• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Or if the runs for gun liability was the same as for cars, it would change many things. If gramps doesn't report the stolen or missing, then he should be civilly responsible for the damage done with it.

This doesn't infringe on your right to bear arms.

The problem with gun insurnce isn't on the insured side and whether it would help there, it's that no insurance company is going to carry it.

The problem with gun insurnce isn't on the insured side and whether it would help there, it's that no insurance company is going to carry it.

I disagree. That's a huge, huge market and insurance companies could effectively price the premiums to cover the payouts.

Why do you think that no insurance company would carry it?

They insure cars. Cars kill almost as many people as guns every year. I am curious as to why you think insurance companies wouldn't love to have this business.

They insure cars. Cars kill almost as many people as guns every year. I am curious as to why you think insurance companies wouldn't love to have this business.

Except your car insurance isn't going to pay out if someone steals your car and causes damage or injury. That's not how car liability insurance works.

Except your car insurance isn't going to pay out if someone steals your car and causes damage or injury. That's not how car liability insurance works.

two points: (1) I think in some circumstances they do pay out if the person who "steals" your car is part of your household and was permitted access to the car. This might have covered Adam Lanza, for example. A lot of gun deaths happen with the gun owner or people in the gun owner's household pulling the trigger. (2) i don't think gun insurance would pay out in true "stranger thefts" either. however, the insurance companies would give discounts or outright require their insureds to secure their guns, making theft less likely and encouraging responsible gun ownership.

Out of curiosity, why doesn't this thread include the murders in Chicago over the weekend?

ChicagoC.jpg

3 shot at Phoenix business complex

Man kills bus driver and abducts child

Neighbors of Jimmy Lee Dykes say he was supposed to have been in court on Wednesday, facing charges that he'd shot at them during a December argument over the dirt road that separated their properties.

Instead, he was holed up in an underground bunker dug into his yard, surrounded by sheriff's deputies, state troopers and police.

Also inside the bunker, authorities say, is a 6-year-old boy seized from a school bus at gunpoint Tuesday afternoon. The bus driver, 66-year-old Charles Poland Jr., was shot and killed, but school officials said Wednesday he saved 21 other children on board.

So some lady who testified at Congress had this to say today:

"An assault weapon in the hands of a young woman defending her babies in her home becomes a defense weapon and the peace of mind that a woman has as she's facing three, four, five violent attackers, intruders in her home with her children screaming in the background, the peace of mind that she has knowing that she has a scary looking gun gives her more courage when she's fighting hard and violent criminals," Trotter said. "If we ban these types of assault weapons, you are putting women at a great disadvantage."http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/30/politics/congress-guns/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

As I have asked many times in this and other threads, somebody please provide a link to a news story where this scenario has ever happened in the US. If there are bands of 3-5 violent criminals breaking into homes to harm women and children, I want to know about it so I can take preventive measures.

So some lady who testified at Congress had this to say today:

"An assault weapon in the hands of a young woman defending her babies in her home becomes a defense weapon and the peace of mind that a woman has as she's facing three, four, five violent attackers, intruders in her home with her children screaming in the background, the peace of mind that she has knowing that she has a scary looking gun gives her more courage when she's fighting hard and violent criminals," Trotter said. "If we ban these types of assault weapons, you are putting women at a great disadvantage."http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/30/politics/congress-guns/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

As I have asked many times in this and other threads, somebody please provide a link to a news story where this scenario has ever happened in the US. If there are bands of 3-5 violent criminals breaking into homes to harm women and children, I want to know about it so I can take preventive measures.

4049.jpg

:noidea:

OK, so only women can own assault weapons. Problem solved!

two points: (1) I think in some circumstances they do pay out if the person who "steals" your car is part of your household and was permitted access to the car. This might have covered Adam Lanza, for example. A lot of gun deaths happen with the gun owner or people in the gun owner's household pulling the trigger. (2) i don't think gun insurance would pay out in true "stranger thefts" either. however, the insurance companies would give discounts or outright require their insureds to secure their guns, making theft less likely and encouraging responsible gun ownership.

Hypothetical:
You pay $100/year/gun for insurance. Someone steals your gun (because you didn't lock it up) and shoots 3 people dead. Now your gun insurance is $5000/gun/year (or whatever)....ok, well then, I guess you just won't be owning a gun....but the insurance didn't really change your behavior did it? it's not like driving where driving is almost a necessity so you have an incentive to drive safetly or else you'll be paying out the wazoo for insurance.

The only thing that I can see gun insurance doing is ensuring a victim got something, which is all good and well, but I just don't see how insurance changes any behavior

Hypothetical:
You pay $100/year/gun for insurance. Someone steals your gun (because you didn't lock it up) and shoots 3 people dead. Now your gun insurance is $5000/gun/year (or whatever)....ok, well then, I guess you just won't be owning a gun....but the insurance didn't really change your behavior did it? it's not like driving where driving is almost a necessity so you have an incentive to drive safetly or else you'll be paying out the wazoo for insurance.

The only thing that I can see gun insurance doing is ensuring a victim got something, which is all good and well, but I just don't see how insurance changes any behavior

If you don't lock up your gun, no fucking way will you get rates that low in the first place. That blows your whole hypothetical. This dude would be paying $5000 a year in the first place, because he didn't lock up his gun. So he has an incentive TO secure his weapons (to reduce his rate to $100/yr), and the gun is never stolen.

Insurance companies aren't stupid.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/01/23/m...ure-to-report-gun-ownership-to-childs-school/

A Missouri lawmaker has proposed legislation that would require parents to notify their children’s school if they own a firearm.

The bill, introduced by Missouri Democratic State Sen. Maria Chappelle-Nadal, would make it a crime to fail to report gun ownership to a school and to store a firearm in a place where a child could possibly access it. The legislation also criminalizes failure to prevent illegal possession of a firearm by a child under the age of 18.

“This act requires a parent or guardian to notify a school district, or the governing body of a private or charter school, that he or she owns a firearm within 30 days of enrolling the child in school or becoming the owner of a firearm,” the bill reads in part. “The written notification only needs to include the names of the parent and any child attending the school and the fact that the parent owns a firearm.”...

“I am not trying to take away the gun rights of any parents or any other citizens. I believe in the Second Amendment,” Chappelle-Nadal said.

“It encourages parents to make sure they store their guns safely in their home, it also gives the school districts the opportunity to help encourage gun safety in the community and in the household,” she added.

Back