• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

A friend of mine swore that if he’d been in that Colorado theater, he could’ve shot the gunman with no collateral damage.

I told him in the dark, with flashing lights, screaming people and a gunman who has the element of surprise, he had zero chance.

I find it a little strange that the people in know most adamant about needing guns to protect from government tyranny are also the most vocal about their disdain for people taking a knee in protest of state based actors unjustly killing civilians.

Not to mention the absurdity of the notion that a typical, pot-bellied, middle aged or older white guy could possibly stand up to the US military in a showdown, even armed with AR-15s. The US military has vastly superior training, equipment, physical conditioning, and weapons compared to your average rural "militia" types. Even a large number of gun nuts could easily be taken out with drones, missiles, fighters, or a variety of other weapons. If the best argument by gun nuts for owning rapid-fire, semiautomatic weapons is to prevent a government takeover, then they have no realistic argument. If the US government really wanted to become a dictatorship and they maintained control of the military, most of these right-wing gun nuts would quickly discover how useless their stockpiles of weapons really were - right before they were blown away by professionals.

A friend of mine swore that if he’d been in that Colorado theater, he could’ve shot the gunman with no collateral damage.

I told him in the dark, with flashing lights, screaming people and a gunman who has the element of surprise, he had zero chance.

yeah and all of a sudden you have two people shooting, so what if there are more than one "good guys with a gun" present? who do they then shoot at?

I mean, I want to take her guns, but the rest of the post was sound.

What’s crazy about that is most of the people making those claims would likely welcome a military led government takeover.

These people believe “he had a gun” is justification for government to kill civilians.

And here is another related sad truth. A lot of these mass shooters have military training. Joey Pew Pew has little chance taking one on with his concealed weapon.

Interesting chart comparing gun deaths and gun laws in each state.

DWVlOxrUMAACf05.jpg:large

lots of fluky coincidences

It does show the level of thinking in this WH; they need "distractions" like mass shootings to take people's minds off the constant chaos and offensive actions/words/tweets emanating from Trump and most of his minions. His rise in the polls also seems to be slowing/reversing; Rasmussen, which has consistently given him the highest approval ratings, shows him moving in the last 10 days or so from a 49% approve/48% disapprove to 47% approve/52% disapprove as of yesterday. Gallup has him dropping from 17 points underwater (40% approve/57% disapprove) about a week ago to 22 points as of today. Rasmussen also shows that 55% of Americans still believe the country is "on the wrong track".

Geez. During a national tragedy people want to hear more from their leaders, not less.

If they’re real leaders.

I'm not sure who is the bigger POS - the people who harass Sandy Hook parents about a "false flag" or the a-holes going after grieving teenagers that are perceived to be "enemies of the president".

CNN's Jack Kingston: "I have a hard time believing" that Florida school shooting survivors can organize a rally by themselves

KINGSTON: Well, let's ask ourselves, do we really think -- and I say this sincerely -- do we really think 17-year-olds on their own are going to plan a nationwide rally?

CAMEROTA: Jack --

KINGSTON: I would say to you very plainly that organized groups that are out there like George Soros are always ready to take up the charge, and it's kind of like instant rally, instant protest and those groups are ready to take it -- take it to the streets.

On a positive note:

Kids in Iowa City staged a walkout and walked to the Old Capitol Building to protest.
http://www.kimt.com/content/news/474501343.html

IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — Dozens of high school students have left their Iowa City classrooms to send a message: School shootings must stop.

Students from at least three schools — City High, West High and South East Junior High — walked Monday to a gathering spot in downtown Iowa City. By 11:45 a.m., an estimated 200 students were chanting in front of the Old Capitol building. Some carried signs decrying gun violence.
A student read the names of the 17 victims of last week's Parkland, Florida, shooting. The other students repeated the names in unison.
District spokeswoman Kristin Pedersen said in a statement the district applauded the students' social action and honors their free speech rights. She says students were encouraged to notify their parents if they planned to participate in the walk.

Can't post the video I saw on Facebook, but it was impressive. Apparently, the Junior High kids walked 2 miles to get to the protest.

Y'all conservatives done fucked up. The kids are starting to mobilize.

Back