• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

You mean arming teachers to the teeth won't stop school shootings? Say it isn't so!

But it will allow Republicans to blame teachers for school shootings instead of accepting the blame themselves.

But it will allow Republicans to blame teachers for school shootings instead of accepting the blame themselves.

"It's not our fault that damn librul school teachers can't even shoot straight! What we really need to do is privatize our school system, fire all these worthless librul teachers, and hire conservatives. They'll kill any school shooters every single time!"

Geez. Two shooters and no arrests?

And to the previous point:

“NBC New York reported that it appeared the attack took place during an annual community event called Oldtimers Day. Though the festival was nearing its end, about 100 officers were still in the area when the shooting occurred, police said.”

100 cops and over a dozen wounded and no arrests. Tell me how “gun free zones” are the problem.

https://gen.medium.com/guns-kill-loved-ones-but-offer-little-self-defense-c13db57decaa

One new study, published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, compares firearm ownership levels and homicide rates in all 50 states, from 1990 through 2016, looking also at the victim’s relationship to the offender. It finds that for every increase in gun ownership at 10% increments, domestic firearm homicide — specifically involving an intimate partner or other family member — goes up 13%, while non-domestic firearm homicide goes up just 2%. In roughly half of all homicides reviewed, the victim was a friend or acquaintance of the offender.

"A person with access to a gun is almost twice as likely to be the victim of homicide and is three times more likely to commit suicide, based on an analysis of 15 studies, 13 of which were in the United States. These findings, detailed in the Annals of Internal Medicine in 2014, also found that when firearms are accessible, women are nearly three times as likely to be homicide victims, and men are nearly four times more likely to commit suicide."

wow, and at the same time not surprising.

"A person with access to a gun is almost twice as likely to be the victim of homicide and is three times more likely to commit suicide, based on an analysis of 15 studies, 13 of which were in the United States. These findings, detailed in the Annals of Internal Medicine in 2014, also found that when firearms are accessible, women are nearly three times as likely to be homicide victims, and men are nearly four times more likely to commit suicide."

wow, and at the same time not surprising.

Given that most murders are committed by someone the victim already knows, having a gun lying around the house really isn't the best idea in many ways. The NRA scare scenario of total strangers kicking in your door and "invading" your home - and of you blowing them away with your handy Glock - doesn't really happen all that often. Getting killed by someone you know (including relatives) is an even more likely option. In which case the gun you own for protection may very well be turned against you.

Given that most murders are committed by someone the victim already knows, having a gun lying around the house really isn't the best idea in many ways. The NRA scare scenario of total strangers kicking in your door and "invading" your home - and of you blowing them away with your handy Glock - doesn't really happen all that often. Getting killed by someone you know (including relatives) is an even more likely option. In which case the gun you own for protection may very well be turned against you.

I don't understand how so many "responsible" gun owners tell you how safely locked away their guns are to prevent any incidents, but they'll also tell you how they're ready at a moment's notice to blow away an intruder.

It’s dumb people that don’t know how to take care of guns that get they fambly shot up an’ whut not.

Since I’m (obviously) not one of them, me, mine, an my guns is all good.

they don't see it as mental gymnastics because they're stupid

Today’s mass shooting is brought to you by El Paso, TX.

Given the proximity to the border my first thought is that this may be someone trying to perversely take border control into their own hands.

Three people are in custody. Could be a group instead of a “lone wolf.” You could be right. Either that or one shooter and two wannabe heroes.

Back