Humphrey as two staunch advocates for the 2nd ammendment.

Harry also trots out the "admixture"...saying that the problem is not just guns but also tv, movies, video games, etc.,
. This is the usual fare on which libs typically dine when they hear an R mouthpiece saying the same...

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of people blame movies and video games, but no recommendations what should be done about it.

Interesting article in one of the Tampa papers this weekend about how Florida offers huge tax breaks to gun manufacturers, video game manufacturers, and Hollywood.

Obama is staging mass shootings to help gun manufacturers get their sales up...helps the economy and creates jobs. Damn he's crafty.

You mean where the 32 round magazine or whatever it was that was used suffered a broken spring and stopped feeding cartridges? Not sure which pistol was used, but I bet you would have to go back to a Mauser 1893 broomhandle to find a pistol that has a regular capacity of even 20 cartridges...

FN 5.7 is a 20 round pistol I believe.

Newtown was a good advertisement for that rifle.

I thought NBC came out a few days back and confirmed that the rifle was NOT used at Newtown and that only handguns were used.

ETA: Never mind. Apparently it's still disputed. The video I was thinking of was an NBC news video linked off this page: http://www.ijreview.com/2013/01/30208-nbc-admits-no-assault-rifle-used-in-newtown-shooting/

But this link on NBC news from four hours ago says the police say the assault rifle was in the school. Not sure if that means it was used or not, according to this link. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5056022..._ct/t/sandy-hook-gunman-had-guns-state-police

Not sure why they can't just get this right once and for all... Oh well, back to lurking now. Carry on!

Last edited:
While watching it, I was amazed at how at ease the boy was during the murders and how little remorse he had," Evans wrote. "Afterward, I was thinking to myself it would be the same for me when I kill someone."
------------

I don't think you can just blame the movie.

The confession makes it sound like feels he killed his sister because she was racist.

I don't know, I have trouble believing that the movie Halloween was more to blame than mental health problems and the availability of a gun.

While watching it, I was amazed at how at ease the boy was during the murders and how little remorse he had," Evans wrote. "Afterward, I was thinking to myself it would be the same for me when I kill someone."
------------

I don't think you can just blame the movie.

I agree. My only point is that these are difficult problems because there is a web of causation and contributing factors. I think it is useful to acknoweldge the complexity of the problem if society is going to find a solution. Mental health may very well be the biggest factor in these mass shootings.

I agree. My only point is that these are difficult problems because there is a web of causation and contributing factors. I think it is useful to acknoweldge the complexity of the problem if society is going to find a solution. Mental health may very well be the biggest factor in these mass shootings.

Do you think the availability of guns could well be the biggest factor?

It's not like someone watched a movie and accidentally died.

In my view, untreated mental illness is the biggest factor.

So you think that the biggest reason that other developed countries DON'T have the huge number of gun deaths that we have in this country is that they treat their mentally ill better?

Last edited:
This case is horrific but I think it supports my argument for mandatory insurance. The killer stole the gun from his grandfather. Speculation: I bet that grampa knew the gun was missing, and had a suspicion that grandson stole it (because he knows who has been in his house, and there's no broken windows, etc.) But Grampa didn't call the cops on his grandson. If grampa is paying a substantial amount every year in gun insurance, I bet he would have (a) locked up that gun to get the insurance discounts, and (b) reported it when it went missing.

Back