• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Although I suppose the former gun owners, with contributions and corporate sponsorship could fund the coyote's only highway at a cost to the taxpayer of only nine hundred million dollars

Last edited:
We generally agree that the state shouldn't kill someone for robberies, yet we're fine when citizens take it upon themselves to do so. The fact that the website is called "gunssaveslives" is almost comical, given that most of the stories involve deaths where there would be none otherwise.

Exactly, what is missing from the gun conversation is ethics. A robbery does not warrant being killed.

Also, as the retiring Archbishop of Canterbury recently said in a radio address (paraphrasing) "the expression is if you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail; well if you have a gun, everything looks like a target." We're too quick to praise people who kill in self defense instead of considering the deeper issues of a culture that can't handle conflict (not that you should be able talk down a guy breaking into your house, but towards the larger point of taking justice info our own hands).

sent via Tapatalk on Galaxy Note II

Exactly, what is missing from the gun conversation is ethics. A robbery does not warrant being killed. Also, as the retiring Archbishop of Canterbury recently said in a radio address (paraphrasing) "the expression is if you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail; well if you have a gun, everything looks like a target." We're too quick to praise people who kill in self defense instead of considering the deeper issues of a culture that can't handle conflict (not that you should be able talk down a guy breaking into your house, but towards the larger point of taking justice info our own hands).

Then take the guns off the IRS blokes. Let me and the IRS director's wife mudwrestle for it.

LOL at the Editors note

A homeowner in Sacramento is being treated for non life threatening wounds after successfully fighting off 3 armed home invaders who tried to attack his home last night.

The homeowner grabbed a weapon after 3 armed men tried to break into the home, and opened fire.

The homeowner was shot by one of the suspects, but he managed to shoot all 3 suspects. One of the shot suspects died at the scene and the other 2 are being detained by police as they try to figure out exactly what happened.

Residents say there were children in the home at the time of the attempted home invasion. There may have been a children’s slumber party going on at the time of the attack.

Editor’s note: We are thankful that the homeowner was fast acting and armed or we could be talking about a mass murder of children at a slumber party today.

So in this editors mind, people go into a house to rob it and without resistance the likely outcome would be the mass murder of children in a slumber party.

No offense, but posting links such as the above generally makes you look like a lunatic, and why the idea of you walking around with a gun scares the crap outta me.

You don't need to defend your flat screen television with lethal force. I got into my car the other day and noticed my glove compartment open and center console open when I got in. Someone rumaged around and I have nothing in there so didn't notice anything missing. If I caught the guy should I have killed him if I was carrying? My worry is you would have, since you read these stories and see positive stories of people standing up for themselves.

If the average gun owner were to purchase insurance for their personal property that could be stolen in a home invasion it would likely cost you like $3 per month, i.e. an amount significantly less than you have spent on your guns.

Granted the price of coyote insurance is reaching unaffordable levels these days.

Yes obviously if you had shot him dead, you would have saved a life and become and NRA hero too.

So, what's everybody waiting for?

You don't need to defend your flat screen television with lethal force. I got into my car the other day and noticed my glove compartment open and center console open when I got in. Someone rumaged around and I have nothing in there so didn't notice anything missing. If I caught the guy should I have killed him if I was carrying? My worry is you would have, since you read these stories and see positive stories of people standing up for themselves.

If the police caught the thief breaking into the car, what should they do? Should they engage in fisticuffs with the thief? Should call the thief's mother to talk with him? Should they allow the thief to walk away with the goods rather than risk injury for mere grand larceny? Should there even be any prohibition on breaking into someone's car if using deadly force is not justified to stop it? If there is a law prohibiting something, it means that someone, somewhere can use deadly force to stop it or to apprehend the perp. Otherwise a perp able to pull a policewoman's hair lives above the law.

they should gun him/her down with assault rifles armed with armor piercing bullets

Can you determine the intent of an intruder upon his unwelcome entry into your house? I have a pump-action tactical shotgun and am more than willing to allow an intruder to immediately leave my premises upon hearing the pump-action in my gun. However, if he does not choose to do so, then I can only surmise he has intentions other than robbery alone.

Are you being serious? Start with the 12 year girl in Oklahoma who shot the creepster breaking into her house and the CCW permit holder in Florida who shot the two guys who tried to rob the gaming parlor. Those are just
The most recent examples I can think of off the top of my head.

lol

If there is a law prohibiting something, it means that someone, somewhere can use deadly force to stop it or to apprehend the perp.

That's not actually how it works. Deadly force is used as a last resort when there is a true threat, not a way to take down a fleeing thief.

I agree with you, irresponsible people should not own guns

Then how do we make sure fewer irresponsible people have guns? It seems all these "responsible" gun owners agree on this, but if anyone suggests increasing the number of hurdles needed to prove responsible gun ownership, they freak out over regulations. Every single one of you knows we have a gun problem, but you don't want the inconvenience of having to jump through more hoops to buy one? This discussion needs some rationality. I own a gun. It was too easy to acquire. Too many people are dying from these things. Almost as many people died from firearms as did from car accidents last year. That is staggering. And if I remember the stat correctly, less than 1% of those firearm deaths were legally defensible.

plus you have people like smu who think a badass old man opening fire on a couple of black robbers is an ok tradeoff for mass murders

That's not actually how it works. Deadly force is used as a last resort when there is a true threat, not a way to take down a fleeing thief.

Follow it through, Rev. If the threat of deadly force works and the perp does as he is told, no one gets shot. Otherwise, gunplay happens. Of course, if the perp is small enough to be overpowered without risk of any serious injury, the police may elect to do that. We don't really have laws that say "you are not permitted to rape and pillage unless you can outrun the police". If the violation is so minor that no one is ever permitted to apprehend the perp by using or by threatening to use a gun, then it is a useless law since enforcement is impossible.

Follow it through, Rev. If the threat of deadly force works and the perp does as he is told, no one gets shot. Otherwise, gunplay happens. Of course, if the perp is small enough to be overpowered without risk of any serious injury, the police may elect to do that. We don't really have laws that say "you are not permitted to rape and pillage unless you can outrun the police". If the violation is so minor that no one is ever permitted to apprehend the perp by using or by threatening to use a gun, then it is a useless law since enforcement is impossible.

Talk to a cop, that's not how it works.

How does it work? How do laws work if the enforcers of the laws can't use deadly force? Educate me, Rev. This is a very important point. If we can do this, we don't need guns.

Have you ever been tased or pepper sprayed?

Back